Almost no one cares if you're using a knife

This is a true story of no one caring from last night. :)

Went to the mall about 45 minutes before closing; that way I could buy a bamboo stick and a cane tip for it before the mall closed (going to the gym after; same plaza).
The bamboo stick is a birthday present for my brother...long-time joke going back to when he was 7 years old.

Well, the end the cane tip would go on was angled.
I had to put a tip on it, because it would not fit in the gym locker, so I was going to have to lug it around with me there.

So, used the Swisschamp to trim it more even while sitting on a bench.
The blade combined with the file ended up getting it good enough. :thumbsup:

While I was doing this, a security guard came by and kind of looked at me.
I told him I was trimming the end so the cane tip would fit on it better.
He said "Okay", and went on his way.
The girl at the Things Engraved booth I was sitting near said "Is that bamboo? Looks neat!"

This is just one example of how no one really cares when you are using your knife. ;)

Being ignored is what happens the vast majority of the time that knife wielders wield knives, but being ignored also defeats the purpose of carrying knives simply to show them off/impress bystanders, which many knife-owners seem to deem as the main reason to carry 'fancy' knives at all. How else will you feel like your expensive knife purchase was worth it unless some innocent bystander sees it in use and comments on it being 'cool', 'scary', or 'fancy'?

I dunno. That kind of reaction might not be guaranteed if you were using a bigger knife than an SAK. I mean even your swisschamp caught the attention of the security guard

He was just walking by.
I think the 5'6" length of bamboo was what initially caught his attention. :D

Being ignored is what happens the vast majority of the time that knife wielders wield knives, but being ignored also defeats the purpose of carrying knives simply to show them off/impress bystanders, which many knife-owners seem to deem as the main reason to carry 'fancy' knives at all. How else will you feel like your expensive knife purchase was worth it unless some innocent bystander sees it in use and comments on it being 'cool', 'scary', or 'fancy'?

I guess I'll have to get my cool/scary/fancy validation from the internet. ;)

Folks in the hospital totally cared about my Boker Griploc. An orderly thought it looked awesome and showed me his Benchmade, one PCA loved the idea of the nonlocking modern folder and a nurse told me she carried a different Boker and talked to me about her stun gun.

I tend to agree, most people don't mind as long as you're not being a fool.

Matt, I think that was a broad statement. Certainly not true across the board.

I guess I carry a nice knife because it makes me happy ... and even if I've got a $500.00 or $600.00 knife in my pocket ... it's very very rare that anyone knows and less likely they see it ... so no need to show it off.

I tend to agree, most people don't mind as long as you're not being a fool.

And picking the right knife, too.
I used the Swisschamp rather than the Medford Marauder...mainly because the Marauder does not have a file. :D

I guess I carry a nice knife because it makes me happy ... and even if I've got a $500.00 or $600.00 knife in my pocket ... it's very very rare that anyone knows and less likely they see it ... so no need to show it off.

Besides, no one will be impressed that you spent $500 or $1000 on a knife.

true. never have had anyone look at me twice using a knife as a cutting tool. no matter the knife. big fixed blade, otf, large or small folder etc.

heck watched a guy sharpening a machete with a file in the back of a van sitting with the doors open in a grocery store parking lot filled with stuck up stuffy type soccer moms and trophy wives about a year ago in jax suburbs. only i noticed and i only noticed to see what machete he was sharpening.

Reactions seem to be mixed. So, I generally don't worry about it when I need to use my knife. But if I have a SAK in my pocket in addition to a modern folder, I'd use the SAK in a public place (judgmental eyes). That said, my modern knives tend to be smallish (Delica sized) and not overly scary (in my opinion).

The fact is that most people aren't very observant. You could be using a sword and they wouldn't notice.

Now that is one cool hospital!!
Try that here in NJ......you’ll get a very different reaction!!
Went to the ER couple weeks ago and forgot I had my Advocate in my pocket.
When they admitted me and saw the knife they had security come in and put it in the ‘weapon’ safe till I left.
Ugh
Joe

Folks in the hospital totally cared about my Boker Griploc. An orderly thought it looked awesome and showed me his Benchmade, one PCA loved the idea of the nonlocking modern folder and a nurse told me she carried a different Boker and talked to me about her stun gun.

I might add that the security guard didn't know your BF "handle"

I'll have to see if I can get him to buy my books. :D

Found out that the guy who used to work at the gym counter who got a copy of my books got too freaked out by Stabman: Diary of a Superhero/Psycho, and had to stop reading. The second book would probably make him unable to ever sleep again. ;)

Hey, it says right on the back of the first one "not recommended for timid readers."

Back