Am I weird for cutting my steak and chicken with a folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Girly friend thinks so and I have gotten some unusual looks at Texas Roadhouse when I pull out the Griptillian and start cutting away 😂

I make a point to post pictures on my Trip Advisor restaurant reviews with my EDC starring on them. So nope, you're not weird.
Enjoy your food!

Gotta agree with the girlfriend. No doubt she understands that the ceramic plate will wreak havoc on your edge, and that a folder and food is a recipe for food gunk all over the works of the knife.

I think its weird in a restaurant. at home, or at a picnic, no problem. but a restaurant provides you with a functional, though not very exciting knife that they will then clean.

I don't at restaurants but at a BBQ or something you bet I'll whip out the pocket knife if its needed

Nothing weird about it at all, and If I'm eating at my family's house or something I always use what's in my pocket because I know that it's sharp.
I also use it at jack in the box, because I order chicken nuggets which I cut up and mix into an order of bacon cheddar potato wedges.

BTW I was at applebee's on Friday and there was a butter knife instead of a steak knife so I used my Barlow to cut my chicken.

I love knives. Always have. But I have always kinda looked at people pulling their edc to cut food at a restaurant as a "look at me" type tactic. Sorta like crocodile Dundee shaving with his bowie. Its not practical, will hurt the edge of the knife, and steak knives are provided at restaurants for a reason. So you DONT have to bring your own. I have a knife on me for one purpose. To use when I need it. And cutting a steak at a dining establishment that provides silverware to me isn't a need. It just brings attention needlessly. And I think of all the crap I cut with my knife and the last thing I want to do is cut my food with it. If you really want to be OG pimp knife user while dining out get yourself a high quality set of personal silverware in a case and bring it to the place. You may be looked at as a douche, but it will be the right tool for the job.

If I have to use my own knife to cut a steak then the steak is going back to the "chef".

EDIT: I don't think you're weird for using your own knife though. Hike your own hike and all.

If I have to use my own knife to cut a steak then the steak is going back to the "chef".

EDIT: I don't think you're weird for using your own knife though. Hike your own hike and all.

Bingo. Butter knife ought to be more than adequate.

Define weird, better yet, who cares. Yes you're weird. It's more fun to be weird.

I don't do it with a Manix 2 or such, but I have no problem using a traditional like a GEC 73. Get a cup of coffee afterwards, turn the cup over, and touch up the edge. No worries about the plate 👍

Enjoy life. It's short

I'm on of the fence with this one. It's just poor taste to use your own knife in a restaurant but, my SOG Flash 2 is one of the best steak knives I have ever used.

I just prefer a sharp knife when it comes to food.

OK. Nothing wrong with that. But why are you asking if we think its weird then? :confused:

And has been said before...if your restaurant knife needs to be that sharp maybe it's time to stop eating at Texas Roadhouse.

do what makes you happy

"Enjoy life. It's short" borrowed from KBA

It's no more weird than anything else humans often enjoy doing.

So ask yourself one question: "Am I human?"
If the answer is "Yes," then what you're doing isn't too weird. ;)

I had a 100.00 wagyu beef ribeye, dry aged, about 2 months ago in a restaurant. The knives provided were decent looking but not even close to sharp. Out comes the 804cf, felt zero shame about it.

Or use a Leatherman squirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back