Anyone else get that "the one" knife on your mind, but then buy other knives instead?

Seems like I always get super-interested in a knife and then proceed to buy other knives instead of the one I really want. I don't know what it is - maybe I'm subconsciously thinking that I'm eventually going to get a deal on the Exchange, or just that folks will review them and I'll find out more about them (or the bugs will get worked out), or I'm just afraid that it's going to be disappointing, but I always seem to get a knife (this is especially true of folders for me) on the brain and then it seems like I go out of my way not to buy it.

I just did it this last time with the Techno - really wanted it as soon as I saw it, but instead of picking one up, I got an H20 Grip instead. I've sort of wanted an H20 Grip for a while, but not nearly as badly as I wanted the Techno.

Am I the only one who does this?

Chambriard Compact - I'm worried that it will ruin all other production slipjoints for me, so I keep holding out while I hoard more of the world's Case supply.

I have wanted a BUCK Vantage Pro since they came out and have bought everything but (almost).

Some double the price of the Vanatge. In the back of my mind I guess I think it will always be available.
Probably going to get burned with that mindset.

I have done this, too. I got really fixated on the Chris Reeve hollow handle fixed blade for a while, then discovered that it is no longer manufactured. However, I saw some positive reviews here on BF about the Taiwan-made Schrade SCHF1 replica and I ended up purchasing that instead. Problem for me ended up being that I can't shake the knowledge that made-in-Taiwan "Schrade" is just a brand name, not a manufacturer. Anyway, the SCHF1 just sits in its box in the closet. There is no pride of ownership there for me. On the bright side, at least it cost waay less than the CRK due to its country of origin. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
This happens to me all of the time. I have 3 or so knives in my "top-tier" of knives that I want to purchase and then have a list of about 15 or so "second-tier" knives that I would snatch up if the price is right. My dilemma is that the "top-tier" knives on my list are always more expensive and I end up finding a good deal on a "middle-tier" knife while I'm saving up. When I turn my attention back to my top three, I always end up stopping myself by thinking, "But I just got a knife..."

Rinse, repeat...

Yup, but recently I've vowed to stick to my guns and buy nothing but 3...no wait 4 knives I really want.

1 A.G. Russell gents titanium framelock
2 A.G's 2013 Texas Ranger knife
3 A.G.'s Red Rucarta Cowboy (seeing a pattern here?)
4 A full size Bullet by Tim Britton

Other than that...nothing for me for a while. (But you just KNOW that something will pop up)....

Yep. In my case, it's the Gayle Bradley. It's been at the top of my wish list for a while, during which I've picked up other knives and spent enough to have bought the Gayle Bradley with change left over. For me, I'm happy with the knives I have now, so I'm not in any particular rush to pick up items from my wish list. That said, the other knives I have picked up were also on the wish list, and they just happened to show up at a price too good to pass up.

Thats the RMD for me. I have wanted one for a long time now but keep buying other stuff instead. I think its the wait time that is keeping me from buying it but not really sure.

I was going to buy the wilson star light, eyeing it for weeks.
Then I bought the ZT560 on a whim. Hope it will arrive tomorrow.

Hellz yea! I've had knives I ordered on the way and was already looking at another I thought I should have bought. I guess I just have this never ending love lust for knives????

I've wanted a Cold Steel Trailmaster for ages now, but I always put it off for some folder. I suppose it's because I rationalize that I will carry and use the folder far more than I could ever use the Trailmaster.

Yes. It happens to me pretty often. Usually when "The One Knife" that I've been lusting after costs a lot of money (or at least more money than I have to spend). I ran into this problem with the ZT500, the ZT550, the ZT560 (Is there some kind of Pattern here?)... They all look really, really awesome on paper, but they also cost a lot (to me) and I've never ended up buying any of them.

YEP!! all the time... but its my fault. I will pretty much buy any knife my wife will let me, but i want a Spyderco Paramilitary 2.

I did this with the Strider SNG.
I talked myself out of it even though I had wanted it really bad.
Then I sulked but eventually realized how I really looked at the SNG, and now I don't really want it lol.

So in that case, I'm glad I held off.

But in a real situation where I have put off a knife and got something else instead but know I should have gotten what I wanted to begin with, Yes, I've done that a few times. And always ended up getting the most wanted knife eventually, and doing nothing with the ones I bought instead. =/ I guess it's just how it works.

I kept putting off getting the BM 245 for a long time while talking myself out of it and getting other items instead and then they were discontinued.

I almost did it again today when I dropped by Plaza Cutlery in Costa Mesa. They still had the 245 but I spotted the BM 300. At first I didn't think I'd like it, but when I handled it the buttery smooth pivot makes it one of the smoothest flippers I've handled. The ergonomics and grip of the scale are very nice on top of it being a beefy blade.

I inspired another customer to pick one up and almost bought one myself. This time I stopped myself and finally got the 245 though :)

Back