Anyone here ever stab themself?

I got a funny, story.... Last night I was at work (WinnDixie) filling up the milk and eggs for the evening and the pallet of eggs was being held together with these plastic bands. Well I decided to cut these with my kershaw leek, low and behold I realized just how sharp and pointed that lil knife is. I was putting too much pressure on cutting the strap and the blade went from the strap when it gave way right into my thigh. All in all it wasn't that bad, inch and half deep with a cut and inch or so wide but it definatly made me go Oh my GOSH! :eek: And had somebody bring me to the ER to get stitches....errr staples regardless.

The lesson for today is, no matter how careful you are with you knives and you know how sharp they are, it doesn't mean you can go and do something stupid to remind yourself about respecting the basics of blade use. :rolleyes:

Anyone else have any injury stories to tell as I sit here with one leg stiffened to not put stress on the wound?

I was day hiking at a river and was in the rocks between a cliff and the water when I had 'walking stick failure'. I was wearing a pack with another loose bag hanging on it. In this bag was an unsheathed hunting blade of indeterminate manufacture. I landed on my hip and slid down between the boulders. As I struggled to stand, the hand I was rubbing my sore ass with felt strangely sticky. The knife had been shoved through the bag and penetrated a large artery below my 'cheek' and was rapidly draining. I managed, onthe point of passing out, to put pressure on the wound with a strap, cross the icy 3' deep river and make my way to a ranch house a few miles down. The rancher took me to the local ER. I'll never forget the nurse in the ER telling me to hold still as she scrubbed my butt with a little brush. (Ticklish!) After getting stitched up I made the 30 mile drive home. My parents were eating dinner and were not especially thrilled when i walked in with my pants entirely crusted with dry blood.....
:yawn:
That IS the short version. And then there was the time....and....and another time....yet I live!

LOL!!!

Glad to know I'm not the only one :D

About a year ago, a buddy gave me a nifty little tanto pointed boot knife (a cheap Chinese stainless job) and I was using it to pry loose some epoxy I had over done on the blade / guard juncture of a British Comando knife... I managed to STAB myself quite deeply in between the thumb & forefinger of my left hand (OUCH!)... It was a real 'gusher' too! I calmly (I use the term loosely!) 'pinched' it closed and adjurned to the bathroom sink to try to stop the bleeding.

It was a sunday morning and my wife was reading out on our porch. When I called to her from the bathroom, she thought I was out of toilet paper (a true emergency)... So when she came in to find blood all over the place & me pinching the wound closed over the bathroom sink, she was a little 'shocked' - she came around though & got me a roll of paper towels which I used as a pressure bandage.

Unfortunately the bleeding wouldn't stop! So, off we go to the local ER... When they went to assess the would after a short wait, they wanted me to remove my home-made pressure bandage so they could assess the situation. I tried to protest but they did it anyway & the wound spurted a gush of blood out like a scene from a Quentin Tarantino flick! So, they bandaged it up & put me in a room to await the Doctor.

It gets better... See, the only room available happened to be a OBGYN room, replete with the leg stirups get up :eek: ...Of course, after a 2 hour wait, my wife talked me into putting my legs in the stirups so she could laugh at me for all time - and the nurse happened to walk in at just that moment :eek: :eek: :D

...So, you're not alone there dude and I hope my most embarassing moment ever there helps to raise your spirits!!! :)

"I tried to protest but they did it anyway ..." :D
and another time....
I did a wrist stab once. Long story again but I won't....Thought it was closed up until i went to help my mom with some lifting. When I bent my wrist it opened and spurted several times in a beautiful 3 foot arc. Mom, again, was not amused.
Now that I am older I NEVER cut myself.

DavidBinVT said:
Anyone else have any injury stories to tell as I sit here with one leg stiffened to not put stress on the wound?

Funny you should bring this up now...probably exactly at the time you posted this topic, I was busy burying the tip of my crkt ryan plan b into the side of my pinky. (I had been checking the blade in preparation for today's edc, and missed the sheath...as I was holding it.) Not too big, but deep enough to look ugly and really wake me up.

Some direct pressure, cold water, and steri-strips later, I was apply to go about scrubbing the blood spatters from the carpet...

Nothing spectacular to report (only sliced a portion of first digit of my middle finger on left hand partially so it shows a nice crescent scar). I have more "luck" crashing into things that have sharp edges but are not knives - i tear just above right buttock that took some of the flesh with it (it happened when i was in school, one of those chalk-holders under the blackboard in shiny new school, the building ahd been renovated just one year prior to me enrolling there ... they sure filed down those edges immediately afterwards :) ) that required who knows how many stiches and a chop (i'm missing a filet there :D ) and one straight pass through a window with my head, i forgot to open the 2nd window before slamming my head through (who would have thought there are people who have 2 windows anyway :confused: ), one has to open both before sticking their head through. Lesson learned, glass cuts and piecres meat as well as metal does :D

My first real cut was at the age of 10 or 11 at a retreat that my parents were at. A place called Wolf Creek in sould Arkansas. Me and some friends were sitting by the pond being boys (the girls were off being girls) and I decided I was going to use my Colonial Swiss Master to do some whittlin'. I managed to take a large hunk of wood out of a stick, but I had to use so much force that the blade (which had dulled from mis-use and never been sharpened) snaped closed on my index finger (proving it was still sharp enough to draw blood). My dad skipped the idea of stitches and found a pharmacy, in the nearest town, that sold butterfly band-aids.

25 years later I still have the scar and the knife (amazingly). (the red one)
threejacks2.JPG

AFAIK, thats the only one I can think of with an actual knife. Everything else has been with box cutters or tools (twice in the same night with CAT5 wire cutters - don't use tools when you need sleep)

I think real question here is : How many times? :D

For me, more than once. :eek:

Steve

Yes, I have too. I was oiling my deerfooted nicker knife with tuf-glide and put it on the kitchen table to dry. To keep the blade from touching the table I put a phone book on top of the handle and let the blade hang off the table. I went to bed, forgot all about it. Woke up realizing I need something so I went downstairs to get my keys. They were sitting on the kitchen table. I did not want to turn the light on to look for them so I "felt" my way through the dark. Well I went into the kitchen and leaned over the table to feel for the keys and would'nt you know it! Ouch :eek: !!! I felt a stabbing pain right below my thigh. I turn the light on to see my nice deerfoot handled nicker sticking in my leg!!! My first reaction was, ooopps...and uh ohhhh!!..theres blood on my knife blade :eek:!!!! So I pulled it and washed the blood off under the kitchen faucet. I then wiped the blade off ever so carfeully and re-oiled it. I then went to my wife's house, which at the time she was my girlfriend, and I asked her to help me. She asked me "whats wrong?" Then she looked down at my leg and saw that my jeans were blood soaked and I was dripping on her floor. We called the VA since I have no other insurance except for my 50% VA disability and they said you'll have to drive to dayton. Here it was I was bleeding pretty well and they wanted me to drive 2 1/2 hours away to the VA hospital there! The outpatient clinic here was closed, it was 10:00 at night. So, since I was not willing to drive that far I had my girlfriend (now wife) pull the skin back together and tape it shut. The next day I went to the VA outpatient clinic and they said that she did a good job taping it so they were going to leave it alone, but that it would scar. So I figured any woman who could do that for me was worth keeping around! (might need her again!!) Good thing I did!! Last week on Thursday night I fell backwards and puctured the back of my skull on our table and had to have it stapled shut. Her quick thinking helped me not to loose too much blood. She is good for other things besides dressing wounds also (very sweet, beautiful and a compassionate believer in Christ), thats just one of the perks!!!

Praise God after a week of having staples in my head (literally) I got them out today. I was having problems with memory, thinking, balance, etc. but it seems to be clearing up with the Lord's help.

Like the old saying, "God takes care fo fools and children" (me Im covered on both end!!! ;) )

ErikD

Gold Member
Yeah, I will admit to stabbing myself at least once that I can remember. I was playing around with a balisong, not really knowing what I was doing, and dropped the thing. Landed with the tip right in my foot, oh did I mention I wasn't wearing any shoes? The thing just kinda stuck up for a second or so and flopped over. Then the blood started coming out, so I just put on some slippers and went about my business.

Posted this before so I won't go into too much detail.
I dropped a 3.5" bladed hunter I had made on my right foot. It went through my boot and stuck until I started to lean over and pull it out, missed a big vein/artery in the top of my foot by about 1/16". Bled like hell. I still have the scar but got rid of the boots after I wore a few more holes in them.

Planterz

Іди на хуй Путін!
I dropped my Benchmade 31S balisong point down into my ankle from a crosslegged position. Only about a 18" drop. Made a neat little hole, and hardly bled at all. I didn't think anything of it, so I superglued it shut and went to bed. When I woke up, I was unable to move my foot or put the slightest bit of weight on it. Hurt like hell x 2. A trip to the hospital showed that I bruised the bone, which is why it hurt, but otherwise it was fine. The doc even commented on my skillful use of superglue and didn't redo it or stitch it or anything. Took a day before I could go anywhere without hopping around, and 3-4 days for all the pain to subside.

The moral of this story is if you're gonna drop a knife into your ankle, make sure it's a small, light one. If It were my 42 that I dropped, well, I don't want to think about that.

I also shot my Scarab into my middle finger once while fiddleing with the knife in my pocket. Don't drink and play with knives.

I stabbed myself, but was when I was a kid. At the house, I sat on the bed, which was typically very bouncy and fun to land on. Except this time, a pair of scissors was on it and one of the blades jabbed into my thigh. I'd never been cut until that point, let alone stabbed! My mom was like, "what's the big deal?", and I'm like, "are you freakin' kidding me? I just had cold steel stabbed into my leg!!" For you young'uns, scissors back then were big heavy cast steel numbers, not the thin and lightweight scissors most people see today.

I tend to miss the stone while sharpening and gouge a trough across the back of my thumb or slice off the tip of a finger every once and a while. I guess I oughta be watchin my knife and not the t.v.

Dumb idea to open up a can of molasses beans with a Sidewinder bali...... got it in the webbing between my left thumb and pointing finger. gladly not all the way through :) . Healed Really Really Really quickly :D :D

Ask this in the balisong forum. Probably get more replies than you would care to read! :D