Anyone know about Starfire knives?

I bought several items from a guy who frequented Renn fests. Among the items were four "Starfire" knives. They do not now list any throwing knives. But when he bought them they did. These are about 14" long, without quillions and similar to the design of his standard dagger. I also tried throwing a 5" boot knife out of this lot. It throws great. Anyone know anything about them? They are absolutely razor sharp. I would not dare throw from the blade ends.

I'll post a few after the holiday. I let my son take them home this week to try out. I only have one here at the moment and I'll try to post it today.

This is the only one here at the moment. I will post others when they are returned. This one throws OK no-spin and is solid as if it was one piece of steel. But it is a bit long for sure and as I said it will pretty much shave your face. Shown here with the Cold Steel Bowie for size comparison.

Blade length is 12" and OA length is 18 1/2"

Nice looking dagger. Yours looks similar to their "12 inch Standard Scottish Dagger". Guard is different, probably varies with year of making.

I found this statement on every page... interesting... would imply that yours was sharpened "aftermarket".

Starfire Swords, Ltd. produces blades for costume, decoration, and staged combat. These blades are created without edges or points. If you or anyone else gets hurt, you are misusing our product.

Yeah, I saw that too. Apparently there were originally 12 of these made custom for his club (Society of Northern Lion) and sold sharp to them about 1988 or so. They were to be used as Scottish dirks by the club but he said they were basically just his "throwing knife" made longer. Rules apparently changed over time regarding sharpening. It is easy to see on the leather wrapped grips and scabbard that this one saw a good bit of use. Still a great knife though and certainly solid. I am checking on a second one of the dozen from another guy to see if a matching piece is still floating around out there. I would love to know what kind of steel he use or at least used back then. Can't tell anything here except that it takes and holds an edge.

There are 3 or four of the original club members still in this area and I am trying to get more info on what was going on here and whether other dirks are out there available.

I could definitely see one of those fitting into my dagger collection. I like well built, quality daggers.

Back