Anyone know anything about these "custom" knives?

I just bought one of these on the Bay and was wondering if anyone knows anything about them or the maker(s). The seller's id is custom.knife.

There are lots of them listed by this seller and they ship from London, UK.

They are all described as "1-OF-A-KIND" works by three different makers. That's what I thought was odd. "Antonio Banderas" was the one that caught my attention and made me start looking at the other listings. Just judging by the pictures they look like decent knives made with good steels even if they are not high end customs. The damascus is claimed to be forged with 1095 and 15N20 and the non-damascus seem to all be O1. The designs are all different but variations on a theme. I'm just guessing they come from some Pakistan factory or something.

Here are three examples of the descriptions:
Bill Anderson's 1-OF-A-KIND CUSTOM DAMASCUS BOWIE KNIFE | CAMEL BONE HANDLE
Hand Made by Steve William 1-OF-A-KIND STUNNING RARE CUSTOM DAMASCUS KNIFE
Antonio Banderas 1-OF-A-KIND CUSTOM BOWIE KNIFE | STAG ANTLER |DAMASCUS

Thanks.

I'm just guessing they come from some Pakistan factory or something.

Here are three examples of the descriptions:
Bill Anderson's 1-OF-A-KIND CUSTOM DAMASCUS BOWIE KNIFE | CAMEL BONE HANDLE
Hand Made by Steve William 1-OF-A-KIND STUNNING RARE CUSTOM DAMASCUS KNIFE
Antonio Banderas 1-OF-A-KIND CUSTOM BOWIE KNIFE | STAG ANTLER |DAMASCUS

Thanks.
My first guess would be Pakistan or India.

I could be wrong it could be an Easter miracle. :D

DC

A piece of advice, kindly meant: I'd avoid buying knives on online auction sites unless you really know knives. Much safer to buy on this forum or from authorized dealers.

Normally, I heed that advice, with the exception of some Craig Barr tomahawk heads. I've had a weakness for them lately. ;)

I saw these "faux custom" knives wanted to see what they were like. The pictures look "pretty" and the lowish price made it an acceptable risk. I did find one thread here that claimed the blades were not as claimed, but soft iron. If it's at least "pretty", I'll give it to my dad who will only hang it on the wall anyway.

Thanks for the advice. At least this was not an expensive lesson.

There are a LOT of knives like that on ebay. All with different makers named, or none at all. About 6 months ago I purchased a couple of them just because they were cheap. I knew what I was getting, and that's just a kit knife. In all honesty they are not bad looking knives.

The two that I received had pretty good fit and finish, but I could tell they were kit knives. I would not be using them for any hard work, but as a wall hanger, not bad for the 60+ bucks. The main way to tell its a kit, is look where the blade tang meets the handle or gaurd. They wont be properly sealed like a real custom.

I knew I would be giving them away anyways, but it was worth it to check them out. If you want a good fixed blade you can use, you can get one from a maker on this forum for a little over $100. If you want cheap beauty, but non usable, go with them.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. It's good to hear that they at least look okay hanging on a wall. My dad will actually love it.

For myself, I'm waiting for T.M. Hunt's "after Blade" sale and have already contacted him about a Yuma that I'm dying to get. ;)

I recently bought a Bird & Trout from Big Chris here that I love. I have started shop with the makers here and will continue to do so.

Yep. Helps a lot. Thanks. :)

A piece of advice, kindly meant: I'd avoid buying knives on online auction sites unless you really know knives. Much safer to buy on this forum or from authorized dealers.

So, I'm guessing you aren't interested in the 'Kris Reef's 'Mandy' in latter Damascus with spalted wambeezi wood scales' I found on evil-bay, are you? Oddly, the s/h is three times the knife's cost - from Hong Kong...

TIC

Stainz

PS It's a minefield out there!

No problem man, there are some awesome makers here. I own 12 customs from makers from this forum alone, its surely an addiction.

If you like that pretty and fancy style you should check out back woods custom knives, from Bill Akers. I just got my first from him and he does some stunning damascus as well as really nice box elder scales.

I hear you, brother. No, I would never buy a CRK on the auction site. I've bought all of my modest collection from either other members here, BladeHQ or directly from Chris. I've seen too many questionable ones reported from evil-bay.

I think I've gone through the CRK and Busse phase. I've really turned my sites more towards the knife makers here. They do beautiful work and there's just something special about a knife made by hand just for you.

I really just got that faux damascus bowey for my dad. I prefer something I can use in the kitchen. That little Big Chris Bird and Trout is a perfect paring knife. So far I've only gotten the one from BC and have the Yuma on order with T.M. Hunt. Who else would you recommend for the "good fixed blades for a little over $100" mentioned above? Any favorites? Please feel free to post pictures. :)

I bought over ten knives Coston.Knifes seller on ebay and really'm also thinking that knives are of low quality, arrived just three knives. I thought all very similar, even, to "manufacturers" different as Antonio Banderas, Bill Anderson and others ... I am a beginner and do not know much about the world of cutlery, I was attracted by the beautiful pieces, but the steel quality is doubtful. Realized that slides easily lose the thread, are very soft ...But the beauty of the knives is unquestionable. Too bad it does not serve to actual use.Sorry for mistakes in translation (google translator)

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I agree with all that you said. I have only bought one of them. It does look very nice, but I would not actually try to use it for anything a knife that size should be used for. I'm going to give it to my dad as a gift. He will just hang it to look at anyway.

This. There are also several "custom" makers with websites selling production blade blanks they slapped handles in the same price range of true customs.

Back