Are BK9's Still Cool?

BMCGear

Gold Member
Recently returned from a cabin trip and came to the realization that I wanted a knife dedicated to batoning/chopping. I was splitting some wood/kindling with a hatchet and I slipped and got my hand. Wasn't terrible and it could have been much worse. From that point on I switched out to my belt knife and batoned what I needed which proved to be effective and idiot proof even with a hurt hand. While the belt knife worked a knife longer than 5 inches would be handy.

I had some Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket so I decided to get a BK9 and some micarta scales. This will be my first Becker.

Edit: I got the BK9 in and it is very cool.

Last edited:
50 years ago my uncle Buford would tell me that being lazy with a cutting tool will get you hurt. Evidently he was right.. Sorry you hurt your hand . Everyone needs a BK-9 ;):thumbsup:

It was pure stupidity on my part. I had been doing it the proper way and the last few days and on the last day I decided to "be quick."

When you swing you don't want this to happen as the axe makes contact. Don't want it to spin in your hands if it grazes. The handle is above the axe head here.
lumberjack-with-axe-swinging-axe-picture-id927258560

Your technique should incorporate having a nice follow through so that you keep driving the handle down and keep it parallel.
Imagine if you would swing and keep driving the handle into the ground like in this next picture, so that handle is below the axe head through the whole motion. That would make it pretty safe. Don't have to be this extreme, it's just to illustrate the point better.
lumber-jack-with-axe-and-tree-stump-chopping-wood-picture-id927264634

And I also think bk9 is pretty cool.

Just processed some almond kindling with my BK9! It’s a beast! Plan to beat the crap out of this knife this winter.

Attachments

• 5D743E8B-D5D1-49F7-ACA6-2AD73C0EE31A.jpeg
    5D743E8B-D5D1-49F7-ACA6-2AD73C0EE31A.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 15
  • CE806F92-F35F-4458-9FA5-EC6D20C35EF3.jpeg
    CE806F92-F35F-4458-9FA5-EC6D20C35EF3.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 14
What I like about the 9 is how well out still performs as a knife despite being a large chopper.

For an example, it cuts waaaay better than something like a Ontario SP-53, but will still handle tough jobs like batoning through rounds.

It’s a great knife.

I would recommend an Azwelke sheath to round out the package.

I just ordered one from SMKW. Can’t beat the price. It was between getting another but newer model BK7 or getting the BK9, first one.

I have a 10 inch machete that I picked up in the banana fields of Honduras back in 1990 and figure this would be a good replacement even though not the same as a machete.

I was also contemplating a 1095 or Swedish hatchet. I hear a lot of folks say that knives are for cutting and hatchets/axe are for chopping. After seeing a few videos comparing the two I feel that the BK9 will be more versatile. I will soon find out and if not I still have a couple of mediocre hatchets that I can use and will give me a reason to get a nice one.

I just ordered one from SMKW. Can’t beat the price. It was between getting another but newer model BK7 or getting the BK9, first one.

I have a 10 inch machete that I picked up in the banana fields of Honduras back in 1990 and figure this would be a good replacement even though not the same as a machete.

I was also contemplating a 1095 or Swedish hatchet. I hear a lot of folks say that knives are for cutting and hatchets/axe are for chopping. After seeing a few videos comparing the two I feel that the BK9 will be more versatile. I will soon find out and if not I still have a couple of mediocre hatchets that I can use and will give me a reason to get a nice one.
Congrats! The 9er is an excellent choice and sure to make you glad you grabbed one.:D

Back