1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Are Emerson Knives geting heavier?

Discussion in 'Emerson Knives' started by mbjz, May 6, 2012.

1. mbjz

mbjz

May 2, 2012
    After doing much research I decided to buy a cqc 7 with wave feature..after checking a couple of sites i noticed they weight was different..some said 4.0. oz.some had it at 3.8..3.5..so I called emerson directly and asked them what a cqc with wave weighted in at...the lady who answered told me to hold on she said she would take one out of the box and weight it for me...When she got back on the phone i was told with the box and paper work it weighted 4.0oz..out of the box by itself it weighted 3.5...sounded great to me since I wanted a knife under 4oz...so I ordered a new 2012 model cqc 7 w/wave....but when I opened it up it felt heavier than 3.5 oz..so i weighted it on a friends digital scale and it reads 5.0oz wtf is that about? I know they make thicker ti liner now but did that add an ounce also the women who weighted it for me at emerson I would assume was weighting a 2012 model??? I found a youtube video of someone weighting emersons on a scale and his cqc 7 was 4.4 oz ..emerson has it listed on there site at 4.oz..no where near the weight of 5oz that i got..whats up Emerson????

2. MeatyBacchus478

MeatyBacchus478

Mar 2, 2011
    OCD?

Lol. Honestly I think you're being a little too picky.

If you wanted to know the exact weight of the knife you were purchasing you should have bought the one from Emerson that they took the time to weigh for you.

3. onlooker96

onlooker96 Banned BANNED

Jan 3, 2010
    Same knife may come out differently on different scales, if you are that concerned, try using a scale that weighs in grams.
    But I doubt anyone will notice the weight difference even if it was heavier...

4. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    Watching Youtube videos again huh? Does a whole .5 ounces really make or break the deal? It gets old seeing so many people complaining about heavy knives, as if 4-5 ounces was the equivalent of carrying a brick in your pocket. It almost seems that people are just getting weaker. This differential reporting on sales sites for most knives is not new. This has been going on for years.

5. mbjz

mbjz

May 2, 2012
    well i was told 3.5oz so 5oz is a bit of a difference...

6. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    You were told? By who? I'm sorry but that is simply unrealistic unless you are one of those ultralight hikers or something. With all sincerity, I recommend you buy a knife that fits your criteria, don't get hung up on crazy ideas of weight, shape, etc. if you love the design, try it out. If you don't like it, then you can always try somthing else.it's not like a tattoo. ;)

7. mbjz

mbjz

May 2, 2012
    they are called specs....every other knife company knows what their knives weight..maybe emerson weights their knives on the MOON ...don't misunderstand i love my 7...but when i ordered a BM940 at 2.9oz for lightweight carry..i would have been kinda mad if it was really almost 4oz instead....

8. HuntBomb

HuntBomb

Sep 18, 2009
    Scales aren't completely accurate, but 1.5 Oz is quite a difference.
    Wouldn't be a deal breaker, but wouldn't make me happy either.
    Can make a huge difference depending on what you're wearing and doing.

9. MeatyBacchus478

MeatyBacchus478

Mar 2, 2011
    I guess I don't get it.

I always have a gun and a couple knives on me whether on or off duty.

1.5oz is the last thing on my mind.

10. HuntBomb

HuntBomb

Sep 18, 2009
    You must not wear light pants or mesh shorts then...
    1.5 Oz does make a difference when working out and/or running...or doing anything active for that matter.
    Plus, the official specs shouldn't be that far off.
    I love my CQC-15, but it's way too heavy for light clothing.

11. cevtv

cevtv

Feb 6, 2009
    You guys complaining about .5 ounces need to stop watching Nutnfancy's youtube vids....lol!

12. onlooker96

onlooker96 Banned BANNED

Jan 3, 2010
    I'm sure there is much more room for error if you are using a digital scale in your bathroom to one of those scales used in science class that measures in grams.
    When companies put out specs, it's always "about" because there can be variances in materials and finishes. And when you are talking about such small weight, lets not be too judgmental.

13. USAFSP

USAFSP

Jul 2, 2000
    Emerson used to use Ti liners on both sides. Now they don’t. One side is Ti while the other is stainless steel. There are likely specs for both floating around out there. One will be slightly heavier than the other. As far as ounces Vs what you can comfortably carry? Stop listening to Nutinfancy. That’s all I can say about that.

14. mbjz

mbjz

May 2, 2012
    well when I called Emerson directly to ask them if the could tell me the weight of a new cqc 7 the lady who answered the phone was friendly and more than happy to help..i was on hold for a good 10-15 mins before she returned to the phone again telling me it weighted in at 4.0 with box and paper work and when she took it out to weight it it was 3.5oz so that prompted me to buy it..at 3.5 it would have been lighter than my PM2 and would have made a great EDC....so yeah after buying it and finding out it is 5.0oz.. 1.5oz heavier it is a big deal to me..had i known the real weight i may have bought a different knife...other companys list their weight..emerson seems to mislead people knowing most of us do adhere to nut and fancys limit of 4.0..smart phone wallet keys knife etc ....yeah oz do = lb..looking like a clown with your pants on the ground...

15. onlooker96

onlooker96 Banned BANNED

Jan 3, 2010
    Well, since I have mine out from when I just posted it, I just put it on the scale and it came out to 119.8 grams which converts to 4.225 oz

16. trashboss

trashboss

Jul 30, 2011
    Ther are many models of CQC, perhaps they weighed a 15 or 10 and not a 7. Maybe you should have asked them to weigh a ”7” & there are different 7's maybe you have a V, a regular chisel grind may be lighter than a V.

17. cevtv

cevtv

Feb 6, 2009
    Here we go......:rolleyes:
    Emerson is intentionally misleading people because of some idiot's YouTube B/S.
    Yeah, OK...... You need to get away from your computer and the internet for a while.....go outside or something.........;)

18. mbjz

mbjz

May 2, 2012
    man the comments on here are retarded..of course i told them i wanted to know the weight of a 2012 cqc 7 with WAVE FEATURE b/c my understanding was a non wave was lighter which would make sense so yes i specified which knife i was asking about...and yes when spyderco and benchmade and kershaw and crkt have the precise specs of thier knifes...whats emersons problem..for the money we pay they should be able to tell us which knife weights what.........well whatever i was able to find a hd 7 we'll see how much that one weights when it arrives...I'm done with this thread so don't bother me with these lame replies.obvioulsy anyone can handle an extra once or two if it was listed at 5oz i may have went with the mini cqc 7..thats all kids ..and remember always play with knives l8ers

19. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    No, most people don't adhere to silly ideas from the internet.
    If you weigh more than 10 pounds, a few ounces don't matter.

20. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Nevermind.