Are expensive knives worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What true north wrote is the other part of the value equation. There is no question that the Busse in your example, has the better Heat Treat and can safely be called a lifetime knife. The question is whether that extra performance/value is necessary for what you do. Does a small knife need to be as tough as a Busse or CPK. In many cases that extra cost is not necessary. Up to you.

There really is no wrong answer here. It's just what level result you expect. You could argue that the $120 buck does not give me any advantage over a 20 dollar Mora.
Yes sir, the only correct answer is that there is no correct answer. Which is precisely why it’s worthy of discussions like these!

ferider

Platinum Member
There is no question that the Busse in your example, has the better Heat Treat

BOS Heat-Treated CPM 3V vs. Busse INFI / Mod A8 ? Actually, yes, I have a question how different the end-product is. And Heat Treat for what end-goal ? Edge holding, corrosion resistance, etc.

In any case, the two knives have completely different geometry. And what you don't seem to understand is that the "value" is what me - the owner who bought and uses them - assigns to them, since I bought and use them.

If you don't like the Buck vs. Busse comparison, pick a 400$+ Infidu over the new $250 CPK BFK. Same weight, same features. The 2x "value" difference is 100% subjective.

I love truffles. My wife hates them. Who could argue with either of us ?

Last edited:

ds0ocx

Platinum Member
It all depends on one's perspective. I collect knives so I think every knife that I buy is worth the price that I pay for it.

The Aflac Duck

Gold Member
@Stahlmann If you were given the choice between a Custom Shirogorov Collaboration w/Chris Reeve…..OR an off the shelf Walmart Gerber FOR ABSOLUTELY FREE……which one would you choose?

Of course he’s gonna come write a long and windy response to this about “subjectivity” that reads like a D-grade college thesis.

BOS Heat-Treated CPM 3V vs. Busse INFI / Mod A8 ? Actually, yes, there is a question.

If you don't like the Buck vs. Busse comparison, pick a 400$+ Infidu over the new $250 CPK BFK. Same weight, same features. The factor 2 "value" difference is a matter of hundred % subjective preference.

Yesterday I ordered a Buck 113 in 420HC (Bos HT). They go for $75. It's only a 3" blade, but good for EDC. Then I have a Condor Mini Duku, priced at $85, also in 420HC with matching looks to go with the Buck 113.

What is interesting is that 420HC is as tough as 3V at 58HRC. Also, it is very corrosion resistant - looks like a great value to me, can't wait for the test drive.

Say you're on a budget .

$100 a month, average, for knives .

So , you can blow a year's funds on a single $1200 goodie or spread it out .

I'm pretty sure , I'd want another knife long before the year was out . :p

knarfeng

senex morosus moderator
Staff member
Super Mod
Quiet Quiet
T The True North
at et cetera

Knock it off. Go have your spats in Whine and Cheese. That's what it is there for.

Address the question, not other posters.

The most I ever paid for a knife was $300 in 2007. I quickly realized that (for me) that price makes a knife too expensive to be used as a tool. Fear of breaking or losing it ruined the experience of carrying and using it. Some here proudly bash on their high-dollar blades and do things I wouldn't even try with a beater. That's great for them...but not me. I'm happy spending around $100. I'd rather have a few dozen decent knives than two or three "grail" knives.

Cobalt

Gold Member
BOS Heat-Treated CPM 3V vs. Busse INFI / Mod A8 ? Actually, yes, I have a question how different the end-product is. And Heat Treat for what end-goal ? Edge holding, corrosion resistance, etc.

In any case, the two knives have completely different geometry. And what you don't seem to understand is that the "value" is what me - the owner who bought and uses them - assigns to them, since I bought and use them.

If you don't like the Buck vs. Busse comparison, pick a 400$+ Infidu over the new $250 CPK BFK. Same weight, same features. The 2x "value" difference is 100% subjective.

I love truffles. My wife hates them. Who could argue with either of us ?

I basically stated what you responded with. I stated it is the value you assign to it. If the Buck is enough for your purposes then good. Your buck vs Busse is perfect example of cheap vs expensive. I even questioned if the higher strength and toughness of a Busse is worth the extra money over a Buck in smaller sizes, and for many it may not be. Even for me, it may not be.

As for geometry. To me, edge geometry is like tires. Edges wear and tires wear. If I don't like the edge a knife has, I change it, that's why we sharpen knives.

I did not understand your first comment though, "BOS Heat-Treated CPM 3V vs. Busse INFI / Mod A8 ? Actually, yes, I have a question how different the end-product is." If you are worried about corrosion and edge holding, then why would you be getting either 3v or INFI in the first place? There are a dozen steels that are cheaper and will outperform both of these in those two parameters you mentioned.

Say you're on a budget .

$100 a month, average, for knives .

So , you can blow a year's funds on a single $1200 goodie or spread it out .

I'm pretty sure , I'd want another knife long before the year was out . :p

Then it is time to sell it or just buy a Mora, or a Tramontina! :)

ferider

Platinum Member
I basically stated what you responded with. I stated it is the value you assign to it. ....

As for geometry. To me, edge geometry is like tires. Edges wear and tires wear. If I don't like the edge a knife has, I change it, that's why we sharpen knives.

I did not understand your first comment though, "BOS Heat-Treated CPM 3V vs. Busse INFI / Mod A8 ? Actually, yes, I have a question how different the end-product is." If you are worried about corrosion and edge holding, then why would you be getting either 3v or INFI in the first place? There are a dozen steels that are cheaper and will outperform both of these in those two parameters you mentioned.
I do feel we mostly agree, Cobalt ... the Buck blade is thinner and FFG compared to the Busse, can’t change this with sharpening unless you regrind completely. The steel characteristics are a compromise, question is which direction you bias more. And I do like 420HC, BTW.

Cobalt

Gold Member
I do feel we mostly agree, Cobalt ... the Buck blade is thinner and FFG compared to the Busse, can’t change this with sharpening unless you regrind completely. The steel characteristics are a compromise, question is which direction you bias more. And I do like 420HC, BTW.

Agreed.

But the other part to this is, there is cheap and then there is cheap. This is the cheap that is worthless. :D

Wolverine666

Gold Member
I find myself looking at more expensive (custom) knives lately because they are different than all of the run-of-the-mill Benchmades and Spyderco‘s that are floating around (I’m a fan of both brands btw). But sometimes I need to breakaway from the norm. And the fact that some custom knives are different and unique is what has been drawing my attention. And I might be willing to pay a higher price just to obtain some individuality.

This is most likely a phase in my knife collecting. One of many. I’ve also been very interested in SAK’s which I still have yet to own in my adult years. That’s probably my next phase.

Andy the Aussie

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Personal satisfaction and enjoyment from owning a particular "product" (knife, car, painting, fidget spinner.....no wait.....scratch that....fidget spinners WTF...anyway) is very hard to put a price on. If you have sacrificed something essential in life,medicine, meeting your personal commitments (utility bills, rent, kids needs) you could not afford it and are an idiot but if all your essentials are met, you spent money and were happy after doing so, then yes worth every penny. I own a "couple" of knives and most all generally provide me some happiness. I have not yet (never say never) spent a bundle of $s and gone "this is rubbish" but I have certainly spent $100 and had that reaction. That said I have also had some great blades that didn't cost the earth.

The answer is....well there is not real answer, there is only my view and that of others, they will all be different and not all wrong.

Last edited:

cj65

Gold Member
I still have some of my less expensive stuff hanging around for sentimental reasons. I carry a Shiro now everyday. If it's in my pocket it gets used for what needs to be done. I don't plan on ever selling so I use but not abuse them.
I do have one that I only carry on Sunday's though as I don't usually work.
Needed some roots cut so I did:
View attachment 1638603
Precious. Life worth living.

Status
Not open for further replies.