Are Randall fixed blades the Sebenza of the...

Fixed blade world? I know CRK makes fixed blades, but I was thinking about a Randall as a fixed blade rather than another CR Knife.

I don't need another knife, few of us here do, right? I just like the look of Randall knives and was thinking, just how tough are they?

I was thinking about an O1 model 1.

I am not asking how many M1A3 Abrams tanks can you skin, just how well made and tough overall are they? Are they display or users? I must admit I know very little about Randall knives and after seeing this forum I am trying to 'catagorise' the brand and models in terms that I am familiar with.

Sorry if comparisons between a production and a hand made knife offends. :(

Hello General, A model one has a thinner blade I believe than a CR knive. Blade length has a influence in the bending, breaking value. Of course you know the do's and dont's for knife use. A model one is a unique knife in blade geometry and usefulness, [the sharpened top edge is nice in relation to the center line of the tip]. I have a 6" with a micarta handle, and a old 7" with a leather handle and they "feel" like two different knives, just look the same in blade style. For use they hold up very well and I love the balance and the bevel of the blade to make them razor sharp. A model 14 ,15, or 16 are much more rugged but have thicker blades. I use a model one for everything except digging or prying and love them. You can apply a knife to any task but this model was designed for combat for the service personel. Because of the balance and "feel", it can be very quick in the hand. Randalls are great! Buy one and see for yourself. All the best.

No Wayne, Randalls are not the Sebenza of fixed knives. They are made by hand. For the most part the blades are forged, ground and polished in house. They do have some knives where they have the blades made for them by someone else, but most of their knives are as much custom knives as those you will find coming from many of the top makers out there right now.

As far as quality goes I would hav eto say that I think that Randalls are every bit the match of CRK. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.;)

HI Guys,

At this time ALL Randall Made Knives are made by hand in the shop in Orlando. During WWII Mr. Randall ("Bo") farmed out some work to a fellow in Mass. He also ordered some blades from Solingen Germany during the Vietnam War. These are the only times I am aware that Randalls were made outside of the shop. These Blades are clearly marked with their origen and both are highly collectible.

I have never owned or used a Chris Reeves knife so I won't comment on them. I make Randall knives for a living and have used them in the field. Yes they are damned good knives. You do not have to take my word for it though, there is a ton of documented evidence at the Randall shop from sportsmen and soldiers who have put our knives to the test and been impressed with the results.

BTW if you want to see how Randall Knives are made go to
http://communities.msn.com/TheRandallShop
look under "photo albums"

I recomend holding a Randall in your hand before you buy one if you are not sure about them. If you do buy one and you are not happy Randalls will of course give you your money back as will any official Randall dealer. Even if you buy it from an individual you can almost always find a buyer for it on ebay. It is hard to lose money on a Randall if you do your homework before you buy.

good luck,
Dwight

Sorry, I was obviously mistaken. For some reason I thought that I had read that the stainless blades were made elsewhere. Thanks for correcting me, I would not want to be guity of passing along erroneous information.

Wayne,

In trying to answer your original question...(paraphrased), "Are Randall's the Sebenza of the fixed blade world?"

No, not by a long shot.

The Chris Reeve Sebenza frame lock is, or is soon going to be, the most copied folder design to date. If you question the staying power of this design, check back in 10 years for more results.

Randall's on the other hand have been the most copied fixed blade design for the last 40 years. Check back in another 40 years to see if the same holds true.

Now, I'm not trying to be flippant here...honestly, I'm not. I've met Chris personally, and have chatted with him over the course of the last year at three major west coast shows.

He's a nice fellow, his designs are good, his knives are better, and the performance of his knives is beyond reproach.

Chris designs, and makes, some of the best "user" knives out there.

We have a few CRK's...both fixed and folding. No problems with the knives...they do what they're supposed too...nuf said.

Are there better folders with the same lock up? That's a personal choice. Personally, I prefer Ken Onion's frame locks.

Are there better fixed blades? Sure there are. CRK Fixed blades have a nitch, they're one of a kind...and if that design "works" for you, then by all means, buy one or two.

By the same token, are there better fixed blades than Randall's? Probably, but they don't have the proven track record. When I think about depending on a knife to get my ass out of a sling, I want something dependable...nuf said.

We're talking performance here right? The pure essence of the blade? Functionality above all else, right?

The best knife? The best knife is the one that fits you. The best knife you'll ever find will feel as good as your penis in your hand. (When you find it, you'll know..lol). Personally, I'm still looking, but the some Randall's come close... ;)

Randall's? Some will fit you, some won't. I look for a knife that will defend me, feed me, keep me sheltered, last a long time, never fail, and be there when I need it.

Am I asking alot? Sure I am. Am I asking the knife to perform above it's ability? I don't think so.

Again, knives are a personal choice. Handle as many as you can before you buy, and once you've made up your mind to buy, buy the RMK that fits you.

That's my read...

Very thoughtful and honest comments! Thank you gentlemen! Much to my regret I was lucky enough to see a fellow Formites Walter Brend fixed blade custom in D2... $1200 but what a knife! Drool, out of my price range but I still like the look of the Randall range, I will see how it pans out. This will likely be a distant future purchas, but at least I know a lot more than before and that is the important thing!

Many heartfelt thanks!

General,
I have been involved with knives for 40+ years. I have owned several Randall knives and seen them in action while in the military. We preferred the Gerber models with M2 steel, the Gerber Mark II with L6 was rather weak and broke easily.

Randalls are for collectors, they are the Case stainless pocket knives of the fixed blade investors. You cannot loose money "if you do not use the knife". In many sales of older RMK, the sheath is more important than the knife condition??? Classic designs and very popular for investment is the main reason for RMK to exist.

Metallurgy is old and outmoded, O1 steel and stainless mystery steel. Heat treatment in an old fashioned furnace complete with decarbon scale (no atmosphere in furnace). They do not use cryo treatment in the temper process.

You will rarely find an experienced user of knives with a Randall, there are many other better knives for a fraction of the inflated price. The new Marbles with 52100 cryo treated steel for example, less than $100 for superior edge retention, Dozier for less than $200 with excellent D2 steel. The CRK fixed blade series with A2 cryo tempered steel are in a class well above the RMK blades.

Yes, many grunts carried the M14 in Southeast Asia and NASA purchased some special models for the early space program, this adds to the mystique and romance of collecting. The fact that a M14 from the Viet Nam period sells for $2500 does not make a it great knife.

Try a RMK and use it,,,compare it to others and make your own decision.

Regards,
FK

FK, it seems that you have a pretty low opinion of Randall knives. I disagree with you but I am sure that you have your reasons for thinking this way. I have had limited experience with Randalls but have very much liked the Model 5 that I got to use. O1 can make very good knives and many knives that do not use a cryo treatment are great knives.

As you have said, it is best for a person to try a knife for himself. Each person looks for different things in a knife and we all must make our own decision as to whether a Randall is the knife for us.

KWM,

To some degree I agree with FK...if you have a mint condition older RMK on your hands you have a gold mine at your finger tips...keys to the emerald city. That's name recognition and staying power.

*note #1: RMK's didn't get name recognition and staying power due to any mystery...they got to where they are on the food chain of knives because they performed when they were needed too...

Are there better steels? Sure there are. Better designs? Maybe, probably. Better knives? Possibly.

But...are there better production knives? None that I know of. Better handmades? Individual preference I say. Better Customs? Well, RMK's aren't really customs for the most part, but then again, neither are most of the "customs" sold here... :rolleyes:

*note #2: Anytime someone makes it "to the top", there are five guys waiting just beneath the summit to knock his legs out...it's sick, but it seems to be human nature.

Knives are a lot like cars...some folks want to impress, and they buy flashy "customs", some just want to get from point "A" to point "B" and they buy reliable non-descript "people movers", some people want performance and they buy (serious) off road vehicles like Jeeps.

Are there better vehicles for off road use than a Jeep? Sure there are, but when you watch the guys crossing the Rubicon up in the Sierra's, most of them are driving CJ's...and just why is that? ;)

The same goes for a Randall...

Wayne,
go see Frank at Framar in Blackburn if you haven't already, he has several Randall's on hand. Also check out Gun Mart this month, my buddy has a model 18 in for sale. I have seen this one and it is everything you would expect.
Paul.

I will go see Frank sometime soon as I bought my Large numbered Sebi from him last year over the phone, Blackburn is a long way to go but I might make a day trip of it! Do you have directions...:)

I realise Randall knives are not the best in the world, what is? I was just interested in the make for some reason and I did not want to start a daft thread with 'so these overpriced Randall knives are they any good?' type of rubbish! I know you can get better in materials etc and so does everyone else or so it seems, it is the 'other' factor I am interested in, what makes them special to each person?

I am at the level of collecting where simple stats and materials interest me less than the overall package. I have more than enough super steel users and a super steel custom for daily use. Don't we all?;)

THIS IS FOR FK>>>>>>>>>>>

I would like to make a comment about .....................

I am a veteran and I was the only one who had a Randall in my paltoon......in my barracks ..........in my company. Most of the people had Gerbers or Buck knives because of the price $$$ in the PX. I even bought a MK 2 and stupidly sold it because I couldn't use it for anything state side. They sell for big bucks now like Randalls. Experienced people really don't don't care what the sharp object is at hand. The user makes it deadly. Collectors quite honestly drove the price up. Hell, I only paid $45.00 dollars for my Randall and the Gerbers were $29.95, depending on the model. Who knows what is fair for a price. The fact that Randalls have been used around the world, and performed, says something.

Collectors are the "wanna-be's" [been there done that] realize the Randall name has "been around the world", and has performed! You see, it just isn't the name but the fact the Selection of Randalls cover every possible design needed. Just look at the catalog. It shows the evolution of knives, hunting, fighting, killing, etc. They have set the standard for makers to follow. I get upset when people make a blanklet statement that the knife is out moded. Which knife? What do you want? A model 14 or 16 will not fail. Quick in the hand?, #1 or #2. Hunting or fishing? I can go on, My cryo Linder is no better than a Stainless Randall. I can go on but it really is fun to talk. There are many GOOD knives, but Randall was the first to show the selection other custom makers followed. Just one other reason to be proud to own a Randall. Hell, if it was not for Randall,.... Custom knives probably would not exist. All the Way!!!!!

I love my Sebenza but Randalls possess a different kind of beauty. The are extremely aggressive cutters too. It's apples and oranges and they both are excellent.

4E36810.jpg

This one is too sweet! How do you like them apples?

That's one hell of a "Jeep" you've got there BNHD, WOW! :D

Like the old adage says, "A picture is worth a thousand words..."

Thanks buddy, I can stop typing now... ;)

That one is my most beautiful piece. It is my "night blade." I have others that I have used the heck out of, but none so pretty as this to post.

FK, obviously their methods are not outdated because they cut and perform their intended purposes so extremely well. I have tried their thicker blades and they are just amazing. The thinner ones are just scary. They found a method that works! Something about the way they forge and work them must be the key. Science and metallurgy are not everything.

Bo Randall said he made them to be used, not to sit on a shelf. Well he made them so pretty that it is hard to use them all real hard, but if you do you will understand the reasons why this maker is so revered.

There are other very good blades and steels to be had for sure, but to dismiss Randalls is a mistake. They did not get a reputation for nothing. They really work. They have a model for every purpose. Find the correct one for your purposes and you will come back here with a knowing smile.

Ok! I have just seen the Model 'E' and its a must have! However why are the prices on the Randall site around $200-$250 when elsewhere they average near $400? Someone is taking the pitza...:(

Wayne,
Don't forget that Randall's have a wait that usually fluctuates between about 12-18 months, the higher prices you saw are probably from folk who want a premium for giving you immediate delivery. However, there are authorized Randall dealers that sell Randall's at list price with no wait such as Doug kenefick in Connecticut, Nordic knives in Ca., and plenty of others.
Randall's were the first handmades(yes, even though it's not one pair of hands all the way through the process, they are handmade) I fell in love with and I deeply regret selling most of my Randall's in the last few years to finance other purchases. The one I miss most is the model 26 pathfinder with the combo stag/leather handle old style. Here is one that will always be with me-it has my name and Army unit etched on the other side of the blade:
6517565_20011028_124927_20011028124927.jpg

IMO, there are slicker knives, nicer knives, and certainly more expensive knives, but Randall Knives are part of America and it's history. You can also customize features so it's made to your liking. The knife above cost me $317 in 1995 with a 13 month wait. Since I knew it was a wall hanger to represent my time in service so I ordered it with these options:stainless blade,nickel silver double hilt, stag,nickel silver butt plate, and the etching. For the money it is beautiful and there is no doubt in my mind that if needed it could serve and serve well.
Here's something I like to point out to people that is not that well known by new knife collectors. Randall has the best layaway plan in the business. You can order a Randall by putting $20 down for which they will tell you the price of your knife and the delivery time. You can then send whatever amount(I think minimum is $20) each month or however you like as long as the knife is paid for by the time it is ready for delivery. The knife above was bought by mostly making 20-35 a month payments. Here's something you wont find with other makers: if at any time up until your knife is delivered, if you change your mind, they will return all your money, as they have no doubt that someone else would buy it. Try to get that service from somebody else! The layaway plan is especially nice for guys that cant afford to lay down a big chunk of money at once as I was when I started collecting.
I know this is long and I apologize, but you can tell I do like Randall's. Lastly, the Randall's are great people to deal with.
Just my .02,
Dave

Thank you Dave your post was not at all long and very much appeciated by me! Thanks for sharing and esp that lovely knife.

Do you have web links for those knife shops? Cheers!:)

Back