Are they still knock offs if they're Chinese versions of traditional patterns?

Are they still knock offs if they're Chinese versions of traditional patterns?

I see everyone complaining about knock offs of Lightfoots, Microtechs, and a lot of others, but is what the Chinese doing with traditional folding patterns any different? Still I don't hear Tony Bose complaining.

Just a thought.

No more so than any other outfit who wasn't the first one to make a particualr pattern.

As long as they aren't copies of what a particular knifemaker has developed uniquely on his own, the pattern is in the public domain. Anyone can make a Bowie, anyone can make a stockman. By now, anyone can make a drop point hunter, too.

Esav Benyamin said:
As long as they aren't copies of what a particular knifemaker has developed uniquely on his own, the pattern is in the public domain. Anyone can make a Bowie, anyone can make a stockman. By now, anyone can make a drop point hunter, too.

That covers my thoughts on this as well.

Tony Bose won't complain, because he is copying patterns himself. He gives them his own unique look, but they are still patterns that were developed many years before he started making them.

Now, if a company where to make a knife that had Tony's unique look to it then I do think that should be considered a knock-off. It would in my eyes at least.

doesn't make them knockoffs, but still makes them pieces of crap (for the most part)

Sincerely,
Anthony

Chinese made - isn't always crap. Better get used to the idea of China being the only true superpower in the foreseeable future. They will be the only country in the world with a truly broad and diverse manufacturing capability.
You can bet that China can produce any quality knife they choose. A lot of people buy at the lower price levels, so that's what you see a lot of.

Well as far as seeing into the future we cant, but we can look to the present and the past. Chinese made knives are usually crap.

As a dealer I have 2 catlogs from the main distributors and let me tell you. 100% of the stuff that is made in China in these catalogs are 100% pure junk.

I don't doubt they will get better, but it just makes me want to puke at the blatent copies of stuff. The Japanese still so it, but to a lesser extent than before (not necessarily knives here). After WWII they copied a German motorcycle so well it actually sounded identical... Now they are complaining about other countries doing it, talk about the pot calling the kettle black lol.

averageguy said:
You can bet that China can produce any quality knife they choose. A lot of people buy at the lower price levels, so that's what you see a lot of.

They know their market. They realize that the world perception of Chinese made goods is that they are cheap. This is a niche that they are happy to fill. Someday that will probably change. It has in the electronics industry to some extent. China is making some darn fine audio products and are gaining a good reputation in this field. It is bound to happen in other areas as time goes by.

I remember back in the 50's when the really cheap junk was Japanese electronics. Now most of the electronic audio/TV/Recorders, etc. are considered state of the art and come from Japan. I agree that China has the capability of turning out excellent products but probably won't until we demand them and are willing to pay a higher price point. With their labor rates, they will quickly put most American manufacturers out of business, hence some of the big name US Knife makers offering China made products under their name.

Except for the rarified air most of you guys live in (I'm one as well), most people look at a knife as something to cut something with and buy based on a price point.

I worry that more and more, people have no concept of quality....be it food, restaurants, clothing, tools, service. etc....its all about marketing.

That's my 2 cents worth for the month!

averageguy said:
The Chinese will make what you contract them to make. Most American company are still leveraging the lower labor cost and contracting the low end knives to be made. This not only leverages the low labor cost, but also the low material cost. When a firm is willing to pay for the higher quality products, it's entirely doable. Just look at the offerings coming from Paul Chen. Although I doubt they would ever get to the execution level of a Tony Bose.

Now really, in a world where most people are content to saw at their food with dull knives, and plastic dinnerware, are we REALLY on the verge of seeing China put out a good knife any time soon??? I don't think so. People are willing to buy crap, and so crap they'll produce. After all when people are willing to judge the quality of a knife by how much it weighs (QVC- 60 #'s of BOOEES!!!), I don't think we're in any danger. But you'll notice, I DID say that it was only USUALLY true that chinese knives were crap. Hell, Lays potato chips sometimes manage to have an oil stain on their chips that looks like the Virgin Mary, so ANYTHING is possible, but how LIKELY is it? Really?

Sincerely,
Anthony

I wouldn't necessarily say all Chinese workmanship is junk.

This is, by the way, what I thought you meant by "Chinese versions of traditional patterns". :)

attachment.php

Take note of the laminated steel blade. :)

Thanks to Joe Chen for the hookup.

-j

Attachments

• leaf.jpg
    leaf.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 62
Back