Assistance with dating and sheath matching please

Hi all, and thanks for the chance to probe your knowledge.
Big Randall fan in South Africa. Only own a handful, but this week I managed to pick up to more from a small collection. Unfortunately the humidity at the coast wasn't good for the carbon blade. Staining, feels smooth though. Stainless one survived well.
Based on the research I was able to do, I expect they are around the mid 70's...but could be later? I am a real novice with these.
Now for my problem. Previous owner only found the stored sheaths later. So we have no idea which sheath went with which knife.
I suspect the rivetted one is the earlier one, right? If so, I had assumed the one with the border patrol handle went in that sheath. Just based on gut feel and looks.
But that strap doesn't fit nicely around the guard.
And if I am correct, the border patrol handle was developed later?
So does that mean the finger groove one goes in the rivet sheath? Because I had assumed that was a later knife. But the rivets would make it the earlier knife.
See my confusion?
In short, can anyone determine which knife is the earlier one, and which goes in the rivetted sheath?
Huge thanks folks.

IMG_0921.JPG IMG_0923.JPG IMG_0924.JPG IMG_0925.JPG IMG_0926.JPG IMG_0927.JPG IMG_0928.JPG

Any pictures of the backs of the sheaths? Any markings on the backs?

No markings. I think this is called a rough back? But I am not sure.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0941.jpg
    IMG_0941.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 10
The older knife goes with the riveted sheath; the handle and guard on that knife has been modified. Still, good score; thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Agree :)
Melvin-Purvis, thanks. Do you perhaps have a pic of what it would have originally looked like?
I assume you are saying the carbon steel one is the earlier knife?

Agree :)
Melvin-Purvis, thanks. Do you perhaps have a pic of what it would have originally looked like?
I assume you are saying the carbon steel one is the earlier knife?

Yes, the carbon steel variant is the older knife; it would've looked like the newer knife.

I like the older one a lot. Looks like someone had a user they modified, then bought a spare that saw less use.

I like the modifications and patina. It’s a nice knife.

It blows my mind how Randall’s make it all around the world the way they do.

I’m not Melvin, but I think it started like this one.
Negative. The knife is late 60's, sometime around 1968; the BP handle wasn't introduced for another ten years. Nothing is certain, but without more, close up and to scale photos, I'm going with an owner modified knife. That said, if it helps you sleep at night, it can be anything you want it to be. :thumbsup:

Fascinating! Sounds like it may be the original border patrol handle.

You should write a book about Randall’s. Lol.

Back