Authentic Ka-Bar 1212?

I always wanted to own a Ka-Bar, but where i am, they are too expensive (like 130-150$). Today I found an add for a "as new" 1212 for a really nice price, but... I have some doubts. The terrible photos the seller sent me don't help (i know the guy, and he is not trying to fool me, he is sure that the thing is original.
What makes me wonder: Doesn't the finish on the blade look too "rough"? And the brass button on the sheath? I have never seen one like that... The serrated part of the blade also looks a bit "different "...

15gdmkm.jpg

2128iuc.jpg

9k2yqp.jpg

Looks authentic to me. I believe that for a while the blade coating used had a "slight crinkle coat" appearance. How the light hits the coating can make it look rougher that it really is due to slight shadows making it look rougher.

The brass snap has simply had the paint removed from it.

As a point of reference, you can typically buy that type knife brand new for around $75. Less when the wholesaler's are running specials. These days knife manufacture's rely on wholesale orders for the majority of their business. As a result for you and me going to the manufacture expecting the lowest price isn't what your going to find. The wholesalers don't want to compete with the manufacture, so manufactures typically agree to offer their factory direct sales at or very near full retail.
shop with a reputable wholesaler, you can find them here, or shop around the net if thats what you like. Hint, if your looking for a U.S. manufactured knife, and the best price you find is from an oversea's source, the odds are extremely high that the product is a knockoff.

Thank you for your replies.

I Would certainly buy one from a reputed wholesaler form the USA, the problem is... Customs... Even if there were any other problem, the taxes would bring the price quite close to the price of a reputable store here...

Anyway, i got the knife...
And truth is, for what i paid (roughly 50$, they usually go around 150$ on shops around here), i think it wasn't a very bad deal, even taking the risk of it being a knock-off...

When the seller said "as new", he meant that he had it for quite some time, it was carried, travelled a lot, but the actual blade was never used.
This not, by any means, a "recently" produced knife, so there can be some differences from the ones currently sold.

The scabbard is of very good quality, and the way it "adapted" to the knife says they have been together for some time, it has some wear, is more flexible than it would be when new, etc. The paint on the button has, indeed, worn off.

The blade finish isn't as rough as it looked and is absolutely perfect condition (not the most perfect finish i have seen, though, it has some imperfections).
The edge is imaculate and sharp as hell, really razor sharp (tested, shaved clean a small portion of my arm).
The pommel has an almost "sloppy" finish... It looks like it was painted with not too much care, and istead of the usual round, perfect "hammered" indentation i see around, it has a slightly irregular one (maybe they used diferent process/machinery at the time?).

Took some (bad) photos in a hurry...

2a5hbmv.jpg

ehhm6b.jpg

ou302u.jpg

15d8j2h.jpg

i1hans.jpg

2pt42hh.jpg

rro70n.jpg

24bln3m.jpg

69jg5v.jpg

b66om1.jpg

I didn't get the Implication that "where I'm" meant you where subject to customs and importation rules. Yes that complicates matters. As it looks from the pictures you made yourself a good deal.

Was just checking using Google-FU! Well saw a picture of your same knife and sheath with same serrations on Amazon, seems it was an older picture as it said it was from the manufacturer.

My 1211 plain edge came about when I ordered 1213 plain edge (comes with the hard sheath) from a smaller interweb company and they sent me the 1211 (it normally has a leather sheath) with a hard sheath. Me I didn't complain because all I wanted was the knife with the hard sheath and the 1211 (Current model I guess) and 1213 are plain edge and the same thing but a 1 instead of a 3 at the end of the model number. I got what I wanted. :D

Roguer, your 1211 is a 1213.

The 1213 and 1214 model numbers are really just 1211s and 1212s with the hard sheath. You'll never see 1213 or 1214 stamped on a knife, just 1211 and 1212.

Same with the 1281/1282/1283. All are 1281 knives. The model number simply indicates which sheath came in the box.

In fact, you can "change" your 1213 into a 1211 by acquiring the leather sheath direct from Kabar, or more cheaply, from Tomars. I bought some 1213/1214 sheaths and 1281/1282 sheaths so I can swap out the 1211/1212/1213/1214 and 1281/1282/1283 sheaths depending on intended work environment.

On a side note - 1213/1214 hard plastic sheaths work just fine with the "standard" (USN/USMC/USA) leather handled versions.

Roguer, your 1211 is a 1213.

The 1213 and 1214 model numbers are really just 1211s and 1212s with the hard sheath. You'll never see 1213 or 1214 stamped on a knife, just 1211 and 1212.

Same with the 1281/1282/1283. All are 1281 knives. The model number simply indicates which sheath came in the box.

In fact, you can "change" your 1213 into a 1211 by acquiring the leather sheath direct from Kabar, or more cheaply, from Tomars. I bought some 1213/1214 sheaths and 1281/1282 sheaths so I can swap out the 1211/1212/1213/1214 and 1281/1282/1283 sheaths depending on intended work environment.

On a side note - 1213/1214 hard plastic sheaths work just fine with the "standard" (USN/USMC/USA) leather handled versions.

Nope. My knife is stamped 1211 on it so I call it a 1211 knife. :p

But my 1282 just says D2 on it though. :cool:

My 1211 does a lot of mundane utility type thingies to be technical, it seems to be a knife good at utilitarian jobs as if it was made for it! ;)

My 1282 goes marine knife duty at times though, I really need to get a dive knife but the serrations come in handy in cutting up the big balls of fish line tourists throw in the water from a snagged up reel.

The pics give me a few pauses

Butt cap is shiny where as mine is dull. Also the sheath on mine is kydex. I didnt think they came with leather as an option?

Back