Benchmade Auto axis lock mechanism won’t re-lock

I own a bench made 5400 that works completely normal exept when I use the auto open feature, sure it opens like an auto knife, but when I try to lock the mechanism back into place it doesn’t lock and will just reopen if I don’t hold it closed. Any suggestions? I’ve taken it near apart, re-oiled, and still the same.

That's a tricky one, it's one of my few D/As that I haven't disassembled. Your best bet would be to ship it to Benchmade for repair, but if that's not feasible I could take a look at it.

Check that there's nothing keeping the axis lock bar from traveling forward when closing the blade, like pocket lint or dirt or whatever on the blade tang.

Also, pictures would help everyone diagnose what's wrong here.

Edit: I didn't understand that it's a DA. This might be more problematic than I thought.

Last edited:
Check that there's nothing keeping the axis lock bar from traveling forward when closing the blade, like pocket lint or dirt or whatever on the blade tang.
This isn't like a normal Axis auto...it's a Dual Action, the lockbar/tang interface has nothing to do with the spring being held closed.

Well, if it were me, I'd take it apart and see if there's anything obviously out of place or broken, but I wouldn't blame you for not wanting to. Automatic knives can be a PITA to ship to OEMs, as I understand it, so I'd exhaust all of my other options before exercising that one.

Oh I'm expecting to receive a FP Serum today & I happened across this thread...Here's hoping mine works okay! I hope you can get yours fixed, my man!

I own a bench made 5400 that works completely normal exept when I use the auto open feature, sure it opens like an auto knife, but when I try to lock the mechanism back into place it doesn’t lock and will just reopen if I don’t hold it closed. Any suggestions? I’ve taken it near apart, re-oiled, and still the same.

That's a tricky one, it's one of my few D/As that I haven't disassembled. Your best bet would be to ship it to Benchmade for repair, but if that's not feasible I could take a look at it.

A Alecator , take up WValtakis WValtakis on his offer to ship/post it to him. He is the best D/A expert here that I know of and regularly works on these special D/A’s. Go to his profile page (click his Avatar) and send him a email or profile message there.

My experience is that it's a dirt or lack of lube issue 9 times out of 10. The problem is that taking a knife apart shouldn't be the answer. A long time back I invested $25 in a ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight; it's amazing how much crud that thing can get out of a "clean" knife. I've used it on a pretty good selection of autos and the only one that I have that still has a locking issue is a 110 year old Flylock. And it's just not worth trying to take that apart.

Back