Auxiliary Compressed air tank info needed

JMJones

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I am looking for an auxiliary compressed air tank either to purchase new or convert from an existing compressor tank. My difficulty is that I need to have an air inlet and outlet for 3/4 ID air hose. It seems the smaller air hose sizes are pretty easy to find or convert but I am having trouble finding info on the larger size hose. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
John

seanj

Gold Member
The largest I could find on Amazon was 1/2". Can you use a reducer? What's your application?

JMJones

I am using it for a utility power hammer. The instructions call for 3/4 airlines throughout the system. My engine driven compressor puts out around 20 cfm but the storage tank is small.

SBuzek

KnifeMaker
Find an older 60 or 80 gal tank and take it to a welding shop and have them install 1" pipe fittings.

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

ilmarinen - MODERATOR
I agree with stan. Any welding shop can add the required fittings. Heck, you could have a welded make a tank from a section of 12" pipe and some metal plates for the ends.

JMJones

Anyone have any idea the ballpark price range for the welding service? I have a few messages into local places but figured asking here to get an idea what to expect cant hurt.

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

ilmarinen - MODERATOR
Most professional shops have a shop minimum charge. It is usually around $100, but smaller shops are lower ... or have no minimum.
To weld on two 1" pipe couplings ( IN and OUT) and a 1/2" coupling (water drain valve) I would expect a quality shop to charge $75-100.

I would recommend using extreme pressure steel butt weld fittings to get a thicker and stronger weld. Grind one end to fit the curve of the tank if needed.

43455k42-@1x_637680900304820150.png