B8 sheath experiment in light weight :)

David Brown

Kydex Sheath and Holster Artist :)
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hi Everybody,

Hope you all got your thick 8's ordered :)

I ordered mine .

With that, I had a friend (a certain Janitor ;) ) ask about a super light weight sheath for B8's.

Here is what I have found.

The original coated B8 weighs 13.1 oz

A regular sheath in .09" thick kydex weighs 4.6 oz with no tek-lok

A tek-lok weighs 2.0 oz with the screws and hardware it needs

I took a .09" thick sheath and cut most of the kydex away and it weighed 3.5oz with no tek-lok

I did a super super light weight sheath made with .06" kydex and it weighs 3.2 oz without the tek-lok

finally I took a sheath made with .06" material and had a bunch of material removed by laser and it weighed 2.4 oz !!!!!! but it is a bit fragile.

So for a light weight sheath for this light knife or even the thicker one, go with a .06" material :)

Enjoy.

B8

3mOAMyi.jpg

.09" material sheath

HTRzmoC.jpg

w/TL

seGW8tO.jpg

.09" material with cut outs

gAaC5LR.jpg

.06" material

cfSB1uk.jpg

w/TL

BXe9jRH.jpg

TL

JfkL5Dy.jpg

Super lightweight .06" material laser cut out

5bC9SaQ.jpg

ypA0YzE.jpg

LjxDzZq.jpg

didn't know BB did cut outs... Wonders what his Supercam black BG Sfno sheath would look like with a crusader cross or something :rolleyes:.

Very good Work David. I’m with you on this this!!!
I really like the beehive cut out!!

Ha Ha, the internet comlaints about trapped dirt and kydex won't be an issue with these Brother!!!:thumbsup:

Cool Stuff!!!:cool:

Hi Everybody,

Hope you all got your thick 8's ordered :)

I ordered mine .

With that, I had a friend (a certain Janitor ;) ) ask about a super light weight sheath for B8's.

Here is what I have found.

The original coated B8 weighs 13.1 oz

A regular sheath in .09" thick kydex weighs 4.6 oz with no tek-lok

A tek-lok weighs 2.0 oz with the screws and hardware it needs

I took a .09" thick sheath and cut most of the kydex away and it weighed 3.5oz with no tek-lok

I did a super super light weight sheath made with .06" kydex and it weighs 3.2 oz without the tek-lok

finally I took a sheath made with .06" material and had a bunch of material removed by laser and it weighed 2.4 oz !!!!!! but it is a bit fragile.

So for a light weight sheath for this light knife or even the thicker one, go with a .06" material :)

Enjoy.

B8

3mOAMyi.jpg

.09" material sheath

HTRzmoC.jpg

w/TL

seGW8tO.jpg

.09" material with cut outs

gAaC5LR.jpg

.06" material

cfSB1uk.jpg

w/TL

BXe9jRH.jpg

TL

JfkL5Dy.jpg

Super lightweight .06" material laser cut out

5bC9SaQ.jpg

ypA0YzE.jpg

LjxDzZq.jpg

Now that's how you take pictures! Great information to have thank you sir! That will be another choice that must be made lol! :)

Will these options be available on all your sheaths?

didn't know BB did cut outs... Wonders what his Supercam black BG Sfno sheath would look like with a crusader cross or something :rolleyes:.

can do everything is possible with enough time and MONEY ;)

Very cool Mr. Brown. Very cool.

They look awesome Dave!

Very good Work David. I’m with you on this this!!!
I really like the beehive cut out!!

Thank you :)

Think a taco style could shave a little more weight?

It could but it would be just a fraction of an OZ.

Ha Ha, the internet comlaints about trapped dirt and kydex won't be an issue with these Brother!!!:thumbsup:

Cool Stuff!!!:cool:

That is right but it could also let more stuff in and little sticks and brush may get stuck in there :)

Now that's how you take pictures! Great information to have thank you sir! That will be another choice that must be made lol! :)

Thank you.

That technique looks like it would make for some fantastic ultralight sheaths for carry inside a backpack—great innovation, Sir!

That technique looks like it would make for some fantastic ultralight sheaths for carry inside a backpack—great innovation, Sir!

Thanks Pard.

Awesome looking, it does look like it would snap easily though. I look forward to another one of your sheathes for my BG Fusion Battle Mistress . The one I got in green carbon fiber for my Mojo was sweet.

Back