BA3 question...and maybe a tasty pic or two as well ;-)

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by hookahhabib, May 22, 2020.

1. hookahhabib

hookahhabib Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2011
    This beautiful classic just came in today:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was pleasantly surprised to see that it is full flat ground. Is that normal for the BAIII? For some reason I thought they were mostly saber ground all this time...it's a pretty nice grind! EDIT- Correction, it's a Tanker A not a BAIII - didn't catch that minor detail when I was buying it.

I like it...a lot :happydance:

You are a Wizard Bossman!

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    gk4ever2, P-Easy, Béma and 4 others like this.
  2. Gravelface

Gravelface Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Not a BAIII.

me thinks modified tanker A

No butt. Grind and profile are wrong.

vkp78, uGAshooter and hookahhabib like this.
  3. hookahhabib

Feb 24, 2011
    Thank you for the correction!

I thought I saw pics of some BA3s with their butts cut off but maybe I'm remembering wrong...

Although you're right, the shape of the spine and the grind are different from the BA3 - I assumed it was a show variant...but it's Tanker A, huh? Well that's cool too! Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Do you know what year these were made?

tinfoil hat timmy and uGAshooter like this.
  4. hookahhabib

Feb 24, 2011
  5. Gravelface

Nov 8, 2005
    I’m not even sure if it’s a Tanker A. The profile is more fitting of that than BAIII.

Or a buttless Combat 4. Yeah, there were a few buttless badgers out there.

Early 2000s, 2001-2004 if I had to guess.

6. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Man that's sweet. Seems like you snagged a one of a kind buddy!

Looks awesome congrats.

gk4ever2 and hookahhabib like this.
  7. hookahhabib

Feb 24, 2011
    Based on that old Bladeforums thread and an ad on knifehunter's web store it seems like you're right. The length of the clipped point matches at least.

I suppose Jerry will maybe come along and set us straight?

It was sold to me as a BAIII and didn't consider the Tanker A as a possibility. An old PD I had years ago is the only exposure I've had to the old Satin Jack handle, so I don't really know much about them.

uGAshooter likes this.
  8. hookahhabib

Feb 24, 2011
    Thanks BroMigo! It's a cool one...I really like this profile.

9. Will York

Will York Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 21, 2000
    What a cool piece—love that. Congrats!!!:thumbsup::cool:

hookahhabib and gk4ever2 like this.
  10. 360joules

360joules

Nov 23, 2013
    That is GORGEOUS! I love that blade. Congrats!

Please write me into your will for that one. :thumbsup:

hookahhabib, Gravelface and gk4ever2 like this.
  11. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
    BAIII has an actual drop point blade, here’s DABAIII

[​IMG]

Sweet old school score regardless!

12. P-Easy

P-Easy Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Found some info from an old thread which might help a bit, and included a photo of my BAIII and ABA.

*edit* - after seeing further comment, I'd agree on Tanker-A variant.
    I'd say yours could be the clip point desert ABA (CPDABA). Beautiful piece, and that could be a linen micarta as well; much finer pattern than the black canvas on the BAIII.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  13. gk4ever2

gk4ever2 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2008
    I think Gravelface is right. I tend to believe it is a Tanker A variant (variant due to the buttless configuration). One difference between the BAIII and Tanker A is the TA has a longer ricasso, but the definitive difference is the Tanker A is ~.25" thick, while the BAIII is either ~.19" or ~.15" (anorexic or ABA). Also, as you pointed out, I think all BAIIIs have a saber grind (although I'm not 100% sure of that). It is a great looking knife, and those grips are stunning (I'm virtually certain that is linen micarta, very cool)! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

14. Gravelface

Nov 8, 2005
    Man.....I make a motion to close this thread.

too much badassery in these blades condensed into 1 thread has me eyeing guns to sell to get one!!!!

15. gk4ever2

May 1, 2008
    :D

Here's some info from Jerry on the Tanker A:
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...l-be-here-friday-night-10-10-30pm-est.276162/
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/heres-the-tanker-a-offer-boys.276416/

I regret not buying a Tanker A, but I did get a couple BAIIIs. I like the BAIII size, and I have always liked the BAIII/SJ handle - very comfortable! :)

hookahhabib likes this.
  16. resinguy

resinguy

Feb 19, 2006
    It's too bad that redwolfhowling doesn't come around anymore. He had a large collection of BA3.

hookahhabib likes this.
  17. gk4ever2

May 1, 2008
    Yes he did; here's a photo of them. Idahoskunk had a bunch of them too, but I know he sold some of them.

BA3-RedWolfHowlin-2008.jpg

VashHash, hookahhabib, Busto and 4 others like this.
  18. resinguy

resinguy

Feb 19, 2006
    wolf put up a sales post some years ago. IMHO his asking prices were too high for the market at that time. He may have simple been gauging interest, or it was an opening gambit for later private negotiations. <shrug>

hookahhabib likes this.
  19. gk4ever2

May 1, 2008
    It's probably good that I did not see his sale. ;):D

hookahhabib likes this.
  20. hookahhabib

Feb 24, 2011
    Thanks man! I'll keep that in mind :p

@elof_alv and @P-Easy - thanks for the info and for sharing your beautiful BA's! They really are amongst the best designs that Jerry released. I'd really love to get my hands on a BA or ABA sometime down the line.

@gk4ever2 and P-Easy, I think you're both right about the scales on mine being black linen - it is a much finer pattern than the usual black canvas. Thanks for those links as well @gk4ever2 ....old Jerry posts are some of my favorites to go back and read!

hahahaha @Gravelface - I know that feeling all too well! Such threads have definitely cost me a lot of money in the past :eek:

I'd love love love if @idahoskunk or redwolfhowling came back to share some of their stash! I remember that amazing pic of the BA/ABA assortment - one of my favorite pics I saved from my earlier days hanging out here.

This is unorthodox and mods I'll happily delete this part below if it's not allowed:

In a strange turn of events, I was just recently offered a borderline-unicorn Busse that I've been after for years. I can maybe even call it my holy-grail Busse (I don't use that term lightly, I usually don't use it at all) - it's a Busse that's been on my dream-knife list since 2011 and everything about this one is better than I ever could have hoped for. As much as I love this Tanker A, I may have to let it go so as to help catch my unicorn while I can. If any of you really like it, feel free to message me soon and I'd be happy to chat - was planning to put it on the exchange soon and am willing to give a nice price on it as well especially if any of you guys commenting here are interested.

Damn, that kinda hurts, but you guys know how it goes. Been working really hard to not have to sell knives I like to buy other knives and have been successful at it for the last 8 months; I guess the pace of incoming new stuff has been a bit higher than my finances can handle, so something has to compromise.

All that being said, even if it does end up going sooner than I hoped, I'm glad I was able to at least share some pictures of it with you guys here. Not nearly enough old school Busse pictures lately...