Becker Bk9 Vs?

beachmaster

Gold Member
Well guys, I am back at it, and heck, maybe people will enjoy it more this time.

Battle of the Midweight Choppers-

Ill be comparing the Becker Bk9 with the Esee Junglas II and the Shadowtech Python.

Each knife will chop through an equal length 2x4 that is equally clamped 5 times, with the highest and lowest number of chops being removed, and the remaining 3 rounds being averaged.

Its not the perfect scientific model, but its as good as anybody is going to find, and it will make for an interesting data point and baseline.

For comparison sake, on paper-

Knife Weight Blade L Thickness Steel OAL Grind MSRP
Becker Bk 9 16.4oz 9" 3/16" 1095cv 14.75" saber $90-120
Junglas 2 20.8oz 8.38" 3/16" 1095 14.5" saber $150-160
Python 22.6oz 8" 1/4" 8670 14" hollow $180

Let's see...

Handle wise...BK 9 would seem better performance.

I'd like to root for the 1/4" think knife but the hollow grind throws me off a bit.

I never got a Junglas I or II because well...the BK 9 does about the same thing at a lower price...well to me that is. But with my limited knowable stuff of steels/treats/whateverdonetoitstuff the Rowen process probably makes a great production blade that can surprise us in this chopper off.

So for a MID-weight chop off of these it's going to be intersting see what does best at what.

But for personal disclosure, I use my BK9s for a mid-weight multitool, a jack of all trades that can do many things above okishly.

Should be fun. I bet the Junglas and BK9 pull ahead, but we'll see how your testing works out.

I have a knife with a similar handle to the python, where it has an abrupt pinky stop. It makes it hard on my hand for chopping but it does give the knife almost a "big bushcraft knife" feel. It's always interesting how even just a little difference in the handle can give a knife a different character when used heavily.

Should be fun. I bet the Junglas and BK9 pull ahead, but we'll see how your testing works out.

I have a knife with a similar handle to the python, where it has an abrupt pinky stop. It makes it hard on my hand for chopping but it does give the knife almost a "big bushcraft knife" feel. It's always interesting how even just a little difference in the handle can give a knife a different character when used heavily.
I think you are right, a lot of small details in geometry, whether it be handle, blade, or edge, can make a HUGE difference, which makes it easy to see sometimes when a manufacture or designer REALLY knows what they are doing, or whether they are just making knives.

Now Im confused....... I thought the BK9 was King

For a general purpose do most things pretty well knife, it falls in to the "King" category. Some can easily out chop it (like my SP-53 and SP-51 from Ontario that are my heavy choppers), some can finer cut it (usually smaller blades), others can out perform it (usually at a way higher cost). But for a good multi-tool it covers every thing from OKishly on up. That's a mark of a Royalty setting for me at least. Its a good light weight multi-tool especially when your not car camping or any thing like that. I love its solid thumpin and whumpin hilt that makes me pair it with other blades as well.

Back