1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Becker vs ESEE

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by DeltaCypher0, Jul 9, 2012.

1. DeltaCypher0

DeltaCypher0

Jun 5, 2012
    So, i've been considering the Izula(II) or maybe the Candiru for a fixed blade EDC. I have the 14 right now. Should I invest in ESEE? When it comes down to the steel and quality, is ESEE's higher prices worth it? Ive heard the KaBar tempering processes are superior to ESEE. any thought?

2. thrillbilly

thrillbilly Banned BANNED

Apr 16, 2011
    I dont own any ESEE items so I have no input

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  3. Chameleonbear

Chameleonbear

Aug 14, 2008
    I'm carrying a 16 on my right hip and a Esee-3 on my left hip, and a Scrapmax in my boot. So :p

4. HardTripper

HardTripper

Dec 13, 2010
    Yawn... Just buy one, they're all good dude.

5. Carlos Oak

Carlos Oak

Jul 3, 2012
    They both work with 1095 or similar.

The ESEE uses your good old 1095.

Ka-Bar uses 1095 Cro Van.

The real diference is: Ka bar is a little (really litle) more brittle than the esee but has more edge retention. But very minimal because both use similar heat treatment.

6. hayes31

hayes31

Jun 5, 2012
    They're both great... I prefer ESEE, but I've only had a few Beckers (2, 14) and a few ESEEs (Izzie, 4, 5). I prefer the BK2 to the ESEE 5 but the Izzie to the 14...

So I'll call it a draw :D

I think if you're happy with your 14, stick with your 14 :thumbup:

7. Lonewolf01

Lonewolf01

Oct 31, 2011
    I love ESEE and KA-BAR, own a bunch of both brands and can honestly say it's up to how much you want to spend, I find edge holding / toughness are pretty much the same, so that's a draw.

With ESEE you get an awesome sheath / micarta grips stock so no need to go out and purchase those separate, but it also comes with a higher initial purchase price, with Becker you get a great blade with a lower price, but if you want a better sheath / micarta they cost extra, and in the end both the ESEE and Becker cost about the same if you include a custom sheath / micarta.

I own an IZULA II and can say nothing but good things about it, I recently used it as my main knife on a 2 week trip in north western Montana and it did everything I asked of it.

Like I said, it depends on how much you want to spend initially, I find Beckers are more of a "Kit" knife that you mod / customize to how you like it, not saying you can't do it with an ESEE.

8. Carlos Oak

Carlos Oak

Jul 3, 2012
    Oh also forgot something. Like Lonewolf01 said there is the modding.

But there's also blade specs, so if you think the 14 is too big for your needs the izula is a bit smaller but not much so if you want tiny go candiru.

That awsomely gruesome fish that lives in my country. I will get a candiru just for its name place it in a well seen place and put it in a glass like those of fire emergency with the sayings:

In case of sister boyfriend break the glass.

9. mrn8

mrn8

Jun 8, 2007
    The Candiru is a sweet little knife. If you already have a 14 and want something a little smaller, I highly recommend it. I've carried mine everywhere lately, no matter what else I have.

10. Critikill

Critikill

Jun 19, 2012
    I thought about getting one but I can't get past the name... *shiver*

11. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    The Izula II with kit is worth the extra.
    1/2" less blade is more than made up for by the extra 1/2" of handle and full length micarta.
    the kit adds a few $$ to the sticker shock, but includes whistle, paracord, cord lock, fire steel, reversible belt clip plate, bits and pieces for making a snare trigger, and instructions on various ways to use it all.

12. UCPOPO

UCPOPO Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2010
    I have em both and love em both. But I also like some ontario stuff so everyone may call me crazy :D

13. BRL

BRL Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2011
    I think you'd have a hard time distinguishing between the steel quality/performance between the two companies/product lines. And the thing is, Becker or ESEE is such a ridiculously can't-lose prospect anyway... literally toss a dart at a catalog and you will have yourself a badass knife.

I kinda wonder though.. if you've got a BK14, I think you're pretty well set for edc. The Candiru seems small for that.

14. Carlos Oak

Carlos Oak

Jul 3, 2012
    Why? That fish is awesome....

15. Critikill

Critikill

Jun 19, 2012
    Not for the weak of stomach.

[video=youtube;Mh20L7eX_wU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh20L7eX_wU[/video]

16. Carlos Oak

Carlos Oak

Jul 3, 2012
    That's why the i made this line. The ultimate storyteller knife...

"I will get a candiru just for its name place it in a well seen place and put it in a glass like those of fire emergency with the sayings:

In case of sister boyfriend break the glass."

17. Bladite

Bladite ǝɹnsıǝן ɟo uɐɯǝןʇuǝb Moderator

Feb 28, 2003
    at least you're a real cop :)

18. Bladite

Feb 28, 2003
    trust me, the BK2 swimming "upstream" leaves a bigger exit wound :)

19. Carlos Oak

Carlos Oak

Jul 3, 2012
    Imagine the Machax upstream...

20. Bladite

Feb 28, 2003
    no need :)