1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Benchmade 551 H2O vs spyderco pacific salt

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Surfingringo, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Surfingringo

Surfingringo Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2013
    Hey all quick question. Looking to get a larger rust proof knife for hard use on and around the ocean. I already have a dragonfly salt and really like it. I am considering the pacific salt and the benchmade griptillian h20. I like the tip better on the grip, but the salt seems like its more rust proof and is half the price. My main question is how do these two compare in ruggedness. I use my fishing knives pretty hard and they take a beating. Is one of these two knives going to hold up better than the other?

Would love to hear from anyone that has experience with both!

2. michaelm466

michaelm466

Mar 5, 2009
    I was pondering the same two knives about a month ago and decided to go with the Pacific Salt, here's what I found in my reading:

551 H2O:
    - Stronger lock (IMO easier to use)
    - Better edge holding (in PE)
    - Handle isn't as brightly colored (Orange vs Yellow)
    - Handle is shorter, but fatter which for me is more ergonomic to use but not as comfortable in pocket
    - Has 420J2 liners and more metal in general (more to rust)
    - X15tn or N680 is very stainless, but still a rust resistant steel not rust proof

Pacific Salt:
    - Better edge retention in SE
    - Rust Proof Steel
    - Linerless
    - Ti pocket clip
    - 420J2 back lock

Overall the Pacific Salt is more rust resistant/proof both blade steel and hardware, the Benchmade will have better edge retention in PE, but the Pacific Salt will have better edge retention in SE, you get a longer blade with the Salt, if I were set on only getting a PE blade I'd probably go with Benchmade and make sure to rinse my knife out at the end of the day with freshwater or no worry about it if use was in rivers/lakes. If its meant primarily for ocean I'd go SE Pacific Salt.

19-3ben, DocJD, Deinos and 2 others like this.
  3. VictorLouis

VictorLouis

Mar 6, 2000
    Research and see if there's any real-world use reports on the H2O yet. I exposed my one H1 blade to blood, salt & vinegar on various occasions. Just wiped it off and didn't worry aout it. Not a speck on it as of yet.

4. uxo2

uxo2 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2013
    Necro thread bump.

5. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    Why?

6. uxo2

uxo2 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2013
    Because I currently own both and wanted some feedback on them.

Rykjeklut likes this.
  7. Stays Sharp

Stays Sharp

Nov 21, 2013
    Well, OP ended up being a big fan of the Salt series as an avid fisherman and has collaborated with Spyderco on a fixed blade.

AntDog and Cscotttsss like this.
  8. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Yeah the OP's story took an interesting arc. I bet a lot of folks would like to have the same thing happen; ask a question, don't get an answer so you find out for yourself and wind up getting your knife made as a production piece.

trevitrace and Cscotttsss like this.
  9. Rykjeklut

May 23, 2018
    Salt is better for fishing and activities in/near water.
    Griptillian is better as overall EDC. IMO.
    I also own both.

This needs some elaboration.

jeepin and uxo2 like this.
  10. BITEME

BITEME Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Benchmade has a lot more internals to get mucked up and the h1 steel is no slouch,Spyderco for the win...just my necro response

11. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    19-3ben and Rykjeklut like this.
  12. Stays Sharp

Stays Sharp

Nov 21, 2013
    Danke elaborated further and shared OP's YouTube channel.

13. Stays Sharp

Stays Sharp

Nov 21, 2013
    This needs elaboration. Thanks.

14. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    If you currently own both, why not form your own opinions? I guarantee the feedback will be conclusive (to you).

15. Rykjeklut

May 23, 2018
    Sure did. After my post.

I find that the thinner blade and overall build of the Salt is better for gutting and prep of fish.

While the Griptillian is a much more all round good EDC. The handle and blade shape... It's a Griptillian with a very stainless steel. It's popular for a reason.

16. Richard S.

Richard S.

Aug 28, 2018
    I’ve had an H20 since 2014. My only complaint is edge retention with the steel.

Blur1670 likes this.
  17. Rykjeklut

May 23, 2018
    This is definitely true. It's pretty easy to sharpen it though.

18. trevitrace

trevitrace Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Excellently put.

AntDog and 19-3ben like this.
  19. Surfingringo

Surfingringo Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2013
    Wow, what a classic blast from the past! This was actually one of my very first posts on Bladeforums! I joined the forum back then just to try to get some help finding a good rust proof knife. A lot of life happens in 6 years! I got much of my knife edge-u-cation from friends right here on this forum. A BIG thank you to Bladeforums and all the knowledgable and helpful members here that helped me out over the years!

Enactive likes this.
  20. Enactive

Enactive

Nov 30, 2018
    This is hilarious, Lance!