Benchmade/Kershaw folders any good for light outdoor use?

I am considering adding a folder for outdoor use (light use, just some fiddling, tweaking, small cutting jobs etc). As i live in the Netherlands it will get wet as rain is quit common here so the handle should have a nice, firm grip.
Today i handled a Benchmade Griptillian which impressed me and looking through websites also came across the Kershaw Blur (nice handle :D )
I am not too familiar with folders, normally i use fixed blades, and certainly don't know many people with experience with these brands. Have any of you ever used them (guess so) and do any other brands come to mind? Pricerange... lets say maximum 200 dollars.
Sorry about my many questions lately, this country i live in has not many knifelovers/knife-experts, i am sorry to say :( . I value your opinions, that is for sure.

Spyderco, how about a multitool? (Gerber, they have folders too, not sure about the quality, and Leatherman).

If you just handled a Griptillian, you've handled what may be the best knife for the money you can get. :) With the handle materials and size, it would be perfect for your wet outdoor use.

Patryn said:
If you just handled a Griptillian, you've handled what may be the best knife for the money you can get. :) With the handle materials and size, it would be perfect for your wet outdoor use.

Yes true, also you can check out our Manufacturers Forums For other brands. But ya, the 550 may be the knife for you.

I have the Kershaw Blur and found the grip to be one of the best. Very grippe! I used it last week to field dress my buck. I never felt like I needed another knife.

If you like the grip, consider the rittergrip version, I like mine a lot, and it has s30v blade steel. The axis lock is also very nice, currently my favorite lock type.

rsk_mk1_aeromedix_300wds.jpg

Thanks to above forumites for the advice/shared experience. Seems to be that whichever of the mentioned folders i choose will be a good solid buy.
A very comforting thought :)
I am still getting used to the idea that folders are very solid and though nowadays. I have had some bad experiences with them in the past, but they were VERY cheap and VERY badly made. I am fully confident that these mentioned folders will PERFORM :D

I have a Griptilian and i gave a Kershaw Whirlwind as a gift.

I found the overall finish of the Griptilian much much better. The edge showed a smaller bevel on a flat ground blade and therefor is easier to maintain and stronger overall compared to the Kershaw which showed a high edge bevel which will take more time to get it grinded. The Kershaw is a high hollow grounded blade therefor a bit weaker than the BM.

Even though my friend as very happy with the whirlwind, i recommend one of the Griptilians or, if you live near the sea (you probably do :D ) the Monochrome is a good choice for you.

As i heard that Axis locks are not sand friendly (they may stuck if sanded, don´t know first hand but heard of it) the Monolock is easy to keep clean, the steel is superb aswell the price and i always have heard the best of it.

The german speaking forum www.messerforum.net offers a review of the Monochrom from hollidays near the sea and camping..

It´s not build for me, cauce it is not that leftie friendly.

I like the grip on the Kershaw Blur more than the BM. If you do decide to get the blur, I would recomend not getting the bead blasted finished as it is more prone to rust.
The Griptilians are the better choice in most other aspects. The blade will hold up considerably better and the lock is much more reliable.
If you were to look at Spyderco, you may find something that fits your bill nicely. My one problem with this company is that they don't have enough knives with robust handles. But there is the Native III. Knives like the Delica have very thin, easy to carry, handles. However for harder work, I do wish they were beefier.
Hope this helps somewhat.
-KC

Knifeclerk said:
I like the grip on the Kershaw Blur more than the BM. If you do decide to get the blur, I would recomend not getting the bead blasted finished as it is more prone to rust.
The Griptilians are the better choice in most other aspects. The blade will hold up considerably better and the lock is much more reliable.
If you were to look at Spyderco, you may find something that fits your bill nicely. My one problem with this company is that they don't have enough knives with robust handles. But there is the Native III. Knives like the Delica have very thin, easy to carry, handles. However for harder work, I do wish they were beefier.
Hope this helps somewhat.
-KC

err.. as for the Spydercos, I guess you haven't checked the chinook :D its handle has plenty of body to grip onto :p else I would recommend the Manix or the Military, they seem to be nice to handle, yet not too bulky to carry, both have stainless steel blades and both have easy to clean lock mechanism (linerlock for the millie, lockback for the manix) :cool: it's too bad I cannot afford them for the moment (I'm the happy owner of a Puma White Hunter since last week ;) ) but they are well placed in my wish list.
As for me, the one folder I often carry outdoors is my CRKT Prowler, and it fits my needs without complaining :) even if it needs a bit more edge maintenance than nowadays super steels blades...

I like so much mine! It has a very good grip. It's lightweight but resistant & has a blade a little bit bigger (should I say wider?) than other knives of the same size. I didn't have the opportunity to check out the Kershaw Storm II yet but it seems to be a good one too (the recurved blades are one of my weaknesses).

I've had good results using the Benchmade 710 for camping and outdoor purposes. Cuts great and takes a beating. You just want to be careful not to get crud in the axis lock, because it's kind of a pain to clean.

glockman99

RIP Dann, you were a good guy.
Nathan S said:
I've had good results using the Benchmade 710 for camping and outdoor purposes. Cuts great and takes a beating. You just want to be careful not to get crud in the axis lock, because it's kind of a pain to clean.
The Benchmade 710 is the folder that I was about to recommend, as it's an excellent, stout folder, with 154CM steel, G-10 scales, dual stainless liners, the Axis-lock, and the fact that it is totally ambidextrious.

look in the forum on threads that discuss framelocks

i'm sold on them....no little spring to jam with crud or break

framelock locks dont break......period.

the frame IS the lock