Best ambidextrous folding knife?

Arn

Hey guys newbie here. I'm looking for my first knife and I want an ambidextrous one. So far in my research I've only come across the Benchmade Griptilian that is truly a ambidextrous knife. Are there any others out there that I should consider or is the Grip the best there is?

Also what are the pros and cons of having a straight edge blade vs. partially serrated one?

TIA

Planterz

Іди на хуй Путін!
Any of the Benchmade AXIS lock knives (the Griptillian is only one of quite a few) are 100% ambidextrous.

Spyderco's FRN lockbacks are ambidextrous as well, as well as many others of theirs.

This is a pretty hefty question. Yes, BM's and most Spyderco's are ampy-friendly. Mostly, you will have to stay with back-locks or Axis-lock knock-offs or slip joints.
Or you could get a fixed blade. About 90% of those are ampidextrous.
As for your second part, A half serrated blade will be somewhat wasted unless on a larger knife. There are some who disagree with me, but I like to saw with them. The serrations can also help if you just need some extra bight to make the first initial cut. In these instances, half serrations work pretty nicely.
But the BM Grip is a great first knife. Maybe even step up a bit and get a Ritter Grip. Those things are pretty boss.
-KC

Knifeclerk said:
This is a pretty hefty question. Yes, BM's and most Spyderco's are ampy-friendly. Mostly, you will have to stay with back-locks or Axis-lock knock-offs or slip joints.
Or you could get a fixed blade. About 90% of those are ampidextrous.
As for your second part, A half serrated blade will be somewhat wasted unless on a larger knife. There are some who disagree with me, but I like to saw with them. The serrations can also help if you just need some extra bight to make the first initial cut. In these instances, half serrations work pretty nicely.
But the BM Grip is a great first knife. Maybe even step up a bit and get a Ritter Grip. Those things are pretty boss.
-KC

Note, many "Axis-lock knock-offs" are usually pretty good, the cold steel's ultra lock for example and Spyderco's BB lock.

Are you looking for a one handed open/closer? If so, the Axis lock may be what you're looking for. Some/most lockbacks require two hands.

"Or you could get a fixed blade. About 90% of those are ampidextrous."

Don't forget, if you want it to be ambidextrous, you'll also need a sheath that will accomodate this. My CRKT Carcajou can be used in left/right hand, but because of the design of its sheath, it can only be drawn (easily) with the right hand.

Along the lines of the fixed blade's sheath, in a folder, you'll also need a reversible/moveable clip, unless you don't want one at all.

For many of some of these big broad knife questions, you may want to look here.

Basically, serrated blades are more effective when cutting tough materials or materials in tention, however, when cutting some soft materials the blade will grab the material ripping or shredding it up. They also keep their edge longer. They are more effective in slice cuts. They are harder to sharpen. Sometimes they make rough cuts.

Plain edges are easy to sharpen, are good in push type cuts, shaving, skinning, peeling fruit for example. They can be "course ground" to have many characteristics of a serrated blade and makes it sharpening faster. Makes clean cuts (use when presentation matters).

I hope this helped.

If you want a cheaper but decent ambi knife try a CRKT Hawk D.O.g. It's my beater and I'm a lefty

Arn

Thanks guys for the helpful info. Basically I am a lefty thats looking for a blade I can open and close with one hand whether it be my left or right. I'll checkout the suggested blades here before I make my purchase.

Cold Steel Scimitar - This would be my choice; I can open mine easily with either hand & the liner lock is incredible - second to none - even custom folders I have examined costing 3x as much $$...

Good luck!!!

As a lefty myself, I came looking for a good EDC knife here a while back, and ended up with the rittergrip

rsk_mk1_aeromedix_300wds.jpg

To which I have recently added a BM 806D2 just for fun, and because it had several of the things that I looked at and wanted when I ended up with the grip that it didn't have (d2 blade, bt2 coating(just for fun) g10 handles, and thumbhole so you can fake wave it), although to do that it gives up the rittergrips more sheeple friendly look (although I'm still planning to carry the 806 quite a bit), and very high flat grind for slicing, which I like.

I would recommend you get the rittergrip if you can afford it, although the standard grip might serve your purposes pretty well as well.