best folder for 70 bucks

i want to get the best knife i can for about 70 bucks. it needs to have a pocket clip and be an edc. i prefer not Teflon coated blades. what should i look for or which brand should i look at?

Look at Kershaw, Cold Steel, and Spyderco first. Once you have a feel for what they have available, try to get some ideas for what you want more specifically. Once you know what size, weight, blade style, potential uses for the knife, etc, come back and ask for more specific recommendations.

Personal Favorites: Kershaw Leek/Packrat, Spyderco Delica/Endura/Native(4), Benchmade 530, Buck Vantage (sandvik steel)

spyderco delica, native is okay to but i dont cary it that much because it looks really aggressive (native would be great SD)

EDC with a clip isn't a great description of what you need. Different shapes have different strengths. What a LEO or EVO needs for an EDC would be very different than what a warehouseman would need.

He said non teflon coated. That rules out the Lawman, Recon 1 and AK series. With $70 i'd pick up a Benchmade Griptilian (or mini).

As other people have pointed out it depends a lot on what you want, a bit bigger blade? more robust vs is weight a big deal?
- Spyderco makes great knives, the three you should check out first is Dragonfly, Delica and Endura, in increasing sizes.
- Most kershaw knives are in your price range. perhaps a skyline or maybe blur?
- Benchmade griptilians are good, but might be slightly above 70$ in some places
- the CRKT Onion Ripple impresses people. Some people like the M21/M16 carson designs

It depends a lot on what kind of designs you like. Not everyone likes Spyderco designs. have a look through the suggested ones and give us more information.

He said non teflon coated. That rules out the Lawman, Recon 1 and AK series. With $70 i'd pick up a Benchmade Griptilian (or mini).

Not really. The coating on those is easy to remove, and the finish underneath is absolutely gorgeous.

I think $70 will get you a Benchmade Griptilian. That was one of my first folders and remains one of my favorite workers today. I know some people don't care for the FRN (reinforced plastic) handles but I've never had an issue with them and like how lightweight the knife is. If you save up another $30 or so you can get a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 or Sage 1 which are also really solid knives.

I also like the idea of the Kershaw Blur in S30V. Nice knife for the $$.

And as others have said, down in the $50 range you have some good options (various Cold Steel blades, cheaper Spydercos, Kershaws, etc) but if you have the money I'd take a Griptilian over pretty much all of those knives.

Depends what you want in size. Look at the Spyderco Endura 4 FRN and pick the color of your choice. It's got a nice flat point design. It comes very sharp, has an excellent blade steel and knows its way around a kitchen. Cold Steel also makes some nice folders.

$70, you say? Well, if you go to one specific web store and get a Benchmade Griptilian with their discount code, it comes out to $70.13, plus shipping. Don't be put off by the "plastic" handles. It is similar to the polymer pistols like Glock, the XD and the M&P. Tough stuff!

Not only that, but you get great customer service from Roger if you buy it at the link I just provided. I wish I had my mini-Griptilian back, and I would like to pick up a full-size Griptilian as well.

Back