Best retailers for culinary and meat cutting knives?

Knifecenter sucks in this regard. A lot of the big names in professional working knives like F. Dick, Dexter-Russel, and Mora have a pitiful or non--existent selection. Amazon's not much better. Often the product info is incomplete or inaccurate, so you can't confirm what you're actually getting, a huge problem with manufacturers that have a large lineup with multiple nuanced options like stiff/flexible, etc.

There any online retailers that are good for this sort of thing? I want to get a bunch of butchering knives to try out at work that I've seen on the websites for the manufacturers listed above without paying full MSRP by ordering directly from their sites.

I imagine there might be some sort of web based restaurant supply store that would have a lot of those things.

In Seattle we're lucky enough to have a store that caters to professionals who use knives (cooks, etc). The last couple commercial knives I've bought for the kitchen I got from them. The rest have been customs.

I can get almost anything from F. Dick's culinary and industrial meat-cutting lines within about 3-4 days, just in case that helps.

I agree that mora has very few kitchen knives, but what they do have are really high end hand made knives (the 1891 series)... this classic chef costs nearly $200 but as far as high end chef knives go, it's supposed to be quite good

I'm curious, what is your specific complaint about the series?
kockkniv-rod-produkt.png

Are you a professional meat cutter or just looking for a good set of meat cutting knives? The reason I ask is I have worked as a meat cutter for 45 years, all the while using piss-poor crappy knives that have the edge retention of stale bread. I personally wouldn't use my own knives as the crappy ones work just fine or at least good enough for my cheapskate boss.

You also need only 2 knives for pretty well all your cutting chores, a boning knife (for...well...boning and trimming) and a steak knife (for...well...slicing steaks). Both cost around $30 or so, probably around 20 bucks for you lads south of the border.

A guy I work with did say he bought a couple of Victorinox knives that he said were pretty good but pricey.

I agree that mora has very few kitchen knives, but what they do have are really high end hand made knives (the 1891 series)... this classic chef costs nearly $200 but as far as high end chef knives go, it's supposed to be quite good

I'm curious, what is your specific complaint about the series?
kockkniv-rod-produkt.png
If I understand the OP correctly, he was saying that Knifecenter specifically did not have a very broad selection from those companies' respective culinary/industrial product lines.

Back