1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 34 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Birthday knife recs

Discussion in 'Emerson Knives' started by MAKnifenut, Jul 11, 2014.

1. MAKnifenut

MAKnifenut

May 14, 2013
    Hey guys. So I'm turning 20 in 2 weeks and i asked my parents for an emerson. They know nothing about knives and I'm tired of telling them exactly what i want for my birthday, i like surprises. So what I'm going to do is start this thread and not read it. Instead I'm going to give a link to my parents. It would be great if you guys could give them recs on which one to get me. I would prefer a 3+ inch blade but thats not completely necessary. I also hate sedations. Thanks for your input in advance and ill make sure to post which one they get me. Also, i love waves so a waved model is preferred.

2. EmersonREP

EmersonREP Moderator Moderator

May 11, 2014
    I love sedations, especially on a long flight!! lol j/k can't go wrong with a BULLDOG or MINI CQC-15!

3. Silvanus

Silvanus

May 17, 2012
  4. S.T.R.

S.T.R.

Apr 16, 2012
    I recommend a thesaurus and a dictionary. Sedations are great when you are having surgery, other than that, no so much!
    The Patriot is a big knife that is smooth. The 10 has a great utility blade. Can't go wrong w a Commander. The 7 is iconic. Which ones have you handled? Which ones call your name?

5. rayster357

rayster357

Jun 13, 2014
    I would recommend the Endeavor which is still available through Emerson knives directly. It has a sub 3.5" blade in their beautiful stonewash finish with a plain cutting edge without the serrations (teeth). The handle is like the mini commander which is quite ergonomic and comfortable.

6. jmorton10

jmorton10

Apr 5, 2014
    Patriot would be my suggestion (I have two and absolutely love them).

I like the grip on the Patriot so much that I never carry any of my Commanders anymore.

~John

PS: I love sedation as much as anybody, but I would rather not be sedated when using a knife....LOL

7. Akapennypincher

Akapennypincher

Sep 12, 2013
    How about giving your son an Emerson gift card that can be any amount over $25.00, he can pick what he wants, if he is short on the total, he can save for the difference.

Kind like when I was a yound boy. My mother use to say she would spend x for school shoes, if I wanted more than the Sears Roebucks Brand I could make up the difference out of my savings.

8. ibute21

ibute21 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 26, 2010
    I like akapennypinchers idea, but I say all of them!!!

9. blkcbrf2

blkcbrf2

Jun 17, 2013
    I second this one. Sedations can be very cool. Especially if Jennifer Aniston was my dentist, like in Horrible Bosses

Go with a Commander or cQC-15 or a CQC-10.

10. Akapennypincher

Akapennypincher

Sep 12, 2013

MAKnifenut will no stop at one. One is a starting point, with more to come.

11. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    HBD!
    Mini Commander.

12. BLK

BLK

Mar 22, 2010
    I highly recommend the cqc13, can't go wrong with a american Bowie!:thumbup:

13. gooeytek

gooeytek

Jul 12, 2011
    15, mini-15, 8, Horseman, 10, 7, they're all great, and I'm sure you'll love any of them. Good deals come up on the exchange pretty often.

14. Knife is Life

Knife is Life

Apr 26, 2014
    a would say a cqc-13, the super commander if you want something bigger

15. Xdm9mili

Xdm9mili

Mar 7, 2014
    Horseman!

16. Akapennypincher

Akapennypincher

Sep 12, 2013
    What happened to the member who started this thread?

17. mobilerd

mobilerd

Jan 10, 2012
    ROADHOUSE!!!!!!!!!! Hook your boy up. EKI.com the kid deserves it.

18. Aias

Aias

Aug 1, 2012
    Cqc 13 or a Commander... happy birthday!

19. A.P.F.

A.P.F.

Mar 3, 2006
    A CQC-15 or an A-100.

20. Officer's Match

Officer's Match Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2013
    I love the 15 and mini15 - still haven't had the pleasure of an A-100 (need to change that).