BK16 Coming

1066vik

Gold Member
Good looking knife. I have thought about ordering one when I get back up to full time working again. But then I think I carry my BK-10 all the time so would I use it or would it end up in the extra knife basket.

I think you would use it and the BK10 would get moved to secondary use.
when I got my 16, I sold off my ESEE4 with extended scales and largely stopped carrying my ESEE6.

plumberroy

Gold Member
Basic Member
I think you would use it and the BK10 would get moved to secondary use.
when I got my 16, I sold off my ESEE4 with extended scales and largely stopped carrying my ESEE6.

The role that a BK 16 would fit I cover with Mora Kansbol . Besides my BK-10 is pretty special to me since someone gifted me the knife someone else gifted me the kydex sheath scales are an early Christmas gift from my wife and I just ordered a tek-lok with a gift card from another friend.

Henry Beige

Gold Member
My BK16 came last week. All I have done with it so far is to beef up the cardboard blade cover with Gorilla tape. In the same period, I haven't looked at my Kansbøl or my Jäkkääripuukko. There is some redundancy there, but I can live with it.

BK-16 is a fantastic knife when you just don't need/want to carry a full size. As a Bonus it makes a fantastic knife to gift to an up & coming young person with outdoor tendencies. It will be something they will remember and cherish forever.

SALTY

Gold Member
It may have been me that nicknamed the BK16 the Sweet 16 as it truly is a sweet size, sweet weight and sweet handling knife; no disrepect to the original Sweet 16 Browning Auto 5.

Ethan Becker has been known to say that, "If there's dirt under [his] feet," he's carrying a a BK16!

daizee

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
You have chosen wisely.

re: sheaths
Hard to find a better sheath on the market for the $18 retail that kabar asks for them sold separately.

FedEx just dropped it off. I like it. Scary sharp out of the box. Scales seem to be adequate, like Uncle Ethan says “smooth but not slick”. I have a stainless screw set on order. I’ll prolly try the tan scales when I get the screws. I also have a leather belt sheath on order for it. My sheathless Camillus pilot survival knife fits the BK16 sheath I got today. It’s all good

Last edited:
I love mine. I upgraded to the Micarta grips. I wish the sheath were a little over an inch shorter since it's longer than it need to be for the blade. A big gap at the of the sheath. I'll probably get a Kydex sheath made for it sometime.
It also takes and hold a very good edge. Even after a bit of wood chopping.
The only negative is that you're hand could slide over the grip onto the blade. Causing you to need three stitches and still have most of your finger below the mid joint to be numb, and also unable to completely bend your finger.
I'm still note entirely sure how I did it though.
This is the one I take anytime I'm in the woods, even for just a day hike. Very versatile and useful.

Uncle Ethan says the grips on the BK16 are smooth not slick. If the stock grip was greased I see no way your hand could slip to the sharp edge. Buck knives have a more slick grip than BKs. Because Buck grips are difficult to change out folks accept them as they are. Replacement grips are mostly marketing IMO. I like the grips on my BK16.

daizee

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I agree with Triple-D. The grivory (or whatever they're calling it these days) works remarkably well. I also love micarta.

Those tweener sheaths fit the 15, 16, 17. They'll fit your BK-62 too. They'll even take my 6" AuK6. Incredibly versatile.

MolokaiRider

Gold Member
BK16 is a great all around, jack of all trades hip knife.

I upgraded the sheath to a Kydex version, then use the stock one for a Morakniv fillet knife. It fits perfectly and both snaps work.

Awesome knife. The two mods that do very well with this are squaring/stripping the spine a bit so it can strike a ferro rod, and a Kydex sheath is a definite "nice to have" upgrade.

I honestly get torn between this and my bk2 whenever I'm out camping/in the woods. If I'm prepping for a fire or batoning the bk2 takes the edge, but for general woods carry and use, the bk16 usually takes the win.