1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey folks! We're having a Becker Giveaway over in the Giveaway forum, check it out and have a chance to win a free Becker 4 Machax, Becker 5 Magnum Camp, or Becker 15 Short Trailing Point!

Black pits/specks on S30V blade

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by photoman12001, Oct 8, 2017.

1. photoman12001

photoman12001 Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2008
    I’m looking to see if anyone has experience dealing with CRK and black pits/specks on S30V blade’s (or perhaps other steels). I just received yet another knife with an undisclosed issue (really getting old) and I’m wondering if I should just return it or if it’s something CRK recognizes as an issue.

This is a 2008 small 21. Other than light signs of use (snail trails) the knife looks great EXCEPT for the black pits on the blade. There are three I can see without disassembly: the two shown in the photo and another small one on the rounded portion of the blade tang. The two shown are rather deep, especially the one near the edge. Honestly, I like the knife enough that I wouldn’t care if that large one was not at the edge. I bought this as a user and my fear is that it will essentially become a chip in the edge as it is sharpened and material is removed. I think it’s deep enough that it’s a possibility.

I’m asking this because I have a another small 21 from 2010 that has some black specs (not pits) and I’m wondering if there were some acknowledged imperfections with some of the S30V blades. The pitting on this knife seems extreme given its overall condition. If my only option is to pay out of pocket for a new blade, I’ll probably just return it to the seller (already contacted him). Micarta inlay pre “Idaho Made” 21s aren’t terribly common though :(

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  2. bhyde

bhyde UNNECESSARY EVIL Staff Member Super Mod Moderator Platinum Member

Mar 19, 2002
    I would return to seller as an undisclosed issue.
    As far as seeing pitting- Yes, but it is or was fairly rare. StainLESS does not mean corrosion proof.
    But I would return it moreover because it was not disclosed.

3. photoman12001

May 23, 2008
    Thanks, I know that’s the smartest thing to do and probably what I will do. If it was easy to find another one of these I wouldn’t even question it. I have a fondness for pre-“Idaho Made” 21s and micarta inlays.

bhyde likes this.
  4. JNewell

JNewell

Nov 18, 2005
    That almost looks like an issue with the stock the blade was made from, not a corrosion issue that arose after the knife was shipped from CRK. If you like the knife, I'd email the pic to CRK and follow up with a phone call. Possibly they'd replace the blade under warranty. I have to say that this is a pretty obvious defect and for the seller not to mention it is pretty lame.

5. socom1970

socom1970

Feb 24, 2015
    ^^^This for sure. I've not seen that before now. I wouldn't be happy with that either.

6. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    It's a 7 yo knife. It was once used on something corrosive (e.g., pickles) not cleaned off and it corroded. The surface discoloration was polished and buffed away, leaving just the pits. Not CRK's problem.

I'd keep it, but ask for 20% refund from the seller if it wasn't disclosed before the sale.

I have one small pit on my S35 blade, not sure how it got there, but I ain't blaming CRK.

7. kilogolf65

kilogolf65 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2015
    There will always be another deal. May be hard to find but my guess is if it bugs you now it will later so return it. You’ll find another.

8. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Everything I would have said has been said. Just wanted to know who you bought from so I can avoid that seller.

mrknife likes this.
  9. photoman12001

May 23, 2008
    I initiated contact to return it this morning. I hated to do it because otherwise I really like this knife. The titanium and micarta are right at that perfectly worn look that I love. I was really looking forward to carrying this thing. That pit at the edge is just too deep.

Here’s a better photo of it though I wish my DSLR was working so I could pull out the macro lens. You can also see a black speck on my 2010 small 21 blade near the line between the primary grind and flat. It is not a pit though.
    [​IMG]

There is also a series of very small specks within the primary grind on the presentation side of my 2010 plain 21 but they don’t show up in photos easily and I wasn’t really trying to capture them here.
    [​IMG]

10. photoman12001

May 23, 2008
    I didn’t buy it on BladeForums but it was another popular knife forum. I’ve only done about 10 transactions on that other site and had about a 50% failure rate. I’ve had a few issues here too but the percentage is much smaller.

I’ve had very bad luck lately with this stuff as I mentioned in a thread about a Hinderer Half Track I recently got. Sellers all over are not adequately describing their items in far too many instances. This Sebenza really stung though because I asked the seller several questions and mentioned that I’ve had issues like this recently (receiving knives with undisclosed issues). He empathized then sent this.

I plan to start a separate thread to discuss this further.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  11. JNewell

JNewell

Nov 18, 2005
    If the problem were something like vinegar (pickles), I'd expect much more pitting than that, and not as deep.

12. marthinus

marthinus KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 10, 2006
    See if you can wipe it off with acetone. If it is not pits it might just bee stropping/jeweling compound.

13. James Longstreet

James Longstreet Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2014
    I fully symphatize with what you are saying. My "score" is also 50% on lets say ...... different opinion about the definition of "mint". >> Dictionary says: "in mint condition = perfect, as if new"

Sometimes maybe just by mistake, very often by intent, where seller is hoping that buyer is less sensitive, not checking good enough or simply not looking for discussions and return shipments.

14. photoman12001

May 23, 2008
    I love getting LNIB items with obvious signs of use and carry. “Light user” is the term I find to be misused. I know this has no hard and fast definition but I consider a light user to have:
    • Mild wear (snail trails, anodizing wear, no dents/gouges/scratches that catch a fingernail)
    • A used edge that I can tune up easliy on my Sharp Marker (no chips, flat spots, rolls)
    Here is an example of another recent transaction I had. I decided to do an unboxing video based on the condition of the shipping package. I did not find the knife’s condition to match the description. You have no idea how badly I wanted to tear this knife down and try to get it back in good order. It pained me to see a Sebenza in this condition. I did not because I returned it.

Seller’s description:
    “Here is an authentic Chris Reeve Small Sebenza 21 with a serrated blade. I have carried this knife and it has been used for light cutting tasks. It has not been abused or used improperly in any way. The original black cordage is also included, but untied. This is one of the best folding knives ever built.”

My tone is a bit testy in this video, which I regret, but I was pretty displeased by this. It seemed like an egregious misrepresentation to me.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  15. photoman12001

May 23, 2008
    Well, it's boxed up for return :(
    Here is a better shot of the pitting in case anyone wants to see it. I just shot through a 10x loupe with my iPhone and it worked pretty well.

[​IMG]

16. Mike Large

Mike Large Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Politely, I would most definitely return that. Small things like this eat and eat at me until it's the first and sometimes the only thing I see. These 'pits' are new to me, sounds crazy, but they look contagious to the blade... but hell, what do I know

17. photoman12001

May 23, 2008
    I’m the same why. If I look look at the presentation side I love it. But in instances like this I usually return if possible or end up selling with full disclosure. Even if the issues can be fixed there is an emotional component involved where I get that feeling of being burned every time I pick up the knife.

bhyde likes this.
  18. Mike Large

Mike Large Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2017
    I simply wouldn't be able to 'settle'. My small 21 I recently had engraved would not open at all with the screws tightened all the way. FAR too stiff. I called and explained the issue and the knife came back to me saying it was fixed. Well, it was simply not tightened down fully and the problem remained. Now I told myself maybe this particular sebenza is just happy being a bit looser than my others. Everything is fine. Haha, well that lasted about a day. It is currently back at the factory with my request for new washers and possibly new bushing. At my expence id necessary. What I'm getting at is, if your like me in anyway, this will be a burden. Plain and simple. Rip off that bandaid now... as they say

19. photoman12001

May 23, 2008
    Ive got a small Classic with wood inlays that’s like that (too tight with screws fully tightened) but I got it cheap enough the it doesn’t bother me...much. It will go back to the factory for spa treatment with some others soon. Hopefully they can fix it though it’s not a deal breaker for me on that one.

Mike Large likes this.
  20. JNewell

JNewell

Nov 18, 2005
    That pic came out amazingly well. I am not a metallurgist but to me the pit on the edge looks more like an inclusion that existed when the steel was made than a pit formed by acid or similar agents after manufacturing. I know that that sort of thing is not supposed to happen with the CPM process, but everyone has a bad day. OTOH, I have a hard time imagining that leaving CRK's shop. Either way, it shouldn't be your problem and returning it is the right thing to do. The seller really should feel some guilt over that. Or get a better trained dog...

photoman12001 likes this.