Bloodborne Folding Saw Cleaver

So this is my first post to the forum. I've been making knives since I was like 13 so I've gotten a good amount into it, but I never did make a folder yet. At the same time I wanted to make one, I was also playing through Bloodborne, and really fell in love with the saw cleaver. For those who haven't played the game, the weapon looks like a very gnarly saw, which folds out into a big ole' cleaver. So for my first folder, I made the most silly and impractical (but fun) knife ever haha.

The ''knife'' is a lockback with some additions. It's quite crude and ugly but it's still cool and strong. Blade was recycled from a section of an old 60'' Sawmill blade. The Locking area uses some cheap plate steel with a middle section from the same sawblade. I used a nice little volute spring to put pressure on the lock lever. Handle is made of Plexiglas/Lexan which is very strong.

Overall it's the strongest folder I've handled. The lock was actually designed wrong, with the lock's tooth behind the pivot point of the blade (should be above and in the middle). I fixed this with a very crude bolt that is inserted into a hole in each position. This makes it almost as rigid as fixed blade of the same design (I've chopped through firewood, plywood, etc.), which can be seen below.

Overall I can definitely do way better looks-wise, but since this was mostly a prototype thing I took it easy in the finishing department haha.

Also if anybody is wondeing why there's a little spike sticking up from the lock, that is there to serve as stop for the blade, sort've similar to the pin in Cold Steel's Tri-ad lock. Makes it very strong.

So this is my first post to the forum. I've been making knives since I was like 13 so I've gotten a good amount into it, but I never did make a folder yet. At the same time I wanted to make one, I was also playing through Bloodborne, and really fell in love with the saw cleaver. For those who haven't played the game, the weapon looks like a very gnarly saw, which folds out into a big ole' cleaver. So for my first folder, I made the most silly and impractical (but fun) knife ever haha.

The ''knife'' is a lockback with some additions. It's quite crude and ugly but it's still cool and strong. Blade was recycled from a section of an old 60'' Sawmill blade. The Locking area uses some cheap plate steel with a middle section from the same sawblade. I used a nice little volute spring to put pressure on the lock lever. Handle is made of Plexiglas/Lexan which is very strong.

Overall it's the strongest folder I've handled. The lock was actually designed wrong, with the lock's tooth behind the pivot point of the blade (should be above and in the middle). I fixed this with a very crude bolt that is inserted into a hole in each position. This makes it almost as rigid as fixed blade of the same design (I've chopped through firewood, plywood, etc.), which can be seen below.

Overall I can definitely do way better looks-wise, but since this was mostly a prototype thing I took it easy in the finishing department haha.
A folder with fixed blade capabilities ?

I'm about to have my bloodborne platinum this weekend.

I been playing the series since it released October 6, 2009 demons souls. Dark souls weapons have been featured on the show forged in fire.

enjoyed you knocking everything off its stand. folding saw blade deal ya made is pretty neat too. good job on it.

How would it do on an empty propane tank? Asking for a friend.

Eagle Scout, I am now probably going to develop a folding machete design since this worked so well. That would do better for pasture grasses I think.

Needler420, another show where they make some Soulsborne stuff is Man At Arms. Check out their Greatsword Of Artorias build, my fav.

Stonproject, if you mean the Blades Of Mercy, I thought of it but idk if I'd like to. Currently working on something like the Hunter Axe.

Jbmonkey, haha agreed man, I need some kind of cutting stand instead of my anvil with some wood on it lmao.

Newdebate, if you mean a barbecue propane tank, I'd never swing it against it. It has a very wide edge and is razor sharp which is not good for cutting any kind of metal. I doubt any knives would puncture a propane tank, unless you mean a small one for a torch.

Mecha, the Plexiglas I'm using is actually an older form of Polycarbonate, not something cheap and flimsy like Acrylic. I've swung this stuff into concrete with no issue. I trust it.

Eagle Scout, I am now probably going to develop a folding machete design since this worked so well. That would do better for pasture grasses I think.

Needler420, another show where they make some Soulsborne stuff is Man At Arms. Check out their Greatsword Of Artorias build, my fav.

Stonproject, if you mean the Blades Of Mercy, I thought of it but idk if I'd like to. Currently working on something like the Hunter Axe.

Jbmonkey, haha agreed man, I need some kind of cutting stand instead of my anvil with some wood on it lmao.

Newdebate, if you mean a barbecue propane tank, I'd never swing it against it. It has a very wide edge and is razor sharp which is not good for cutting any kind of metal. I doubt any knives would puncture a propane tank, unless you mean a small one for a torch.

Mecha, the Plexiglas I'm using is actually an older form of Polycarbonate, not something cheap and flimsy like Acrylic. I've swung this stuff into concrete with no issue. I trust it.

Good to know about the handle material. Just makin' sure, as I've used regular plexiglass for things and had it crack!

I also use my anvil with a piece of wood on it for cutting and/or batting things across the room like that. :p

That's quite impressive. I've seen cosplays with functioning (and much more convincing) replicas, but never a working prototype of a capable saw cleaver. Well done!

Mecha, the hillbilly cutting stand is common haha, also I know what you mean, good to be cautious.

Rock6, what do you mean, I EDC this to the supermarket daily. Kidding LOL that would cause a stir. Thank you.

Lieferung, I could've made it much dirtier and uglier but Im too much of a clean freak when it comes to my knives haha

Thanks Armadew

Kids got heart, and it’s nice to have dad’s garage to work in too but overall kudos.

Nice job on the video, (I watched till the end)

Good for you wearing safety glasses. Might wanna consider wearing gloves and a lanyard in case the blade slips. Also noticed towards the end you got a little over enthusiastic and got close to catching yourself at one point.

Here’s a little constructive criticism and please don’t think I’m a hater here. I’m not fond of the style and personally I feel it’s dangerous to put to any continued rigorous use and stay safe.

As I read along it seemed like you had no clear cut method to make this. Kinda made it on the fly and problems encountered, addressed as you went along.

Not a bad thing and finishing it instead of giving up teaches you a lot of way to get around problems encountered.

Again kudos for what you made.

Now my advice, get away from the fantasy stuff/zombi, post apocalyptic stuff. Start workin’ the traditional patterns. If your going to gain experience, might as well do it in a way that’ll be more benificial to becoming a knife maker and not a prop maker.

If you’re gonna do a video, make a short storyboard before you shoot so you can maintain continuity and generally get through in less takes with less editing.

Polish your process and videos, don’t pander to the video game crowd and you’ll get more help from the makers on the forum.

Fantasy stuff done right and safe is still cool, don’t get me wrong but do it for you, do it for fun right now. Practice makin’ the things that’ll get you noticed as a Knifemaker/bladesmith.

Good luck to you and hope to be seein’ more from you. Just be careful I’d hate to see you get hurt before you reach your stride.

Back