Recommendation? Boating knife

Hey guys, I have a work mate who is looking to go work on super yachts.

He is look for a knife to take with him but struggling to find one that fits all of his requirements, which are;

Not too fat and bulky in the pocket
Folder, blade around 3"
Have a marlin spike for undoing tight knots.
Be very very corrosion resistant as it will be salt water environment.
Nothing too tactical.
Budget friendly.

Cheers all.

I googled what a marlin spike is and it led me to a sailing forum where most people swore by their myerchin knives. So I guess that. Although if he carried a stand alone marlin spike then that would significantly open up the pool of potential knives to choose from.

Wow man that's a tough list of requirements. The marlin spike, good stainless steel and inexpensive are three pretty mutually exclusive needs.

My suggestion would be to convince him to up his budget, he can get the Spyderco tusk, which checks EVERY OTHER box on his list for ~$230

Another choice would be two separate tools, one a single bladed knife and one a dedicated folding marlin spike. That could be put together for ~$130 cheaper ($75 for a spyderco Salt series folder and 30 for some marlin spike thingy)

David Boye's boat knife fits all those specs. It's a cast, dedritic cobalt alloy with Ti fittings, spike, shackle and clip. His family worked the water, the knife is designed to not only fit the job, but save your life. He' been perfecting the design for about 30 years. He manufactures them, but it's a small shop, so it's probably a mid-tech. All USA made.

David Boye's boat knife fits all those specs. It's a cast, dedritic cobalt alloy with Ti fittings, spike, shackle and clip. His family worked the water, the knife is designed to not only fit the job, but save your life. He' been perfecting the design for about 30 years. He manufactures them, but it's a small shop, so it's probably a mid-tech. All USA made.
Boye's knives are really nice. I love Stellite, but it is hard to find a good Stellite folder that is decently priced. I have one of his folders and one fixed blade, they perform very well!! I have a para-cord necklace and clip the folder to it using the pocket clip, works fantastically when I am fishing, boating, whatever, even farm work. Lightweight and will never rust...definitely worth checking out!! The folders are worth the price, to me at least, thinking about getting one back up.
If that is too steep of price, a good line is Spyderco's H1 series, but no marlin spike as far as I know.

IMG_2742.jpg Here are a few Boye's and a Spyderco Tusk. The Tusk has a nicer fid. 2 of the Boyes have been modified to a clip point. I prefer the BDC (Boye Dendritic Cobalt) Stellite 6-B to the BDS (Boye Dendritic Steel) 440-C blades. Both knives have a shackle wrench. I like the longer blade of the Boye. The Boyes come with a bail which I have removed. The bail fits in the lanyard hole. The Tusk has a reversible pocket clip. The blade steel of the Tusk is LC200N. The Tusk also has a lanyard hole in its Titanium handle. All blades lock except the Boye marlinspike.

I have used a salt 2 this summer at sea and while diving
I can only recommend it
I have a all black version but the yellow/satin version may be better for you

David Boye Cobalt Folder. Exactly what it is made for and will cut all day and even when it feels dull. Kevin

Cheers for all the replies guys, have passed them all on. Will update you with what he ends up getting.

I think he will have to up his budget by a factor of two.

Rough rider marlin spike. Their SS is on par with case knives and they are cheap enough to be disposable.

Hi!

Two different “Made in Italy” suggestions from my side: :)

From MAC Maniago Italy, the Skipper model can be good, it ticks many of the requirements’ boxes. It comes around 30 EUR here. :thumbsup:

http://www.mac-coltellerie.it/it/product/185/skipper.html

But, but… going to work on “super yachts”, if it was me, I would flip this out and surely impress my billionaires customers :D:p

http://www.extremaratio.com/prodotti/coltelli-subacquei-e-nautici/nautici/bf2-v.html?___store=en

Good luck with your choice, it’s really many options :)!

Check AG Russell . Fox knives. And finally Garrett Wade.
The above all have sailing knives prices around a hundred and lower. All are reputable companies. Good.luck.

Honestly I have to get one of those Boye folders. They are the ultimate boat folding knife in my eyes. If he can afford one I would get it. I heard that the flat cross section of the Boye's marlin spike compared to the round cross section of many others makes it better at wrenching knots apart by twisting your wrist.

Still I think a Spyderco Salt series and a seperate spike would probably be the best solution.

Try the Camillus Marlin-Spike

41EIMWFeEFL.jpg

Just under $40. The blade is a 3.5" sheeps-foot made of VG10 with a titanium nitride finish. Should be very corrosion resistant. It's thin with a wide, hollow grind. Good slicer that's very easy to sharpens.

Back