Boker Plus Exskelibur I - EDC observations

I have EDC this knife for about a year, now. For those considering one of these knives, here are some of my thoughts.

The knife is generally really well made of great materials. For me, the blade geometry and thickness is almost perfect for my everyday use. I love the simple, no BS, highly functional design. I especially like the front flipper actuation. Front flippers will eventually become the gold standard for folding knives, IMHO.

However, there is one glaring problem which has caused me to now sadly put this otherwise great knife in a drawer to probably never be carried or used again. And, that is the lock stick in combination with the lack of any designed surface to press against to unlock the knife.

Out of the box, the lock stick on this knife was not good. This due to the titanium lock bar directly interfacing on the locking surface of the blade steel with no intervening steel insert. But, I liked the rest of the knife so much I figured I could live with the lock stick. And, I was hoping it would go away, or at least be reduced, with use, which, sadly, has not happened. There is just as much lock stick after one year of use as on Day 1 out-of-the-box.

Unfortunately, with further use, I found that the lock stick problem was exacerbated by the lack of a good surface to push your thumb against when unlocking the knife. There is just nothing there that affords your thumb a good purchase to press open the lock bar. Sometimes, I would have to hold the knife in one hand so I could push the tip of my thumb of the other hand down into the gap between the lock bar and the opposite scale to wedge open the knife. A significant PITA indeed, but, still, I liked the knife so much that I consciously decided to accept this defect in operation.

However, with still further experience, I found that when I did hard push cuts which tend to force the blade open just a tiny bit further open than when the knife is opened with your thumb, the lock bar would move slightly deeper into the lock position, which then made it so hard to unlock the knife I would have to find a little impromptu pry tool to "break" the lock bar free so I could close the knife.

I know there are "fixes" for lockbar stick, but they all seem temporary and require continuing maintenance as the fix wears off. Except for a wipe down and sharpening, my EDC needs to be low maintenance. Plus, a poor design sticks in my craw and diminishes the appeal of the knife to me.

Yesterday my Laconico Keen from Massdrop arrived. It is a super nice design that in many ways is very similar to the Boker Plus Exskelibur I. Except it has a steel insert on the lockbar, meaning zero lock stick. Oh my god, I'd forgotten how nice it is to have an easily released lock bar.

The smooth release of the Keen caught me by surprise, and made me rethink my rocky relationship with the Boker Plus Exskelibur I. After cycling the Keen two times, I decided that the severe lock stick of my Exskelibur was just too too much. Lock stick requiring occasional two-handed closure (not to mention an occasional pry tool) is beyond acceptable to me, no matter how nice the rest of the knife may be. (The dumbazz name "Exskelibur" didn't help the knife's cause, either.) The Exskelibur I is now in the dresser drawer, and the Laconico Keen is my first string EDC knife for the foreseeable future.

JMHO

Last edited:
On some knives a bit of lock stick is deigned in as a safety feature . But in that case it should be made to easily access and apply enough pressure to unlock .

I love mine but have to agree with you on the lock.
The lock stick can be treated with multiple applications of Sharpie.
But the access to the lock bar is poorly designed.
It is not a cheap knife, and they should have been done it better.

Sharpie trick is by no means a guaranteed fix. Nor are the other tricks.

My Rule #1
If there’s lock stick on a knife, new out of the box, it gets returned/exchanged immediately if cleaning the lock surfaces doesn’t fix it.
Don’t have time to waste on a defective knife for the sake of wanting to tinker.
Lock stick? Knife goes back.

This is my pet peeve more than anything. I’ve seen it on various knives and it usually does not get better, unless there’s oil on the lock surfaces, which is rare on a BNIB knife. Lock stick is almost always a design issue and/or a defective grind on the blade tang resulting in incorrect geometry of the mating lock surfaces. Why would I want a knife with either of these permanent problems?

I don't know that much about Böker, but isn't it possible that you got a bad one? I know I've seen some other members here go on and on about how good it is.

I don't know that much about Böker, but isn't it possible that you got a bad one? I know I've seen some other members here go on and on about how good it is.

Good suggestion.

Lock stick on the Exskelibur I is a universal problem, so I don't think it is a manufacturing defect, but instead a design defect.

Those that don't mention this problem with their Exskelibur I knives are probably like I was - willing to overlook the problem for a otherwise nice knife in a rare front-flipper format - or are either light users where lock stick is just a minor annoyance, or are collectors who pretty much don't use the knife at all. JMHO.

. . . Lock stick is almost always a design issue and/or a defective grind on the blade tang resulting in incorrect geometry of the mating lock surfaces. Why would I want a knife with either of these permanent problems?

I am with KVT on this. I now view lock stick as a fatal defect, and would never accept such a knife no matter how nice. I simply won't tolerate it at all since it is never going to really go away, and will get worse in heavy use.

Indeed, after my experience with the Exskelibur I, I won't buy a frame locker without a steel insert in the lock tip (or other design feature to prevent lock stick). Soft titanium on hard blade steel in that application is never going to end well, and, further, is a sign of the manufacturer cutting corners. My feeling is "why bother going there?"

Again, JMHO

I saw the second version of this knife in-store and the lockup looked like this. I passed on it.
01bo033det3.jpg

Maybe lockstick is the good thing, making it safe...

I have EDC this knife for about a year, now. For those considering one of these knives, here are some of my thoughts.

The knife is generally really well made of great materials. For me, the blade geometry and thickness is almost perfect for my everyday use. I love the simple, no BS, highly functional design. I especially like the front flipper actuation. Front flippers will eventually become the gold standard for folding knives, IMHO.

However, there is one glaring problem which has caused me to now sadly put this otherwise great knife in a drawer to probably never be carried or used again. And, that is the lock stick in combination with the lack of any designed surface to press against to unlock the knife.

Out of the box, the lock stick on this knife was not good. This due to the titanium lock bar directly interfacing on the locking surface of the blade steel with no intervening steel insert. But, I liked the rest of the knife so much I figured I could live with the lock stick. And, I was hoping it would go away, or at least be reduced, with use, which, sadly, has not happened. There is just as much lock stick after one year of use as on Day 1 out-of-the-box.

Unfortunately, with further use, I found that the lock stick problem was exacerbated by the lack of a good surface to push your thumb against when unlocking the knife. There is just nothing there that affords your thumb a good purchase to press open the lock bar. Sometimes, I would have to hold the knife in one hand so I could push the tip of my thumb of the other hand down into the gap between the lock bar and the opposite scale to wedge open the knife. A significant PITA indeed, but, still, I liked the knife so much that I consciously decided to accept this defect in operation.

However, with still further experience, I found that when I did hard push cuts which tend to force the blade open just a tiny bit further open than when the knife is opened with your thumb, the lock bar would move slightly deeper into the lock position, which then made it so hard to unlock the knife I would have to find a little impromptu pry tool to "break" the lock bar free so I could close the knife.

I know there are "fixes" for lockbar stick, but they all seem temporary and require continuing maintenance as the fix wears off. Except for a wipe down and sharpening, my EDC needs to be low maintenance. Plus, a poor design sticks in my craw and diminishes the appeal of the knife to me.

Yesterday my Laconico Keen from Massdrop arrived. It is a super nice design that in many ways is very similar to the Boker Plus Exskelibur I. Except it has a steel insert on the lockbar, meaning zero lock stick. Oh my god, I'd forgotten how nice it is to have an easily released lock bar.

The smooth release of the Keen caught me by surprise, and made me rethink my rocky relationship with the Boker Plus Exskelibur I. After cycling the Keen two times, I decided that the severe lock stick of my Exskelibur was just too too much. Lock stick requiring occasional two-handed closure (not to mention an occasional pry tool) is beyond acceptable to me, no matter how nice the rest of the knife may be. (The dumbazz name "Exskelibur" didn't help the knife's cause, either.) The Exskelibur I is now in the dresser drawer, and the Laconico Keen is my first string EDC knife for the foreseeable future.

JMHO

Which version of the exskellibur do you have?

You could try not cleaning the black mark that forms on the tang lockface where the lockbar connects. This black mark will appear after multiple openings and closings. Start with a clean tang lockface and build it up.

Once this little layer of titanium is deposited on the tang lockface it tends to eliminate lockstick and helps prevent further wear of the lock.

On some knives it will cause lock slip though so be aware to test for that by pushing on the open knife spine once enough is there to eliminate lockstick.

The problem with this knife is imagining what it could be. Imagine K390 or M390 with a lockbar insert with titanium.

Back