Boker Plus Mini Bo-Kri...WHOA!

Aloha ALL,

Hope you all have been well. I have been under a ton of stress lately, so I decided to learn how to throw these John Bailey Mini Bo-Kri throwing knives put out by Boker. I have had these for sometime, but never actually put the effort into learning them. I am glad that I finally did!

Basic specs on these throwers can be found here: http://www.boker.de/us/fixed-blade-knife/magnum/throwing-knife/02MB160.html

Anyway, once you get the hang of throwing these, they are a lot of fun to throw! I was actually amazed at how well these knives have held up, being that they are made of 420J2. Mine are full of dings due to making contact with a Mini Bo-Kri (MBK from here on) already stuck in my target! But they're still in one piece...I have had throwing knives made of the same steel actually break.

The furthest I am throwing from is about 25'...once I master that distance, I'm gonna try further. Closest I throw is 10' and under. When throwing from longer distances, I keep my thumb on the side of the blade. Closer distances, I have my thumb high on the blade spine. This is where you will notice why the design of this knife is the way it is. I had some trouble sticking the MBK's straight when thrown at close distances, again ranging from 13' and under. They'd stick sideways...so I sought the help of the designer of the MBK's himself, Mr. John Bailey. He stated that he throws with a blade hold from the distance I was sticking the MBK's at. However, I tried focusing on my technique a bit more and now they stick straight! The higher you grip these knives, the slower the rotation.

Multiple targets are a must, due to the knives making contact with each other when ya throw a tight group. However, I noticed these don't "burr" or splinter like some throwers I've had. Don't feel too good after a knife makes contact with a knife, ya don't see the splinter and you proceed to pull the knife outta the target!

These MBK's are very durable, and take no time at all in learning to throw them. If you like throwing knives, I highly recommend these!!! I have the three knife set. Some pics:
DSCF4068.jpg

Pretty typical group thrown from 25', thumb on side of blade:
DSCF40822.jpg

You can see how close that group was, and the remains of my target are composed of 3 1/2" boards!
DSCF40832.jpg

Shot of the three MBK's all dinged up, but still going strong!
DSCF40842.jpg

If you're into throwers, try these. They're amazing knives, very well designed. Mahalo to my friend Mr. Bailey for his taking the time to assist me in my quest to master these Mini Bo-Kri throwers!

Take care all!

Nice throwers man, I wouldnt mind getting some. I used to be into throwing knives when I was younger and for some reason lost the interest but its comming back!!!

I got a couple of these knives sometime last year. They really are better then I had expected. The sheath is also very nice. I got them because I was so happy with my Boker Zeils(full size and mini). Boker makes some nice throwers.:thumbup:

Hey guys

Ever since the first time I saw way of the dragon I wanted to get into throwing knives but never really got around to it. I'm looking for some good knives right now and want to know how I could get a set of these and how much they would run me.

I get most of my stuff from bladeplay/bladehq so if anybody is familiar with these sites and can give me some suggestions I would appreciate it.

Also, where can I learn some technique for throwing?

Thanks

just start throwing and try to keep your technique consistant. then just move back or forth to adjust for where your knife are striking untill you get the tips to stick. consistancy is the key I think. and and try not to whip it foward with your wrist cuz it will probally screw up your throw unless they are sticking in and in that case, for god sakes keep on whip it foward with your wrist cuz its working for you. there is no correct way, there is only your way and if it works or not for you. oh and go with a heavy enough and long enough blade, they stick easier in to wood. I like my CS Sure Balance Thrower, over 13 inchs long and over a lb in weight (18 oz!). you can just toss them lightly and they will stick nicely into damn near anything. oh and dont get a throwing knife with a sharpened edge, no need for that when throwing, you just need a sharp tip so it sticks good

Hey guys

Ever since the first time I saw way of the dragon I wanted to get into throwing knives but never really got around to it. I'm looking for some good knives right now and want to know how I could get a set of these and how much they would run me.

I get most of my stuff from bladeplay/bladehq so if anybody is familiar with these sites and can give me some suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Last edited:
Nice throwers man, I wouldnt mind getting some. I used to be into throwing knives when I was younger and for some reason lost the interest but its comming back!!!

Aloha metal99,

Same with me...did it a lot in the 80's, and now I got into it again. Instead of how I used to do it in the 80's though by just whipping them, I'm trying to learn technique because it carries over into throwing all kinds of things!;)

Take care!

I got a couple of these knives sometime last year. They really are better then I had expected. The sheath is also very nice. I got them because I was so happy with my Boker Zeils(full size and mini). Boker makes some nice throwers.:thumbup:

Aloha schoolbus,

ooh the Ziels...I gotta get some of those. I agree though, these Boker throwers are good stuffs!!! Be safe and happy throwing!

Hey guys

Thanks

Aloha SkullTalls,

What price range ya looking at?

Technique...there is technique involved, BUT I have seen guys just whip em and stick em. This is how I used to throw knives and stuff in the 80's. However, after learning technique, i have found it valuable for throwing other knives of different size, shape and weight...as well as other "things".:cool:

whats the weight on these blades?

Aloha eccvets,

Not sure, sorry. They SOME heft to them, but after 30', ya kinda gotta add some "oomph" in the throw. I don't think I NEED to, but have yet to polish up on my technique a bit...

Aloha schoolbus,

ooh the Ziels...I gotta get some of those. I agree though, these Boker throwers are good stuffs!!! Be safe and happy throwing!
Hiya Daywalker. You will definitely enjoy the Ziels. They're awesome. It's kinda funny, you see Ziel spelled all different ways but you're right it is Z-I-E-L.

Those are god looking knives man, congrats. Hope you enjoy the blacksheep sport

I love the design of the throwers but am afraid thety don't hold up to well. A friend of mine bought the set and after only a few throwing sessions the tips bent and in one case broke.

Most of the production knives will not last very long... but for simple occasional fun they will do. HAs anyone tried the Down under ones?

Hiya Daywalker. You will definitely enjoy the Ziels. They're awesome. It's kinda funny, you see Ziel spelled all different ways but you're right it is Z-I-E-L.

Aloha schoolbus,

LOL, I know...even I forget how to spell it right at times! However, I hope to experience the Ziels soon...

Happy throwing!

Also got me the set and made a test review on the Mini Bo-Kris. The core results:
- Throwing well, if you learn the grip.
- You can actually throw handle or blade from the same distance! (Same motion, secret is just in the grip.)
- Like Knifethrower721, I bent the tip on a nail.

Price-wise, I think you guys in the US can't complain, the Mini Bo-Kris cost ~21 USD a piece here in Germany!

Also got me the set and made a test review on the Mini Bo-Kris. The core results:
- Throwing well, if you learn the grip.
- You can actually throw handle or blade from the same distance! (Same motion, secret is just in the grip.)
- Like Knifethrower721, I bent the tip on a nail.

Price-wise, I think you guys in the US can't complain, the Mini Bo-Kris cost ~21 USD a piece here in Germany!

Excellent review! You've convinced me to buy a set! I'm in the process of trying different throwers to see which one I'm going to settle for when I'm ready to get 20 of them for shows and events. Perhaps this one will beat out the Hibben Pro's I've been throwing?! I'll tell you this -- were it not for John Bailey, I wouldn't be throwing right now. That, in itself, is worth the try!

Back