• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Briar Burl Slippy - SOLD

Albert Einstein always walked around with a Briar Burl pipe in his hand. Do you think a Briar Burl Slippy would work just as well?
This Briar Burl Slippy has 154CPM blade and backspring, has a 416 body and has Dellana dots instead of a nail nick. I find I far prefer the Dellana dots for both looks and opening ability. They also make it work for both lefties and righties. The Briar Burl has been stabilized and comes from a burl that sat on my work bench for at least 10 years.
The knife is 3 3/4 inches closed, 6 1/2 inches open and is flush in all three positions. It has a medium to hard pull, in other words I can open it fairly easily but my wife can't get it open.
$350 USD plus shipping
Please let me know what you think.
Thanks
Steve
briar-burl-slipp-2.jpg briar-burl-slippy-1.jpg briar-burl-slippy-3.jpg briar-burl-slippy-4.jpg

Really nice looking knife!

Edit: I’ll take it. PM sent.

Last edited:
I agree Steve...very nice looking and I like the Dellana dots...

Cheers/bg

Great looking knife. You call the three bumps Dellana dots. What is the etymology of that?

My understanding is that Dellana the knife maker either came up with them (doubtful) or made them popular on her knives. Thats what I have seen them called so I continued the name.

I quickly looked up the Dellana Dots. It looks like she used 14 K gold. Are yours gold too? And how are they applied? Are they soldered on or are they actually wire that goes thru the blade and then peened on both sides. I really like the idea. I am just finishing up a folder and I wanted to avoid the nail knick but gave up at the end and put one in. I'd like my folders to be "pinchable" and maybe these dots could provide the needed grip.
Your knife is truly beautiful. Thanks for putting it up here.

Thanks for the praise. These dots are brass. 1/16 brass rod. Each dot is about 3/16 inch long in total and is centered through a hole in the blade and then peened. I found that if I got them in place and then put a drop of crazy glue on them it held them in place for peening. I very lightly peened, just enough to form a bond. Then lightly buffed them while masking the rest of the blade. It does make a really nice pinchible.

Thanks for the praise. These dots are brass. 1/16 brass rod. Each dot is about 3/16 inch long in total and is centered through a hole in the blade and then peened. I found that if I got them in place and then put a drop of crazy glue on them it held them in place for peening. I very lightly peened, just enough to form a bond. Then lightly buffed them while masking the rest of the blade. It does make a really nice pinchible.
Steve, I looked at the Dellana write-up in David Darom's book and I took what Stacy and others offered here and went out and tried it with 14 ga copper wire. I made a little punch and die out of some scrap steel by drilling just beyond the bevel of the drill. I let the wire protrude into the recess on the die and drove the punch down lightly on the other side. Then i reversed and just kept tapping on first one side and then the other. It ended up very secure but the dot was more of a squat cylinder than a round bead.
I have a beading tool coming from Rio Grande but I think the diameter is too small. I will study it, though, and probably make my own beading tool. Finally, gold should work more easily than brass or copper. The cost for that little piece of wire should actually be pretty reasonable and it is a touch of class. I think the cost in 14K is about $5 per dot.

Back