"Bronze Age" WIP **Polished Hamon pics added**

PaulDiStefano

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Whattup whattup boys, I havent posted for a while and wont really be able to work in the shop more then 2-4 days a month for the next 3 months because of my new job so I figured I would do a long WIP thread of my next piece. I always enjoyed going through all the WIP from other makers so i figured Id give it a go. Hopefully you guys enjoy.

IMG_2148.JPG
This is the new concept drawing named "Bronze age". It will have a 12.25" cutting edge of W2 with a no clay hamon. Long sweeping S guard made from bronze that I will do some carving on resembling patterns from old greek art/painting/sculptures. Then Ill have sheep horn handle with a mortised tang construction. then another bronze carved spacer with more sheephorn after. The bronze will be rusticated after the carving is done to make it look like old and like it was dug up out of the ground. This is only a rough drawing. I still have a lo of decisions to make on overall handle shape and whether or not I want to keep a lot of the rough sheep horn texture in the middle and do some pattern carving around the ground parts or grind most of it clean and then do some cool carving on the majority of the handle.
IMG_1999.JPG
this is a picture of the first idea having some rough texture in the middle and then i'll do some carving around the ground parts. Let me know your thoughts. leave some texture and carve or grind clean and carve.

Im going to attempt to dye the sheep horn goldish to stick with the bronze theme of the whole piece.(hopefully it'll accept some dye. I have no idea but the plan is to try it)

IMG_2170.JPG
Here is the blade all forged out. havent forged in a while so im a bit rusty so the ricasso doesnt look to clean. I forged in a slight upsweep to the tip so that when I oil quench it will drop down in line for a straight back like the drawing. I also kept the tang a little wide because at this point I handt finalized the handle shape so i wanted the extra room to reshape the tang if I changed the design.

IMG_2171.JPG
this is after profiling.

IMG_2173.JPG
Heres the rough grind right before throwing it in the oven for to quench for the no clay hamon. I dont usually care to much about having the plunges and ricasso squared off and perfectly even until after heat treat.

Then in the oven it goes and it is soaked for around 8 min at temp then quenched in parks 50 oil. here are the pics after wiping the oil off after quench.
IMG_2174.JPG
IMG_2175.JPG
These two pics right here are the money shots. They show how the hamon will act. Notice how the black isn't solid and its more splotchy with dots all over. That is means there will be a ton of smoky little specs all over. If it the spine was solidly black and then near the edge was solidly grey then there would likely be no smoky dots and fun stuff going on all over. I don't know the technical terms for the hamon activity but when I do the finish grind ill show a better view of it before etching. I forgot to take pics after I ground off the decarb to reveal the hamon with 36 grit before I tempered it and completely hid it.

There was my first day of work. Hopefully I can get in the shop next week for at least a day to show more soon.

Let me know what you guys think!!!

Nice, I look forward to this.... :cool:
:) it should be a pretty fun looking knife. At least that's how I see it in my head. Hopefully I can get back in the shop and continue it for you guys asap

Gettin some more work done very very slowly.
I finish ground the knife. Sanded it to a dirty 1000 grit and did a test etch. Ill sand it up to around 2000 and etch and polish it right before the final gluing usually. Here are some quick shots with ferric still on the blade.
The hamon is all splotchy and dotty with lots of smoky detail in it. I know its not everyone's favorite type of hamon but I think it looks really cool when its as crazy and smokey as possible.
IMG_2226.PNG
IMG_2225.PNG
IMG_2227.PNG
IMG_2224.PNG
IMG_2223.PNG

I also forged out the big sweeping bronze guard. I left it really thick to leave room for error in the shaping. I have a hard time forging the really long guards to proper thickness and shape before grinding. Its such a weird shape when forging its hard to get a good grip of them when forging so i make it thicker and the general shape and then grind it thinner.

Here's a picture of the knife while fitting the guard. Guard fit up isn't all the way up yet but you get the idea
IMG_2221.JPG
IMG_2222.JPG

Slowly but surely coming along! I ground the guard and shaped it a little bit more. Its not at its exact dimensions but 90% done. once its all together ill tweak it a little for better flow.
IMG_2248.JPG
IMG_2249.JPG

I also fitted up the ferrule/collar and did the first set of mortised ram horn handles. There will be another piece of bronze i have to fit behind these after i trim them a bit and then I can fit up the bottom half of the rams horn.
IMG_2262.JPG
IMG_2263.JPG
IMG_2264.JPG

coming along great !

Man this thing is looking beautiful

Thanks guys!!!

I finally got the Rams horn scales all fit up. It was a real pain playing around with them carving out the inside, drilling and making sure there was no gap where light could be seen between the the scales and bronze pieces but its finally done. Just gotta start shaping them next

here's what the blade looks like currently before handle shaping. Im going to try to keep the rough texture down the middle and polish up the top and bottom like in the knife picture I posted up above.

IMG_2269.JPG
IMG_2270.JPG

Back