bronze and blue (damascus) - how?

Hi!
I've seen Sebenzas with both bronze and blued damascus blades. How are those colors formed? What is the process? (Don't mean the damascus or the damascus patterns...
smile.gif
)
I'm sure the same thing is used by other manufacturers also, but I'm interested in Chris Reeve Knives... and I think there might also be many Sebenzanistas who might know something about this.

Hugo.

These colors are achieved by an old fashioned blueing/browning process. This creates a very delicate finish that is for decoration purposes only. It is important to note that this type of surface finish does not react well when used to cut items with an acid content such as apples, oranges, fingers, etc!
Thanks,
Mark

Fingers!
eek.gif
That's one thing I'm trying to avoid doing!
wink.gif

Mark, thanks again for the answer. I don't really know what the 'old fashioned blueing/browning process' is. Can anybody shortly describe it?
So you're saying that the blue/bronze is ok for other use except items with acid content?
How durable is it otherways... how well does it endure scratching for instance (cutting abrassive/dirty cardboard)? I'm thinking about getting one of these, but I only tend to buy knives that I can use. I doesn't have to be the best, but I would not like to see the finnish ruined just by opening some mail.
Can you also tell me what kind of Devin Thomas' Damascus you are using?

Hugo.

Hugo,
I was told that it is Devin's high contrast 1095/nickel damascus which means it will require some maintenance. When I placed my order (9/99) I was told that it was available in ladder, raindrop or spirograph patterns. I have since seen it in pinstripe so other options may have been added since.

------------------
It's only a mistake if you fail to learn from it!

Thanks for the info Blademan 13. I've seen Sebenzas with all of those patterns. Oh, and the maintenance - that's just a bonus!
biggrin.gif

Hugo.

Back