Buck 119

I'm a Buck 119 lover and I own two. Still I was surprised to see a man wearing a golf shirt, nice blue jeans, casually dressy leather shoes and a Buck 119 in a sheath- talking on a cell phone in the parking lot at Menards. If he is in the construction trades he is dressed to supervise, not hang sheathing or spread concrete. And a 119 hanging on the belt seems like more knife than a construction worker needs. He wasn't going big game hunting in those shoes, nor in August in Ohio. He wasn't about to cut up a rack of ribs or a turkey (two things I have done with my 119's). So does anyone have a good explanation? I'm not a student of fashion trends, but I'd be surprised to find out that he was dressed in style. He was maybe in his late 20's. So not an eccentric geezer. I'm an eccentric geezer myself, but this was farther than I will go! I have worn a 110 into Menards, but always in proper work clothes, never when dressed "business casual." What say you experts?

Was he within the laws of your state?

Oh yeah. Ohio is pretty cool, as long as he was carrying it as a tool he is good. He cannot carry it as a weapon, not even for self defense, concealed or open, even if he's licensed to carry a pistol. As long as he says, "Officer I'm carrying this as a tool." he is OK. They won't let him in baseball games though. And if they find him leaning over a body with the knife dripping blood they would likely claim in court that he was not carrying it as a tool.

Actually, I find your critical analysis somewhat offensive. But now I see the law is behind you. Ohio is not cool. Here in Oklahoma I can carry my 119 and sometimes I do. Not as a tool...

Actually, I find your critical analysis somewhat offensive. But now I see the law is behind you. Ohio is not cool. Here in Oklahoma I can carry my 119 and sometimes I do. Not as a tool...

I wasn't upset with him, just wondering why he needed a 119 when he was dressed for activities that I don't associate with 119's. I'm totally OK with him carrying it, or carrying a Zulu spear for that matter. But I thought the outfit and the knife seemed an odd combo.

And Ohio would be cooler if they let us carry knives for self defense, but I'm happy that they let us carry them, and don't generally try to make them criminal before the fact. I'm happy that they let us carry pistols. It does seem odd that we can carry pistols but not knives for self defense. But many states are far worse.

I think it sounds reasonable, maybe he has things to cut often. Maybe he likes tearing through limes for his beverages. The buck 119 is a bit big for an EDC but not heinous. What Charlie Mike carries around, those things are impressive.

Because this thread needed a picture.
JTKqzOGm.jpg

Ok then, Pondoro, I retract my remarks concerning your critical remarks.

I do not carry a pistol. I am afraid I would shoot someone who entirely needed shooting. My 119 makes me feel better, though. Maybe some day I shall cut something with it.

I don't see the problem. I carry a 112 about everyday. I've got a nice sheath for when I'm dressed nice and use an old beat up leather sheath the rest of the time. If I wanted to carry a fixed blade I would. And no one from my area would care. Hell I sometimes open carry a S&W 686 and no one cares. Not sure why you feel the need to judge someone who was obviously minding their own business.

Back