1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Budget, Middle of the Road, or High-End Custom, Which Is Your Choice for EDC?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by GatorFlash1, May 1, 2019.

What price knife do you EDC?

Poll closed May 8, 2019.
  1. Budget

11.1%
  2. Middle of the Road

75.4%
  3. High End/Custom

13.5%
  1. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
    From reading the posts for many years it is obvious that some folks are looking for $25 knives, other for $725 knives, and some like me are in the middle of the pack with my Gayle Bradley 1 EDC for about $150. So I'm an independent middle of the road knife owner.

I'm curious to know what price level most of the majority of BF folks' EDC carry price range is. What do favor, Low, Medium, or High?

2. Bob6794

Bob6794

Apr 21, 2013
    No matter how many times I try I keep going back to a Kabar Dozier. So count me as budget.

3. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    $150 is a lot closer to budget than middle, based on the numbers you listed... even more so when we allow that $725 isn't really high end. (I've seen a number of $2k-3k+ listed recently.) That isn't to say own anything that expensive; I'm just acknowledging the reality.
    I'll still put myself in the middle category... at say 150-400, for modern folders and fixed blades.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  4. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    Fairly middle of the road I'd say.
    I'm gonna be buying a Hinderer soon, and that is probably touching on the higher end part of the spectrum.

5. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    I rather buy a few quality knives than have any amount of budget knives. With that said, Some budget knives are decent and worth having around just in case.

Overall Heat treatment matters, geometry matters, being a quality tool matters.

6. jceckrosh

jceckrosh Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Mar 2, 2016
    Currently carrying an Umnumzaan daily, so middle of the road.

7. taste.blade

taste.blade Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2016
    My favorite one-two punch is a socom elite and olamic 247. A few years ago I would consider those high end knives and baby them, but I use them like I would any knife, maybe push the socom harder than any folder I've owned before and it takes the punishment with a smile.

8. SharpPancake

SharpPancake

Dec 30, 2018
    For the last 6 months I carry PM2, so it is middle of the road.
    But it also has a lot to do with the one´s perspective. For @jceckrosh is middle of the road Umnumzaan, which is for me deffinitely a high end knife.

Sonnydaze likes this.
  9. Banter 247

Banter 247

Feb 22, 2019
    My current range for frequently carried and used is $150-$375. I have a custom EZC coming soon, so the top end of the range will go up. Still, the least expensive knife that I frequently carry is my favorite knife of all time (may change with EZC), and it’s the only knife I’ve bought two of (probably a third soon) — the Keen.

10. GermanyChris

GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
  11. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    $25 SAK. :)

Earl1 and willc like this.
  12. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    Budget, except for special occasions like weddings, nice dinner out, etc. I find that, for most of my day to day uses (minimal), there's no need for me to be concerned about losing a really nice knife; it does happen. :eek:

13. reppans

reppans

Oct 25, 2018
    I voted middle but 2 out of the 3 knives I EDC are budget (SAK Farmer and CRKT Minimalist Bowie) - wish I could find those two in a higher grade steel that will hold edge longer.

14. Jocephus1

Jocephus1

May 30, 2007
    I'm normally a middle of the road guy, but I carry based upon what I'm doing/expected to do. I don't have a museum collection...I use mine although I really appreciate some amazing collections on here.

I have no problem carrying a $20 knife one day and carrying a $400 one the next. I will say though, that when I reach up into the price-level of knife where I cringe or avoid using the knife to prevent damage, I'll usually sell it or move on.

willc and sgt1372 like this.
  15. jceckrosh

jceckrosh Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Mar 2, 2016
    I used middle of the road since I personally have more expensive knives and some less expensive, but also as an overall perspective on how high the ceiling goes. For many of us, I realize a $450 knife would be on the high side.

16. FullMetalJackass

FullMetalJackass Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Depends on my planning of the day.
    Mostly a rotation between a SAK, the Spyide Shaman, a Seb or a custom fixed blade.
    So anywhere between $25 to stupid

Rykjeklut likes this.
  17. Getahl

Getahl

Dec 22, 2007
    I think many people are going to have different interpretations of those three categories. For me l, budget is 50 and below, mid-range is probably from there to around 150, and high end is anything over 200. I don't own anything high end, and have only owned maybe half a dozen over $100, in the 12 years I've been collecting. That said, I fall in the budget range, but look at blade geometry, blade and handle size, pocketability, round corner, smooth lines, and maybe HRC as influencing factors. I am less a steel snob these days than I was a decade ago. My main carries are SAKs, small traditionals, occasionally a pocket carried neck knife.

Sonnydaze, DB_Cruiser and Pomsbz like this.
  18. golden_dragon

golden_dragon Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2016
    budget is good enough, I am carrying a Rat I D2. Compare to others in the same line, it's lighter and edge durability is longer.

19. Scott K.

Scott K. Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 9, 2019
    Hello,

For me the 3 that get rotated are my para 3, Large Sebenza, and a custom McNees Dixon. So I would say I have an “upper middle class” carry.

lintonindy likes this.
  20. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp That's right, it's genuine Velveeta... Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is high-middle a thing? I like them to feel a bit special, but not be so absurdly priced that I refrain from actually using them.