BUNDOK BOWIE, an Introduction.....

Ethan Becker

I am very pleased that the New BK20 BUNDOK BOWIE is ready to ship....

The US Marine Corps derived the term "boonies" or "boondocks",during their service in the Phillipines, from the native Tagalog language.... Bundok meant mountain but, it also implied wild and remote..... The Marines even nicknamed the field shoe used during WWII and Korea Boondockers.....

I always like to share the influences that "inform" my designs and this blade has many......

I started carrying big Solingen Bowies in the woods during my early teens and I had the biggest baddest Buck as well...... At age 14 I did not "get" the convex grinds on the Solingens and the Buck General never hefted well for me.... I pretty much gave up on them and fell in lust with Kukris.....

Along the way and, in no particular order, I read an article on modding the Western V44 pattern into an inexpensive "soldiers knife"........ He straightened the clip, removed the top guard and most of the bottom, reprofiled the handle a bit and slimmed it down and the result was pretty damned cool..... I handled and used V44s from Case, Camillus and a Collins or two and I liked the heft and balance.....then I got a British Paratrooper knife... It is an abomination before the altar of the cutlery gods..... The steel would bring shame on an early Iron Age smelter powered by a campfire and fit and finish are abysmal but, I found it conceptually interesting..... The Collins Cutlery had their Type 18 adopted for use by their aviators as the V44 in Panama and Hawaii and eventually system wide...In 1942 the 2nd Marine Raider Battallion bought a thousand Collins Type 2 knives and made them famous on Makin Island, Tulagi, Guadalcanal and Bougainville and other scenic stops on their way to Tokyo Bay..... The Raiders called them the Gung-Ho knife. Other threads that I wove into the blade were what I gleaned from Jerry Fisk, Jim Crwell and many others, and an observation by the head of the US Jungle Operations Training Center in the Canal Zone that a twelve inch machete was rhe perfect survival tool.....

So the blade turned out to be eleven inches long, of 1095CV, .25 inches thick, full height ground with a beveled spine..... The edge profile makes it slicy and the beveled spine gives a nice clean exit..... It has proven to chop well and it does machete with aplomb..... If you choke up on the grip it does the little stuff and with a lanyard up on the forearm it is possible to do point work and skinning in an emergency.....

It is a versatile, dependable blade when you traverse the boonies...

Ethan

There is a quote in M.H. Cole's most excellent book "U.S. Military Knives" from a 2nd Battalion Raider, Lwell Bulger:
"The(Gung-Ho)knife was absolutely the greatest single weapon and tool we possessed"

Last edited:
I actually already got my order in with Tara LOL! I meant to get transferred over to John but forgot and ended up just blissfully enjoying the money well spent. I've been waiting for this to come out since I played with it at your place last year.

I am very pleased that the New BK20 BUNDOK BOWIE is ready to ship....

The US Marine Corps derived the term "boonies" or "boondocks",during their service in the Phillipines, from the native Tagalog language.... Bundok meant mountain but, it also implied wild and remote..... The Marines even nicknamed the field shoe used during WWII and Korea Boondockers.....

I always like to share the influences that "inform" my designs and this blade has many......

I started carrying big Solingen Bowies in the woods during my early teens and I had the biggest baddest Buck as well...... At age 14 I did not "get" the convex grinds on the Solingens and the Buck General never hefted well for me.... I pretty much gave up on them and fell in lust with Kukris.....

Along the way and, in no particular order, I read an article on modding the Western V44 pattern into an inexpensive "soldiers knife"........ He straightened the clip, removed the top guard and most of the bottom, reprofiled the handle a bit and slimmed it down and the result was pretty damned cool..... I handled and used V44s from Case, Camillus and a Collins or two and I liked the heft and balance.....then I got a British Paratrooper knife... It is an abomination before the altar of the cutlery gods..... The steel would bring shame on an early Iron Age smelter powered by a campfire and fit and finish are abysmal but, I found it conceptually interesting..... The Collins Cutlery had their Type 18 adopted for use by their aviators in Panama and Hawaii and eventually

Looks like the end of your paragraph might have gotten chopped off there boss. The Bundok must indeed be powerful if it is already chopping sentences on the internet!

Sure would have liked it better without that swedge Uncle E.... still, its a good looking blade. Took all of 2 hours to break thru my willpower and find it's way into my wallet LOL....

Victory is mine!
I tried...I really did.
Funny thing is, my wife of all people was a complete enabler. I shan't regret it! I only hope it arrives early next week! Don't want a that on my doorstep over the weekend lol

Thanks for the background Ethan! I look forward to the rest of the story hah

Will this become regular production? It is a seriously nice blade! :thumbup:

Very interesting. Got my order in. :thumbup:

Ethan, I cannot wait to get mine. I was real happy to find the Bundok available and ready to ship. It was an easy decision to rob some out of my Bladeshow fund to get one on the way. It is such a slick blade. Like CBear, I've been patiently waiting for it to drop since I had the opportunity to play with one up in the ridge. I'm excited to get one if my own. Now I need just a little more patience in waiting for it to arrive.

I added one first thing this morning after receiving the email. Thank you Mr. Becker for another great blade. Thank you to Kristi at KA-BAR for helping me this morning - I cannot say enough about how great the people at KA-BAR with customer service.

Hello Mr Becker. Thanks for another great blade. I am wondering why is Kabar is not willing to ship to Canada. I have almost the entire Becker line but since I live North of the border I am going to be excluded from this limited offering. I feel very disappointed to say the least

Thanks again Mr Becker
What a cowingydink as I see this Big Bad Becker go live for order as I am setting up a package for the Gathering, had to order this Big Bad Becker First then back to the package
VICTORY! Your order is now complete. Doesn't that feel good?

Your Order #: 11298--

So Package a little lighter than originally planned but Hope you and the Fellow Beckerheads Enjoy and Thanks again for feeding us all the Great Steel

You are perceptive David.... Got the cut off chunk and used electronic tape to patch it up...LOl......

Hey Hawgsnawt..... It is beveled to make the exit cleaner and yes it will chew up a club more than if it was a full .25 thick...
Trade-offs, always trade-offs..... If it chews up your batons too badly, I will send you a few..... It chops, cuts, slices and dices .... I think you will like... E

Wildnewfie.... Short aNswer---- I do not have the foggiest..... I do know that Czech soldier had his knife replaced there was much gnashing of teeth over how to get it to him..... E

Thank you Mr Becker for your response. I will be calling Kabar tomorrow to see if they can do anything but if history has anything to teach me then Kabar will do nothing as they would not ship me an item that was in the clearance section a few months ago. I would like to be optimistic that I will get one of the bk 20's but I figure it just isn't in the cards and well that's just a little sad to be honest

Hi Mr. Becker, thanks for giving us some info on this knife. Looks like it will be another great one of your designs. So, why is this only being made in such limited numbers and why isnt it available by itself? If it sells well is there any chance it will become one of the regular runs? Thanks again and keep up the great work:thumbup:

Thank you Mr Becker for your response. I will be calling Kabar tomorrow to see if they can do anything but if history has anything to teach me then Kabar will do nothing as they would not ship me an item that was in the clearance section a few months ago. I would like to be optimistic that I will get one of the bk 20's but I figure it just isn't in the cards and well that's just a little sad to be honest

I too wish that Kabar would consider shipping to Canada. I understand why they wont ship to other international destinations but, we are right across the border and there are no issues with customs for us ordering or shipping knives to/from the US. We are your neibours and would sure like to be included so we can get in on items like these. Please consider it Kabar, us Canadians would really appreciate it:thumbup:

** wonders how many other people on the forum have an actual honest to god Ethan Becker Baton.... considers calling the bluff briefly as it WOULD compliment the ever growing Becker collection..... then decided Uncle E was more than likely just being facetious...... thought about it again.... giggled awhile, then decided against it. **

Smart move on KaBar to add the 4 and 5 in there . If I didn't have EM already I would be thrilled . Oh well had to grab the 20 ! YEA !

Hey Hawgsnawt....

Send me an address if it does turn out to be a prblem...... I will pick out a nice chunk for ya.... E

Back