Photos Busted Sebenza 25 :(.

The night before I go on vacation and I’m seriously bummed. My Sebenza 25, a gift from a friend here on BF, my favorite one, the one I EDC regularly. Been in my pocket since I received it and now it’s broke :( I hold little hope of making like new and essentially since it’s discontinued only harder to replace and near impossible to find.

LW, what do I do? Looking at it under strong light it looks like it had a hairline crack or stress fracture. You can see the discoloration and it felt wet in the fresh break even though it was near no water when it fell.

Now as to what happened? I was making a half a sandwich and set the knife on the kitchen counter(Formica). It slipped off the counter and landed sideways on a linoleum floor. It never hit anything on the way down. This knife has never been wrist flipped, flicked or had any lateral stress applied. It literally fell a little over 3’ on its side and I heard tink... my heart dropped as I saw the upper 70% of my 25 go sliding across the kitchen floor.

Help me LW, what do I do, they don’t make them anymore. Can they just teplace the blade? Would they replace it and then charge me for a new blade if one is available.

Or would they replace the knife because that configuration no longer exists. Maybe a large 21 with an inkosi blade or insingo.

Imgur’s giving me a hard time, I’ll post pics later.

The night before I go on vacation and I’m seriously bummed. My Sebenza 25, a gift from a friend here on BF, my favorite one, the one I EDC regularly. Been in my pocket since I received it and now it’s broke :( I hold little hope of making like new and essentially since it’s discontinued only harder to replace and near impossible to find.

LW, what do I do? Looking at it under strong light it looks like it had a hairline crack or stress fracture. You can see the discoloration and it felt wet in the fresh break even though it was near no water when it fell.

Now as to what happened? I was making a half a sandwich and set the knife on the kitchen counter(Formica). It slipped off the counter and landed sideways on a linoleum floor. It never hit anything on the way down. This knife has never been wrist flipped, flicked or had any lateral stress applied. It literally fell a little over 3’ on its side and I heard tink... my heart dropped as I saw the upper 70% of my 25 go sliding across the kitchen floor.

Help me LW, what do I do, they don’t make them anymore. Can they just teplace the blade? Would they replace it and then charge me for a new blade if one is available.

Or would they replace the knife because that configuration no longer exists. Maybe a large 21 with an inkosi blade or insingo.

Imgur’s giving me a hard time, I’ll post pics later.

Should be covered, but if not, throw me a PM..I can help you out.

I am not sure what actually broke from your description, Is it just the blade? Just send it back. Odds are they will fix 'er like new.

If it is the blade that broke, I read that they keep stock of the old blade stock for just this situation, but that was just something I heard on the board, and so is hearsay.

Should be covered, but if not, throw me a PM..I can help you out.

Thanks, I took the first step and sent these email. I’m leaving for vacation tomorrow mornin’ so I’ll call CS on Tuesday after the holiday. It was strange how it went to land snapped.

I’ll pm you when I get home, thanks again.

I am not sure what actually broke from your description, Is it just the blade? Just send it back. Odds are they will fix 'er like new.

If it is the blade that broke, I read that they keep stock of the old blade stock for just this situation, but that was just something I heard on the board, and so is hearsay.

The blade broke right at the thumbstud and snapped before the tang almost right under the stud.

Where is the hair line crack. If it is at the stud, I have seen people use them for many years without any further development.
You answered as I wrote.
I would contact CRK as to the availability of the blade. If it isn't easily exchange, just keep using it.

I’m gonna do whatever’s required it’s just I’m flyin’ to South Carolina in the morning so I can’t do anything till after the holiday. Just sucks that it happened, good thing is I have a large 21 with Gabon Ebony inlays to fill the pocket till it returns.

I only ever sent one knife in for repair and that was a discontinued model to Spyderco.

Wow. A S35VN blade can snap like that, on a linoleum floor.......
I should check my thumbstud knives for cracks.
Hope you get it repaired soon.

Anyone else having trouble with Imgur?

Here’s 2 pics.

FNYJueph.jpg

QX1BtVgh.jpg

I’ve been a machinist for 40 years and to me it looked like the hole for the thumbstud was teamed too much undersized so when the stud got pressed in it created hairline fractures around the stud. It was wet and looked to be oxidized where it snapped. You can see the color and texture were different at the snap. Looked like it was cracked for a while.

OK-a bit more than I thought you were saying:). Tips and at the stud are the weak points. Most broken blades(multiple manufacturers) look just like that. Usually diagnosed as a heat treat problem. Don't know much about the 25, but hopefully they have some blades for warranty work.
Bummer
Good luck
believe we had a thread on hairline cracks at the stud awhile back. I have had 2 knives(a Hinderer and a Strider) I would swear were sent out fine, but landed with hairline cracks.
https://www.bladeforums.com/posts/17672755/

Last edited:
Ted, that’s heartbreaking to see. Looks like the fall revealed a stress crack that was not noticed before. It has happened before, should be covered under the warranty. I do believe they have replacement blades, so that shouldn’t be a issue. You’ll have to send it in. If you don’t want the pinned stop pin replaced, you have to specify on the form that you only want the blade replaced.
Go to the CRK website, there is a form to print out that you can write in detail what services you want. They have replaced the stop pins in the past on the 25’s that are pinned.

Ted, that’s heartbreaking to see. Looks like the fall revealed a stress crack that was not noticed before. It has happened before, should be covered under the warranty. I do believe they have replacement blades, so that shouldn’t be a issue. You’ll have to send it in. If you don’t want the pinned stop pin replaced, you have to specify on the form that you only want the blade replaced.
Go to the CRK website, there is a form to print out that you can write in detail what services you want. They have replaced the stop pins in the past on the 25’s that are pinned.

Hust out of curiosity why would one not want their stop pin replaced?

Hust out of curiosity why would one not want their stop pin replaced?

The first batch that went to dealers had the pinned stop pin. They made some after that, then changed to the removable stop pin. I like the pinned better because the flat part on the spacer stays in position a lot better than the removable stop pins. I’ve had issues with the flat part moving out of place before on other 25’s.
And, because you can tell the early models from the other 25’s

So if I drop my knife and it breaks, it is covered by warranty?

I think within reason. This knife only fell 3 feet to a linoleum floor and probably if hadn’t landed flat creating a lot of lateral shear stress it woulda been fine as all I used it for was was cutting, not prying or anything similarly abusive. I’d like to think they’re supposed survive a 3 foot fall better than an IPhone X.

Back