Butterfly/Balisong Used In Filippino Martial Arts?

I was just wondering how much the balisong/butterfly knife
actually plays a roll in the Filipino Martial Arts as I so often
hear.

I did Escrima for a couple of years which I think is Filipino but
never heard anything about the balisong.

Yes, escrima is one of the names the Filipino martial arts go by. Also, eskrima, arnis and kali amongst others.

The balisong is but one weapon in the FMA continuum. Since they're illegal in most places in the USA there isn't too much emphasis on teaching it IME. Jeff Imada put out a good book "The Balisong Manual." You might want to check it out.

It probably depends a lot on the individual instructor.

As was said, balisongs are illegal in many places and IIRC illegal to import, so not many people have them these days.

It is probably different in the Philippines, last time I was in Manila, for example, Balisongs were sold all over the place, in malls and street corners, so they are very common.

I bought a book while I was there, titled "Presas Style and Balisong," which is the best FMA book I've seen.

IMO for practical purposes a modern tactical folder is better than a balisong, though the balisong's lock is superior.

Two other books out there on the topic of fighting with the balisong specifically are Balisong: The Lethal Art of Filipino Knife Fighting and Balisong: Iron Butterfly. Imada also did an Advanced Balisong Manual as a follow-up to his first book, though if I remember correctly these books are primarily about many, many different manipulation techniques rather than fighting. (I honestly don't remember if there's a fighting section in either one.) I know Mike Janich did a video on fighting with the balisong, but not a book, since his knife fighting book applies to all knives generally.

I don't believe the balisong as such is emphasized in most FMA because the assumption is that you're learning empty-hand and blade skills generally. Whatever blade you'll have is whatever blade you'll have, therefore; there's nothing about using a balisong for self-defense that is specific to the knife except perhaps for some of the more esoteric fist-load techniques (pinching the opponent's flesh between the handles and silliness like that).

Back