Bye bye wood?

einsteinjon

Platinum Member
Got an email from KSF this morning that CRK is discontinuing some of the wood inlays they use in their Sebenzas. Anyone hear of this anywhere else?

woods come and woods go, I imagine they will just be adding something new or different.

Funny you mention it! I called CRK on Tuesday and was told the same thing. They're still deciding what to discontinue, but it sounded like cocobolo is on their hit list.

I hope they bring back California Buckeye, ironwood, or Mesquite.... :)

Good points. I was thinking they'd just be scaling back, but hopefully you're right that they'll just be adding different options.

A lot of woods are currently being re-classified in North America as hazardous substances in terms of worker exposure. Turns out the rate of sinus and lung cancers in people turning and sanding some exotic, and not-so-exotic, wood species is many times higher than background stats. This may be a factor at CRK, or may not, but I know changes are currently happening in many industries, including cabinet making, custom millwork, etc on what you are allowed to expose people to.

In the words of one cabinet maker I was doing a job for "exotic hardwoods are the next Asbestos".

Here is some info in relation to workplace irritation (cocobolo does not rate well): http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/

And this lists the ones linked to nasal cancer, including oak (!)......scroll down to second chart: bhttp://www.islandwoodturners.ca/documents/wooddust_toxicity.html

This may all be irrelevant info......just looking out for my bladeforums buds......knowledge is key.

A lot of woods are currently being re-classified in North America as hazardous substances in terms of worker exposure. Turns out the rate of sinus and lung cancers in people turning and sanding some exotic, and not-so-exotic, wood species is many times higher than background stats. This may be a factor at CRK, or may not, but I know changes are currently happening in many industries, including cabinet making, custom millwork, etc on what you are allowed to expose people to.

In the words of one cabinet maker I was doing a job for "exotic hardwoods are the next Asbestos".

Here is some info in relation to workplace irritation (cocobolo does not rate well): http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/

And this lists the ones linked to nasal cancer, including oak (!)......scroll down to second chart: bhttp://www.islandwoodturners.ca/documents/wooddust_toxicity.html

This may all be irrelevant info......just looking out for my bladeforums buds......knowledge is key.

As always Cody, you are a wealth of knowledge.. Thanks for sharing this... :D

There have been several woods discontinued in the past. This is nothing new. Their wood selection now is pretty limited. Cocobolo and Bocote are pretty abundant, so hopefully they keep that at least. Bocote has always been my favorite.

Over the years I have seen walnut, leather, Tamboti, camel Thorne, Madagascar rosewood, masassacre Ebony and many others go the way of the doo doo bird. Enjoy them while they are here and get the ones you really like is my only advise.

Even.... Sniff Mammoth is gone now .....!!!!

There have been several woods discontinued in the past. This is nothing new. Their wood selection now is pretty limited. Cocobolo and Bocote are pretty abundant, so hopefully they keep that at least. Bocote has always been my favorite.

Over the years I have seen walnut, leather, Tamboti, camel Thorne, Madagascar rosewood, masassacre Ebony and many others go the way of the doo doo bird. Enjoy them while they are here and get the ones you really like is my only advise.

Even.... Sniff Mammoth is gone now .....!!!!

I really want a Walnut & Rosewood Mnandi... It's really sad to see all these beautiful wood being discontinued...

I really want a Walnut & Rosewood Mnandi... It's really sad to see all these beautiful wood being discontinued...

I had a Walnut Burl and a Jigged Madagascar Rosewood Mnandi. Sold/Traded them off to get other CRK.

It's the mammoth bark I will truly miss. I got so much enjoyment from looking at the different photo's. I guess there is still the mammoth thread.
I sure regret selling my small mammoth bark.

I don't have any but I hope box elder stays. I've been wanting a CRK with box elder and Damascus for a while now, but don't have the funds at the moment.

I hope they bring in something new to replace the ones leaving! Out of the discontinued woods I most miss ironwood:(

I just want a Sebenza with Brown Micarta.....is that too much to ask? They have it in stores for the Nyalas.....

I hope they bring in something new to replace the ones leaving! Out of the discontinued woods I most miss ironwood:(

They do rotate wood types out every few years, that's probably all this is. Curious what they'll bring in this time.

This mail left me puzzled. I wonder what good this information is? I mean what sort of wodden inlay Sebenza do they want me to buy right now?

The Email did imply reduction of wood inlays., but no offence intended, the owner is a salesman. The mail goes on to say you should buy your wood inlays now.
Here it is for those that may not have seen it
"We received notice from Chris Reeve that they are cutting back on the variety of beautiful wood they will be using on their Sebenzas. We don't know what ones they are cutting out and which ones they are continuing.

One thing is certain. A lot of the beautiful woods I love are going away. "

I understand the intention of the salesman.
He's got a pretty nice selection.
This still leaves me speculating what will stay. :)

This still leaves me speculating what will stay. :)

I would like to know what will stay(there is one I would like to pick up if it is going to disappear) as well as if there will be additions.
A little more clarity to the situation is needed

Last edited:
Back