Carbon Black over time?

After looking at all the other finishes, they all seem to get a worn out look over time. Does the black also look like this or does it not lighten and scratch. If anyone could post pictures I'd really appreciate it! Thanks

I've has mine since February and the color hasn't faded and it still looks like the day I got it, hopefully with more time it will get some character...

I don't think black is great for turning age into those great patterns some leather products get. For my money the darker browns like chestnut or mahogany are the best at turning life's nicks and bumps into a good looking piece of leather. My SLC phone sleeve is black but I don't expect it to be my phone sleeve for decades, I just like the clean look of black with my phone and that particular object. I think the black will look pretty much like it does now, maybe a bit of gray in some patches, several years down the line. I've got a mahogany Custom Hide briefcase that has aged into some great looking leather, and a black satchel from a small craftsman in my town that looks pretty much the same, though it has a bit of a road weary look about it that I think is nice. Bottom line, the black will look good but i wouldn't expect too much character soon.

Mine with two straight years of daily use.

632D8CAB_zps5c2f3678.jpg

Last edited:
Just got myself a big bifold in black. I think the leather is treated differently than the other finishing. I weighed my carbon black and another one in tobacco. Can confirm that the tobacco weighs about 20 grams less than the black

I've had my black thin briefcase for 3 years this month. It shows few signs of wear except on its "feet" -- where it comes into contact with the floor or whatever surface it is resting on -- it has greyed somewhat.

I really like this slow grey, have mine for 4 months and some parts started showing it...

It like true white hairs...

I've got a black SBL Moleskine cover and had it a couple months now. I use it every day since I got it. The edges are fraying a little and that's where I some lightening of color but not a whole lot. There is a few small scratches and scuff marks but overall not much changes in darkness. What I do know is that the dark coffee brown is my favorite color from Saddleback Leather from the couple purchases I've made since buying the notebook cover. Maybe I'll just pass on my black cover to my daughter and get me the dark coffee brown version ;-).

Back