Carothers? What's the big deal?

Their attention to detail is second to none. From how they take and handle pre-orders to customer service, Carothers is the gold standard on how a small knife company should conduct themselves.

The knives use top shelf steels with an outstanding heat treat. The models that I own are well balanced. They cut effectively yet have a geometry that can stand up to abuse. Buy with confidence!

Thank you Sir..

Thus far, in my adventures, LT Wright, Bark River, Battle Horse have been my "Gold Standard" I want to dive into a Carothers, but don't like spending over $300 for a knife at this point in the hobby. Any recommendations on the best product per capita model to start?

I will second the customer service. With the attention to detail, I doubt there are many returns. But any order I've made with them has been handled timely and professionally. Comfortable handles, with great steel and heat treat. And not mentioned much, the sheaths provided with them are also very well done. My first Carothers was an original EDC. Since the first one I've been hooked on their knives in various sizes.

I see Carothers fixed blades go QUICK on the sale posts. What makes these knives so sought after?
All the information is in the various sales threads and opinions of them by users are all over the place.
Their attention to detail is second to none. From how they take and handle pre-orders to customer service, Carothers is the gold standard on how a small knife company should conduct themselves.

The knives use top shelf steels with an outstanding heat treat. The models that I own are well balanced. They cut effectively yet have a geometry that can stand up to abuse. Buy with confidence!
This. Imo they are the best thing going right now, especially for those who actually use their knives.

593BE796-62C8-44FC-ADAE-E7CD58B067A0.jpeg 3ABDC9F4-36F8-4473-8AF5-31B5960DA83C.jpeg
These are two my favorite knives by Carothers. The HDFK (bottom pic) is one I’d never part with. It’s a true one tool option. Their sub forum here is filled with helpful people who will be much more knowledgeable about Carothers knives than I am.

Thank you Sir..

Thus far, in my adventures, LT Wright, Bark River, Battle Horse have been my "Gold Standard" I want to dive into a Carothers, but don't like spending over $300 for a knife at this point in the hobby. Any recommendations on the best product per capita model to start?
At close to that price point, I’d start with an FK2 (2nd from right). It’s a great size camp knife but won’t get you far if you’re wanting a chopper.
8il1.jpg

(Medium Chopper, HDFK, FK2, EDC)

They are fantastic knives for use and in hand, and the delta heat treat on the 3V is the best in the business bar none. You will not find another 3V that compares in my opinion. It is some absolutely brutal stuff, and SHARP! Can’t wait to get another CPK someday!

CPK is pretty much my favorite knife maker for all of the reasons stated above.

That said, as far as bang for the buck,
I think you’ve found a winner in LT Wright. Great knives.

Knives are a slippery slope...run away FAST...while there’s hope!:eek::)

Thanks for all the responses. I have learned to things with this post.
1. This community is incredible. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences.
2. My wife is going to divorce me, after I start down this Carothers rabbit hole. (LOL)

Really great comradery everyone. Thank you

Thanks for all the responses. I have learned to things with this post.
1. This community is incredible. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences.
2. My wife is going to divorce me, after I start down this Carothers rabbit hole. (LOL)

Really great comradery everyone. Thank you
Remember there is a saving grace, he has a couple of kitchen knives that he has been known to make that are just as good as his hunting blades. That should keep her off your back.

In production knife companies Busse kin (Busse, Swamp Rat and Scrap Yard family of companies) are arguably closest to what Carothers is in the custom world. I.e. they make extremely tough knives with a top quality heat treat.

You couldn't go wrong with a Swamp Rat Ratmandu, at a bit over half the $300 price you mention. SR101 (mod 52100) with the Busse family heat treat. So basically a slightly less tough version of Carother's Delta 3V but similar edge holding.

For something directly comparable to Carothers get any Busse kin in INFI steel, which is approximately as tough or a little bit tougher, but with slightly less edge holding, than delta 3V.

Ratmandu__15830.1550080805.1280.1280.jpg

^^^^^^ - Gorgeous

Thank you for informative comparison

So the Swamp steel you mention is similar characteristic of Cru wear?

Back