Carried The Right EDC Yesterday - Kershaw Leek

Chose to carry my Kershaw Leek yesterday, I switch between the Leek and a ZT 0350 and 0566, all assisted, but each has a different purpose and utility, so I switch between them depending on what I'm doing that day.

Yesterday I was doing a training in a new kitchen at one of Stanford Medical's new hospitals in Redwood City, CA, Stanford uses Montague ranges and ovens throughout their entire system, at the University and the hospitals, and I'm the Montague sales rep here in Northern California.

So I'm buzzing through my training teaching everyone how to operate and clean their new equipment when I get to a range with a convection oven base that's not plugged into the electrical outlet. Before I get a chance to do it myself the Executive Chef for Stanford Medical jumps behind the range to plug it in, but the cord is attached to the back of the range with a zip-tie.

Chef whips out his Kershaw Leek and cuts the the zip-tie, as soon as I see Chef's Leek I say, "Leek" and pull out my Leek to show the Chef, and that's when the fun began! Chef and I hit it off like old friends, we talked about the Leek (US made, great size for EDC, assisted opening, part serrated) while all his staff is watching...Really a great moment and aided in building a relationship with a good customer.

Someday's it all works great from beginning to end...

KR

Here's my Leek,
xXYcGYW.jpg

Nice Leek! I have the standard, SS Leek, with plain blade. Used it while working at Auto Zone while in school, so it got the tip broken off and stained with battery acid, etc. Just sent it back to Kershaw to have the blade replaced. It's a classic for a reason.

FJY8elz.jpg

Great story - thanks for sharing!

I had several Leeks years back but I always wound up giving them away to friends when they inquired. I would get a new one from Kershawguy - usually one of his blems, and then repeat the process.

Now I rotate ZTs into my pocket, and have switched to a Dividend or Natrix , and sadly, don't currently own a Leek.

I'll have to acquire another one someday.

Thanks again for the nice story -

best

mqqn

My Leek was my first "nice" knife many, many years ago. I actually still carry it sometimes although I'll probably retire it because it actually has some sentimental value. It caused my current knife addiction. :)

It's a great knife , the Leek was the first knife I bought after joining this forum 15 years ago.
I have a few variations now, but the regular ss version is my favorite.

My first American-made knife I ever purchased. I found an Amazon deal for $27 on the stainless steel model and couldn't resist. I picked up a liner lock version in blue that I absolutely love is a dress EDC. Since then I've moved on but I still love caring that little leek. I just realized I don't have one that Serrated so maybe I should pick one up if I can find a deal.

Last edited:
Definitely the gateway knife at my house, having led to all manner of other knives being purchased and carried. A Leek, in various configurations, has been with me for fifteen years or so now, even if just as a backup in my day bag or truck. Don't know how many have been passed along as gifts or as users to employees. Great story, OP. Here are the two still seeing action.

IMG_0507.jpg

That’s a great story. I bought my son a Leek many years ago as his first knife. He’s almost 30 now and still carries it. I’ve bought him several other knives as gifts over the years, including a benchmade Amicus.

He still carries the Leek.

Great to see the Leek getting some luvin!! And kinda neat that it was the first "Good" knife purchased for some.. I have 2 that I flip as my edc.. Slim in the pocket, nice in the hand and lazer sharp!! :D
John

Just sold the 2 Leeks that I owned.

It's very popular and widely used/owned. So, there's obviously nothing "wrong" w/it but it just never suited me.

The knife that I carried as my EDC for years was a black Kershaw Shallot 1840CKT. To each their own.

Hope that you all enjoy using/carrying your Leeks for many years to come. :)

kershaw-shallot-1840ckt-speedsafe_1_6ac60d27eead1414fe6f7b2dd4b3187e.jpg

Chose to carry my Kershaw Leek yesterday, I switch between the Leek and a ZT 0350 and 0566, all assisted, but each has a different purpose and utility, so I switch between them depending on what I'm doing that day.

Yesterday I was doing a training in a new kitchen at one of Stanford Medical's new hospitals in Redwood City, CA, Stanford uses Montague ranges and ovens throughout their entire system, at the University and the hospitals, and I'm the Montague sales rep here in Northern California.

So I'm buzzing through my training teaching everyone how to operate and clean their new equipment when I get to a range with a convection oven base that's not plugged into the electrical outlet. Before I get a chance to do it myself the Executive Chef for Stanford Medical jumps behind the range to plug it in, but the cord is attached to the back of the range with a zip-tie.

Chef whips out his Kershaw Leek and cuts the the zip-tie, as soon as I see Chef's Leek I say, "Leek" and pull out my Leek to show the Chef, and that's when the fun began! Chef and I hit it off like old friends, we talked about the Leek (US made, great size for EDC, assisted opening, part serrated) while all his staff is watching...Really a great moment and aided in building a relationship with a good customer.

Someday's it all works great from beginning to end...

KR

Here's my Leek,
xXYcGYW.jpg

That touched my heart and brought a tear to my eye.

I've never owned a Leek , but I still love my Blur and ZT Scavenger . Both Ken Onion Speed Safe . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

My Leek is the od green, very plain, but I can't get over how well the ultra thin edge on 14c28n holds up
kershaw-leek-od-green-assisted-flipper-1660ol-31.jpg

I keep thinking about doing some mod to the aluminum scales to add grip, but I don't really need it... don't know what approach might be the least impact.

My Leek is the od green, very plain, but I can't get over how well the ultra thin edge on 14c28n holds up
kershaw-leek-od-green-assisted-flipper-1660ol-31.jpg

I keep thinking about doing some mod to the aluminum scales to add grip, but I don't really need it... don't know what approach might be the least impact.

Have you tried the G10 Leek? Very grippy!!!

Awesome story! Ive owned two leeks, an all black partially serrated i gave to my brother-in-law, and the redish handled leek i sold. Solid knife, just too thin a tip for my applications!
Thanks for sharing!

ya I know, I should just get another leek in g10, but honestly I would prefer to make my own wood scales or something... the older I get the more adverse to plastic I become... I know g10 helps grip, but I have way too much g10 tbh

I'll likely use some un-stabilized ironwood with a bit of tung oil, zero varnish, zero plastic... yes I promise to post pics when complete

Back