1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Carrying loaner knife vs pry bar?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by ipwn3r456, Aug 15, 2018.

1. ipwn3r456

ipwn3r456

Sep 2, 2013
    Hey all,

It seems that most of the problems that are dealt with loaning knives to other people is using the knife as a prying tool. I thought about the idea of getting a cheap second knife as a loaner, but I have seen pry bars that might be useful to do things that knives aren't intended to do.

What do you guys think? Also, are there any good pry bars that's good for EDC, that doesn't cost too much? Preferably under $20, but I am willing go to higher if it's worth it.

2. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Personally I would say don't loan anything out, and definitely would not carry some cheap knife for the purpose.

A pry bar is still great to have on you though so check out the Dasco pro 5-1/2" mini pry-bar, it's good quality and American made of actual tool steel ( many inexpensive small bars available online are cheap soft stainless ) it's available for $4.
    It's pretty readily available in stores, but can be ordered online too.
    Now if you have to you can get it in a 3 pc set available for $13 at any big box store or hsrdwhar store.
    The other two larger 7-1/2" and 9-1/2" bars will probably come in handy around the house amywanys.

3. Currawong

Currawong Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2012
    Flat head screwdriver makes a good pry bar, and you can also use it for screws.

4. trevitrace

trevitrace Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2013
    There are also small titanium versions out there. Some small enough you can carry on your keys as opposed to needing a small pry bar knapsack.

Some even have a Shackleton key or whatever it's called.

IMG_20180815_030942756.jpg

Todd21969 and Kreyzhorse like this.
  5. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    Yeah, and the people who need it most never bother about having the right tools of their own,
    And the good samarithan is always the guy with the short end of the stick ;-)
    Mini pry bar? I dunno, length is everything when it comes to exerting any form of leverage.
    But i don't blame you for trying to be a great co-worker.
    I went and got one to before it went missing at work...

uxo2 and Getting older like this.
  6. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    Kershaw has the perfect solution for you: a $22 knife and prybar :) "Barge"

[​IMG]

7. Todd21969

Todd21969

Apr 23, 2013
    The people I will loan my knife to respect my property. They also know whatever knife I hand them isn't exactly cheap and can't be replaced at the local big box store. If they break it, they will be replacing it. We are kinda big on personal responsibility at my work.

I do carry a 3" Ti widgy bar on my keys, I think I have loaned that out once or twice. It's ok for some prying, and makes a decent slotted driver. Like someone else said length=leverage so I do more light prying with my knife. The knives I carry are quality and can handle it.

I am not about to stick a 5 1/2" pry bar loose in my pocket. :eek:

[​IMG]

8. Kreyzhorse

Kreyzhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2013
    These pry bars are excellent if you want a keychain version.

9. number9

number9

Mar 5, 2017
    Another vote for the Widgy. Even the titanium is within budget. Or a Gerber Shard or Kershaw K-tool (for a lot less $$, too.)
    You could even buy a dozen Shards and give 'em away instead of loaning them.

TrippyTurtle likes this.
  10. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Don't loan out your knives. People always mess them up. There are so many threads on bladeforums about people loaning knives out even just for a few mins and they come back damaged or the person cutting themselves. It's not worth it. Just say no.

jeepin and Quiet like this.
  11. Eagle Scout

Eagle Scout Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Get a small pry bar / nail puller.

A search for - 5.5" flat pry bar - will get you options from several different makers costing $3-$7. Better/safer at the task than a beater knife plus cheap enough to be disposable. This one was from Craftsman.

Pry.jpg

Pomsbz likes this.
  12. betover

betover Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 1, 2015
    A bit of trivia. The original small pry bar was made by David Atwood who called it Pry Baby. Several years ago he posted a photo of one on another forum & said "look at what I made this weekend" & people asked to buy them & one of the posts in the thread said "I think this thing has wings". It did. I'm sure it's his most successful product so much so that so many other people have made versions. A pity he didn't patent it.

http://www.atwoodknives.com/home/10959617.php

Back on topic, I won't lend my knife, pen, pocket gun or Pry Baby to anyone else. :)

13. BitingSarcasm

BitingSarcasm

Feb 25, 2014
    +1 on the Kershaw Barge. I picked one up to stick in my pocket if I was going to be working around the house, and it works well as both knife and prybar. The prying end is also so incredibly obvious that a non-tool person might even think to use it before unfolding the knife blade to jam in a crevice.

14. davek14

davek14

May 30, 2009
    [​IMG]

15. ipwn3r456

ipwn3r456

Sep 2, 2013
    Wow, this might just hit two birds with one stone.

16. Grease

Grease

May 10, 2012
    I often wonder why there isn't a mass produced folding prybar. It wouldn't be that tough to make something beefy with an overlarge pivot that could take the stress. Wouldn't need to be made out of anything expensive, just some basic stainless that can be hardened...

17. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    Our supply room handle out tons of TL-29's and they stood up tp abuse that makes a bonafide knife knut cringe in horror. Nobody can torture a knife like 21 year old combat engineers. :eek:

Hickory n steel likes this.
  18. mt666tm

mt666tm

Nov 20, 2012
    Solution = do not loan your knife.

I never do. I ask "what for" and then I'll do the required task with the knife myself. If it is a task where my knife is not suitable I'll tell whoever is asking to find a better tool for the job.

It'd have to be a matter of life and death before I gave my knife to someone.

jeepin and Hickory n steel like this.
  19. jeepin

jeepin Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2003
    Why is it your responsibility to supply someone with a knife?

If they need to cut something let them use their teeth.

Mr. Tettnanger likes this.
  20. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    Simple: don't loan your tools unless you're prepared to have them lost, damaged, and/or abused.

jeepin likes this.