Catching Thrown Knives?

I once knew a friend who could catch a thrown knife from the air in his hand by the handle. This passage is from Draeger's "Weapons and Fighting Arts of Indonesia":

...By one training method, one expert stands some twenty feet from a training partner who throws sharpened sticks at him. He who receives them does so with a deliberate minimum of body action and, coupled to hand actions (which are made freely) that catch the sticks in mid-air, circularly reversing the sticks and redirecting their trajectories back to the original thrower, develops great finesse with his hands. When high skill is attained, the sticks are replaced by knives. A quantity of limes is always kept present. The juice of this acid fruit is used to clean the inevitable blood stains from the blades.

Does anyone here practice anything like this? Is catching thrown knives by hand a viable tactic in your opinion?

Not to sound curt, but no.

This ranks right up with "Taking a shot from that baseball-bat wielding mother up there, because I know it will put me in a GREAT position for a return strike!"

I can't honestly imagine a situation wherein being able to catch a thrown knife would a street tactic that would benefit me. Sure, it'd be impressive as Hell, but if you screw it up, your assailant will gleefully kick your head in while you lay in the street, dying as much of embarassment as of the potential bloodloss...

------------------
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy, and good with ketchup...

I have to admit that my friend and I did this in our high school years. It may not be the best tactical skill you can learn but one thing you will learn is confidence. If your truly
smile.gif
interested then start out slow with someone you trust and speed up from there. I garauntee you will bleed some but you will learn to get over it. As we all SHOULD know by now when you play with knives you will get cut, get over it and have some more fun. However this doesn't mean have some great knife thrower throw one straight for your face with intent to kill. You will die from that by the way. --Mykl

------------------
Concentration, patience, and practice always lead to success.

A buddy and myself were thowing spikes in the back yard. We were about 10 feet from the 8x4 throwing board. My friend was having a little trouble getting the spikes to stick ,so he really starts to lay them in when suddenly one of the spikes hits on the flat , flys straight back right at his face and he calmly reaches up and grabs the spike out of mid air. If he would have missed it would have ended up between his eyes.

Wanna hear a story do you, check this out.
Im 16, im playing with a balisong type knife, but really tightly locked and taped down, has really sharp plade, 9" long.
I was with a friend, we were pretend fighting, but he had a pair of chopsticks acting like he was gonna kick my ass with them. Like a teenager i pretending to do some pivots with them, from far away so "i wouldnt hurt him" and i let go, it went zooming at his left arm. He failed like a girl, and you wouldn't belive this ****, he stuck it straight into his chopstick. STRAIGHT IN, 1 cm in any direction and he got hurt bad, man I couldnt believe it.

i know some of you wont believe this, cause I thought this was pretty damn amazing, but I present you with the facts.

Orbital226

Back