1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Check out my wood

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by texas4x4hoe, Mar 29, 2012.

1. texas4x4hoe

texas4x4hoe

Feb 5, 2011
    -en scales. Lol I knew that would get your attention. Any way here's my wooden scales that I've been working on. I took an board off an old pallet from work to practice on and I'm glad I did. I thing I cut out about 3 or 4 pairs and screwed them all up in some way but I think I got all the bugs worked out on these. This was actually a piece of oak board that my dad had laying around. They still need lots of work but they are turning out good so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Guineaman

Guineaman

Jan 20, 2012
    Awesome, that's how you do it. Do it. How many never do anything because they're afraid to mess something up! Great job

3. Renegade90

Renegade90

Mar 13, 2012
    It looks like you are off to a really good start. I look forward to seeing the final product. How will you be finishing the scales? I think a nice stain would really make the wood grain pop out. Thanks for posting and please update with more pics when you are done!

4. texas4x4hoe

texas4x4hoe

Feb 5, 2011
    Yeah, the set before this one was almost just right but I messed them up on the old planer that's part of our old table saw, trying to get them a little thinner. Which is why I didn't buy a nice piece of wood to practice on. Like you said if you don't try something you may never know how it would have turned out.

5. RogueBowie

RogueBowie

Nov 16, 2011
    Looks like they're gonna turn out awesome!

6. texas4x4hoe

texas4x4hoe

Feb 5, 2011
    I'm not sure how I'll finish them maybe a stain, just not sure. Definately will be more pics.

7. The Warrior

The Warrior Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Nice work. :thumbup:

8. DeadFall27

DeadFall27 Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2011
    Very nice so far!

How did you sink the holes for the hex-nuts?
    I want to make my denim micarta but I waiting until I can figure it out...or until I get myself a Lauri or Mora blank :cool:

9. Kabarcamper

Kabarcamper

Dec 31, 2011
    Lookin good so far, grain should look pretty sweet once it stained too !! Keep us updated

10. texas4x4hoe

texas4x4hoe

Feb 5, 2011
    All I did was drill the hole out just about the same size as the flats on the nut, maybe a little smaller, and to the same depth as the other side then I got a big flat washer so I wouldn't damage the back of the scale and pulled it in with the screw.

11. Nsvens89

Nsvens89

Apr 26, 2011
    Great job man, making scales is definitely fun. I am curious as to how you made the hex holes? On the set of scales I'm working on now I used my dremel to somewhat mill them out but it looks like a 5 year old did it. Yours are nice and clean! Very nice.

Edit: Just saw your response. That's a good idea, never thought of doing it that way.

12. texas4x4hoe

texas4x4hoe

Feb 5, 2011
    Also they are very tight in there so they're basically part of the scale now. The nuts are stainless but I didn't have any screws long enough in stainless, but I'll be getting some stainless ones for the final product.

13. texas4x4hoe

texas4x4hoe

Feb 5, 2011
    Sorry I don't have any better pics yet but I snapped these before heading to work. They're still a little thick but they feel pretty good to me but the snap barely goes around the knife.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. The Warrior

The Warrior Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Nice work, looks good.

15. thrillbilly

thrillbilly Banned BANNED

Apr 16, 2011
    Noice!!!

Those turned out well! I like em. I may be on a wood scale kick lately lol

16. kmj153

kmj153

Mar 9, 2010
    Pics of your Rig please!!

17. orangish ducktape

orangish ducktape

Oct 26, 2011
    Nice, those really turned out to be pretty nice looking.

-orangish ducktape

18. texas4x4hoe

texas4x4hoe

Feb 5, 2011
    As requested. Not the most recent but they will do. I don't have any good action shots either. I never seem to have anyone to take pics when I take it out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    Looking good! Definitely think some stain would go over well. Cheers!

20. wasatchdan

wasatchdan

Jan 6, 2007
    Those scales look good so far. Great use of an old pallet.