1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chips & Salsa in the Edge (I lied about the salsa)

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by Mr.SATism, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Mr.SATism

Mr.SATism

Jul 31, 2017
    TLDR: If there are chips, uneven skips, or both, in the edge of a 4-8" blade, is it noticeable in the kitchen?

I reprofiled one of my favorite knives yesterday (4" German Style Chef, probably generic stainless). Although I love the size of it, it always had some chips in it. It took a while for me on my SIC triangle stones (they were very loaded at the time), but I noticed that I removed one chip on the edge weirdly. When I went to inspect the spot, it looked like there was a piece of metal hanging out like it was a piece of loose hair.

I did take it out and made sure that there wasn't any loose metal that might go into our food. After I went all the way up to my max grit and stropped, I noticed that when cutting paper, there was one place that kind of skipped, but other than that one spot, everything was smooth.

I've been taking blade to some easy tasks just to see if I would be able to notice the skip on food, but so far, I'm not having any bad experiences.

There are other knives in the drawer that have small chips from use, so I was wondering if any chips or skips that I might create from reprofiling (like I did yesterday), might have negative effects on user experience, or if I'm going crazy over my beginner's mistake.

Note: There's a reason why I put TLDR notes on top :p