choice between two benchmades

I have narrowed my choices down to two benchmades. They are the ones that just feels right in my absolutely huge hands. The 805 and the 806d2 respectively. Now I prefer the blade shape in the 805, but it is only available in 440c, at least as far as i am aware of. The 806d2 is well, obviously d2. I am happy with the blade shape, just not as happy. I prefer the slighly deeper blade for spreading things as this knife will do a lot of food prep.

For a little more background, I am a terrible sharpener. I can't really get one of the sharpening "systems" because I am constantly traveling, and space is at an extreme premium. Now, i think i am right in saying that the d2 will be harder to sharpen but will have better edge retention. Do I go for the d2 knowing it will be harder to learn on and suck it up, or do i get the less expensive knife with the blade shape i think will be more useful, and i personally find more elegant with the lesser steel? If I can manage to keep the D2 sharp, is there really that much of advatage to having it over the 440c?

Please feel free to add as much perspective as you can with your answer. And I know, this will open a real can of worms, but if there is another knive that you feel i absolutely muct consider feel free to add that as well. And no, the sebenza is not an option...

I have an 806 D-2. Had it about 1 1/2 years. It has performed well for me. Fit and finish are great. Have you thought about finding someone to do the sharpening for you? With the 806; you will probably not have to have it sharpened very often if you can find someone knowledgeable to sharpening. I bet someone here can steer you in the right direction to someone skilled in sharpening. I am by no means easy on my knives. I have had 3 other Benchmades and all of them have performed well.

Finding someone to sharpen it is an option, but I live in France for a good part of the year, and my language skills aren't quite where they need to be for that to be a comfortable option, but Im sure I could muddle my way through it.

I also have the 806d-2 and love it. As for sharpening have you tried the Spyderco sharpmaker? It is a compact sharpening system that works very well and is easy to use for someone just learning to sharpen.
Danny

Have you tried EZE-LAP diamond stones? Very portable and capable of sharpening any knife steel. Sharpening is very easy. It's just a matter of keeping the angle constant as you pull the edge across the stones. This is a skill worth acquiring and all it takes is practice. Go to a thrift store and buy some of their fifty cent and dollar kitchen knives to practice on. It'll give you something to do at night in your hotel room. :D

Also, I'm a fan of the 806D-2. I EDC one nearly all the time. It's not one that loses it's edge easily and is not that bad to keep sharp with a little maintenance.

glockman99

RIP Dann, you were a good guy.
"Now I prefer the blade shape in the 805, but it is only available in 440c"...

There is NOTHING wrong with the 440C that Benchmade uses in their knives!...Actually, it's one of MY favorite blade-steels. The 805 has been one of my 2 EDC's for quite some time now, and although I also have an 806D2, the 805(s) is the one that I choose to carry, as I don't like the thumb-hole to open the blade with...The dual thumb-studs work better for me. Also, like (you), I like the blade-shape of the 805 better than that of the 806.

glockman99 said:
"Now I prefer the blade shape in the 805, but it is only available in 440c"...

There is NOTHING wrong with the 440C that Benchmade uses in their knives!...

What he said. In my experience, Benchmade's 440 is a very good steel. In this instance, I would not let the blade steel be your deciding factor. I would go with the blade that feels right and works for you. The D2 will hold an edge longer, but in the event that you do start doing some of your own touchups on the road, I think the 440 will be slightly easier for you to bring to a good edge.

Just my two cents.

Not only is Benchmade's 440C a great steel, the newer TSEKs have one of the best multi-purpose blades on the market, in my opinion. If food prep is one of your main concerns, I think that 440C will be more than good enough - I mean, look at what some high-end kitchen cutlery is made of. In any case, for any knife not meant for combat/situations bordering on mild abuse, I would take the knife with the thinner edge and the higher grind. You'll see more cutting ability with the TSEK's grind than the AFCK's, regardless of blade steel.

My vote would have to go the 806; I’ve been carrying it for the last 7 months and I’m overall pleased with the edge retention and blade shape. Either way you can’t go wrong with either one they’re both BM. Like the rest I’d definitely try out the Spyderco sharpmaker it always works wonders for me.

Personally, I prefer the 806 to the 805 due to the clip-point and the thumb hole on the 806.

I think that you, based on the things you've already stated, will be happier with the 805. The 440C steel will be perfectly fine for what you want to use it for.

One of my EDC's is an 805 and I prefer it over the 806 blade shape. It's one of the best all-around users I own. And as mentioned above, BM's 440C steel is excellent. I'm always surprised when people say 440C is inferior grade steel on forums (not in this thread, but in many others). Such people obviously haven't tried BM's version of 440C. Benchmade seems to have reached that weird and difficult compromise of a steel that takes a scary-sharp edge, holds it pretty well, resharpens easily, resists corrosion very well, and is tough (i.e., lacks the brittleness of some quality blade steels).
Jim

Both of these Benchmades are great knives and they both use premium quality blade-steel with excellent heat treatments.

Having said that:
Blade-steel is no substitute for design.

If you prefer the design of one over the other, get the one you like and don't sweat the blade-steel.

BTW, one of very favorite knives, and my current EDC is a Benchmade 551 with 440C!
I'm very pleased with its performance.

Good luck,
Allen.

My 806D2 has never given me any problems sharpening. With the Spyderco Sharpmaker, it takes 5 minutes TOPS to get it to shaving sharp.

The AFCK 806D2 is the one knife that has absolutely NEVER given me problems.

Thanks for all of the help guys. I think I am going to go with the 805. With the responses I have gotten I feel comfortable with the 440C even though it is not the latest and greatest, and the blade shape speaks to me more than the 806. And, worst case, I can always get the 806 later...

zgourde said:
Thanks for all of the help guys. I think I am going to go with the 805.... And, worst case, I can always get the 806 later...

Yeah, you'll get the 806 later. And then the 710, and then a Grip, and then....

I have an 805. You won't regret your choice.
I highly strongly recommend that you buy a Spyderco Sharpmaker too, so that you will get the best from your 805.
They make a great team.

I can't speak for the 805, but the D2 in the 806 really isn't that hard to get or keep a good edge on. I've been carrying mine for awhile and love the steel.