Cobratec OTF Knives?

Recently went to a gun show and there was a vendor for these cobratec otf knives. They felt ok, and were priced 100-200. From everything I’ve read they are either good knives or overpriced Chinese clones. When I talked to the vendor he said the base knives all have 440C, and some of the upper level ones have D2 and S35VN. Do you think this could solve as a cheaper alternative to something akin to a microtech? Thanks

Imo a OTF is one place cheaping out doesn't work. Good fixed and folders can be found cheap, but a solid OTF costs. The cheap ones always turn into a bag of bolts fairly quick.
What otf knives would you recommend in the 1-300 price range?

Microtech UTX 85 new
Microtech Ultratech or Troodon on the secondary market

If I am not mistaken Cobratec was just a brand name of a number of generic china OTF's that could be had for as little as ~20-30$. I'd get a Microtech or a Guardian Tactical.

I don't know how to put a link to another thread into this one, but you can probably just do a search for this thread:

New OTF??

The consensus here seems to be that they are a “name brand” Chinese rebrand in the US. How does everyone here feel about their use of 440C, D2, and S35 in their blades?

Right after Illinois made autos legal, a Texas dealer started hitting shows up here selling nothing but Cobratechs. I bought a medium and large one, and they work, I've not had any issues, other than the zinc alloy bodies they use, are significantly heavier than higher end brands that use aluminum and titanium.

Right after Illinois made autos legal, a Texas dealer started hitting shows up here selling nothing but Cobratechs. I bought a medium and large one, and they work, I've not had any issues, other than the zinc alloy bodies they use, are significantly heavier than higher end brands that use aluminum and titanium.
Thanks for the answer, does anyone else here have any actual hands on experience with these knives?

How do you know the steel is really what they say it is? These are just branded cheap clones that you can find for 1/10th the price at places like DH. I wouldn't go near a seller pawning these off for $100-200.
The question was not whether the steel was authentic, but rather the worth of the knife if it had these types of stell

The question was not whether the steel was authentic, but rather the worth of the knife if it had these types of stell

The answer remains the same, buyer beware. Maybe OP could try Helly Tec OTFs, the logo is almost identical to Cobratec and the name has something about it that seems vaguely similar too, what a curiosity. I wonder if there are anymore "Insertnamehere Tec" companies around?

You might as well just get one of the CCC's for $25-$40 bucks as you'll get comparable quality. I don't own any OTF atm but I am in the market for one. I've been scoping gun shows and the flea markets in FL and I will say some of these CCC are total shit and some of them are actually pretty dam good.

You have to do your research and and test each one in the field. You'll start seeing which ones are quality and not. I don't condone clones but do your research on microtech clones. Many fakes out there in the OTF market. I see them all the time in the wild. Some vendors will tell you they are counterfeits and priced appropriately others may try to deceive to pass counterfeit goods. Caveat emptor.

My budget it like $50 bucks. So I am trying to find the best quality CCC that's not a clone but still has quality. A microtech for me is not in my budget and isn't going to be a option any time soon.

The Aflac Duck

Gold Member
You might as well just get one of the CCC's for $25-$40 bucks as you'll get comparable quality. I don't own any OTF atm but I am in the market for one. I've been scoping gun shows and the flea markets in FL and I will say some of these CCC are total shit and some of them are actually pretty dam good.

You have to do your research and and test each one in the field. You'll start seeing which ones are quality and not. I don't condone clones but do your research on microtech clones. Many fakes out there in the OTF market. I see them all the time in the wild. Some vendors will tell you they are counterfeits and priced appropriately others may try to deceive to pass counterfeit goods. Caveat emptor.

My budget it like $50 bucks. So I am trying to find the best quality CCC that's not a clone but still has quality. A microtech for me is not in my budget and isn't going to be a option any time soon.

WTF is a CCC?

GronK

Gold Member
They showed up at local gun shows and besides being cheap Asian copies they were claimed to be US made, in Texas. Total BS.

They showed up at local gun shows and besides being cheap Asian copies they were claimed to be US made, in Texas. Total BS.
I think they were taking them apart and putting them back together to claim they are built in the US. They’re sleezebags. RavenCrest Tactical is the one I know of that’s shady. RavenCrest is no longer around, and it wouldn’t be a large leap to assume that they became Cobratec to escape their bad reputation.

GronK

Gold Member
I think they were taking them apart and putting them back together to claim they are built in the US. They’re sleezebags. RavenCrest Tactical is the one I know of that’s shady. RavenCrest is no longer around, and it wouldn’t be a large leap to assume that they became Cobratec to escape their bad reputation.
The earliest ones I saw were actually branded Microtech. They got called out on that right away.

If they're hitting the gunshows that makes sense, I keep seeing this topic come up on gun boards too. I don't know why people bother going to gun and knife shows. It's been 12 years since I went to one but it still sounds like the same old shit. The good stuff is overpriced as hell compared to online and there is a ton of overpriced junk, clones, con artists, and people trying to blow smoke up your ass.