Cobratec OTF Knives?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by auto775, Mar 4, 2019.

1. The difference in quality between the $40 Lightning OTF and a $40 Chinese clone UTX is pretty substantial. The Lightning feels cheap, and doesn’t make a very inspiring sound. The Chinese clone I’ve handled was solidly built and fire hard. If you move up the price spectrum to the Ripper, you’re getting something every bit as nice as a Microtech for $150ish. Makes the UTX look very overpriced. And it comes with a tool for their proprietary hardware and some spare parts, which you don’t get from Microtech.

My understanding is that you can send it back to China if there’s a problem, but it comes with the takedown tool, extra spring and screws, so you’re able to fix issues yourself. In my experience, the warranty is a non-issue. I’ve only ever sent in one knife for warranty repair, and it was my dad’s pinned-together Spyderco that I didn’t feel like drilling to convert to screws. Anything that you wouldn’t be able to remedy with the Vespa’s provided spare parts is likely so catastrophic that it wouldn’t be covered by Microtech’s warranty if it happened to a UTX.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  2. MayHemAndHaw

MayHemAndHaw

May 5, 2020
    no, not you, there a guy selling OTFs on a gun site that says he replaces the springs in every knife he sells and he's been on there for years.

3. 000Robert

000Robert Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2020
    Oh. My OTF was only $50 so I expected that I would have to replace something. It is a much better knife than I thought it would be.

4. Yo Mama

Yo Mama

Sep 25, 2011
    I assure you, the price of a Microtech is equal to the value you get.

I have a few:

[​IMG]

Send an otf to China if you want to wait a few years for the mail to get it back to you, if you ever get it back through customs. Microtech will fix anything that was not flagrant abuse.

No way is a clone as good of quality as a real product.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  5. None of the Microtech's I've used have been good enough to justify the premium price. They have to charge more because their labor costs a lot more, but that's about it. Machining quality was equal (although I've never taken a Microtech apart since I haven't bothered to track down the necessary tool for their hardware), anodizing was slightly better on the Vespa (somewhat subjective), blade grind on the Vespa was better (albeit Microtech doesn't really make anything comparable to the Japanese Tanto with hollow-ground main edge and convex tip), and the Vespa doesn't have crazy billboarding all over it (again, that's a subjective opinion on the aesthetics). Other than availability, which is firmly in favor of Microtech, and being made domestically, if that's something that makes a difference, there's not enough in favor of the UTX to make it worth 2-3x as much, at least to me. Tony Marfione's history of questionable business practices doesn't help Microtech's case.

As I said about the warranty, it doesn't add any real value to me. On a knife that doesn't come with spare parts and is intentionally made to keep users from taking it apart, the manufacturer really should provide a good warranty to take care of issues. But, if you've got a bag of spares and the tool to disassemble it, there's less reason to need someone else to service the knife. Anything that can't be easily fixed with a screwdriver and a new spring is probably catastrophic enough that having it covered by anything but the most liberal warranty is unlikely.

6. Powercat80

Powercat80

Dec 5, 2020
    I realize this thread is a little old, but I'm wondering where to get the best price for a Ripper? The best I've seen is $171 on DHgate. Don't find allot of dealers online. TIA

7. Dallas T

Dallas T Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Grindworx is good

8. Billy The Hungry

Billy The Hungry

Aug 11, 2020
    Bought my Microtech Ultratech for $280. You can get a UTX 85 for a little less, around $240.

I agree with some of the posters here about not cheaping out on OTF knives. If you can, save up and get a good one.

mdrgn79 and 000Robert like this.
  9. Powercat80

Powercat80

Dec 5, 2020
    Based on the comments here, the Vespa Ripper doesn't sound to be a cheap knife. Just Chinese made. Posters have said that the difference in price makes it worth taking a look. I have zero experience in OTF's, so I was just trying to find out how much less expensive are they?

10. Powercat80

Powercat80

Dec 5, 2020
    I realize your post is over a year old, but where can I get a Ripper for around a $100? TIA

11. gqllc007

gqllc007 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2007
    I looked on Aliexpress and DHGate....Aliexpress was like $110-$150 and DHgate was like $170
    I have no clue why the difference in prices unless Aliexpress sells copies of the Ripper??? Anyone know why the difference in price and how do we know which is the "real" ripper??

12. WOODS127

WOODS127

Dec 6, 2020
    I have never heard of "cobratec" Have heard of Microtech and vipertek though. these OTF's are likely a scam. do not buy them, Report them as counterfeit or a scam.

13. Powercat80

Powercat80

Dec 5, 2020
    I just started another topic about AliExpress. Asking how trustworthy they are. I have no experience and I don't want a knock-off. With regards to price difference, I think Vespa makes a D2 version of the same knife at a lower price. The original Ripper is M390.

14. Vespa makes two versions of the Ripper, one with M390 and one with D2 (and no tritium tube in the switch).

15. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    Got me, prices fluctuate or maybe you're only seeing the nicer model @OrangeBlueOrangeBlue: mentions here:

IIRC I paid (a while ago now) something like $112 for the grey one and $148 for the fancier black/green version with the tritium vial. Bizarrely they have less wiggle than any Microtech OTF I've owned, one has the least all around blade play of any OTF I've handled personally (admittedly only a couple of dozen or so).

The handles are a bit small and smooth but they're tiny knives for an OTF with that much blade and they carry great. The F&F on mine are top notch as well, no complaints. I haven't carried mine in ages, but IMO they're fantastically well made and were an absolute steal at the price when I bought them.

OrangeBlueOrangeBlue likes this.
  16. K.O.D.

K.O.D. Sanity Not Included Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    While I've never owned a microtech, I've handled many. The glass breaker thing always turned me off.

I've also handled a cobratech. It was absolute garbage. Rattled, tons of blade play.

No thanks. I'll keep my Hogue, Heretic, an BT.

17. Billy The Hungry

Billy The Hungry

Aug 11, 2020
    I see people talk about Microtech's having wiggle, but mine is pretty damn tight. There is some wiggle, but nothing that bothers me, and I'm ocd with knives. Maybe I just got a tighter one.

18. The only real "flaw" I can point to on mine is that the titanium is anodized a different shade of blue than the hard anodizing on the handle. The carbon inlays, where shortcuts and poor production quality would be very obvious, are perfect.

evilgreg likes this.
  19. Juan A

Juan A

Feb 19, 2021
    So I own two Coba Tec knives and I think both are solidly built all around good OTFs especially for the price range. A couple weeks ago I decided to take one apart to clean and in the process got side tracked and misplaced all the hardware. I think it some how got tossed out. Anyway I contacted Cobra Tec to see if I could purchase replacement parts. Within 24 hours I got a reply letting me know the parts were on the way free of charge. Would I recommend a Cobra Tec knife? Hell yes!!!

Billy The Hungry likes this.
  20. Billy The Hungry

Billy The Hungry

Aug 11, 2020
    I got to handle a couple Cobra Techs finally. The blade play was absolutely no more than my Microtech. They didn't fire quite as hard, but the action felt great.

Juan A likes this.